Montana Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#3601 Post by oldmanclippy » 07 Aug 2022 22:28

killingjoke28336 wrote: 07 Aug 2022 22:00 Anyone got a favourite route already? I can't decide, the I-15 to Idaho Falls is really cool and seems so desolate, same goes for the 59 Miles City to Gilette, love those.
Hands down, US-2 from Shelby to East Glacier Park. The reveal of the Rocky Mountain Front at Cut Bank Coulee is perfect as far as I can judge, and it's one of the rare times I've audibly gasped/cheered/guffawed at a video game. The first time it's happened in an SCS game, that's for sure. I didn't think that Montana would provide a road to knock off US-191 through Jackson Hole as my favorite road, and I'm not sure I can say it did since I've actually been to Jackson Hole IRL so I can more authoritatively attest to its quality, but in terms of sheer joy and wonder I think that part of US-2 might have it beat. Whoever did that, they deserve a big fat pay raise :D US-2 from St Ignace to Everett will surely be my first trip after finishing the Cruising Michigan event, and that elation upon finally hitting the mountains after hundreds of miles of northwoods and open grasslands will be absolutely amazing.

On the topic of US-2, I've read enough firsthand accounts in this thread that the eastern stretch of US-2 isn't as inaccurate as I've made it out to be, so I'll defer to them on that one. I-94, I'll still talk about that one until North Dakota comes.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
killingjoke28336

#3602 Post by killingjoke28336 » 07 Aug 2022 22:35

I-94 they went for the wrong spots on google maps I think when comparing the two. Most of the time there are far less trees and looks more empty. But it looks still great nonetheless.
US-2 has got a really great vibe, it just feels so rural and got really lots of diversity.
Sanssouci

#3603 Post by Sanssouci » 07 Aug 2022 23:30

flight50 wrote: 07 Aug 2022 18:09 Freight Market actually gives you the most load options. I rarely use owned trailers. ATS is missing way to much cargo for me so I only go to them on occasions. I like variety more than anything. You don't have to use owned trailers for the event, that's optional.
Tristman wrote: 07 Aug 2022 18:06 Sounds like it didn’t register Montana on your WoT profile. I’m not sure why it otherwise wouldn’t give you jobs into Montana. Normally when you install a new DLC, the game will tell you after starting up or entering your profile that you need to add the new DLC to your WoT, which is just clicking a button. Maybe for some reason it didn’t ask you, or you forgot to register it?
That's what I told the poster the other day but I don't think they understood or cared to read what I said. So I stopped trying to help.
@flight50 Apologies, I missed your message as I think the one immediately before was also for me. Would have saved me a few hours but it’s all sorted now. Thanks anyway!
Last edited by Sanssouci on 08 Aug 2022 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
StereoBlows

#3604 Post by StereoBlows » 08 Aug 2022 00:09

I'm really digging Montana so far but the lack of gas station diversity is pretty shocking IMO. It's pretty much Gallon Oil after Gallon Oil. Even some of the Haullets and Driverse's I've seen have had Gallon Oil canopies. Must be a glitch right? But not sure.
xRECONLOBSTERx

#3605 Post by xRECONLOBSTERx » 08 Aug 2022 01:31

Hmmm, where do I post this? Found in a field outside of Glasgow,

[ external image ]
The Torgo

#3606 Post by The Torgo » 08 Aug 2022 02:08

find myself driving like 30 mph, google maps in hand, don't want to miss anything!

so far, loving it, sure there's some missing things here and there, but overall it's a feel good dlc
rbsanford

#3607 Post by rbsanford » 08 Aug 2022 05:58

I just drove Going to the Sun.

I've been everywhere in ATS, of course, and I've been to most places in ETS2 (the only map DLC I don't have is Iberia), including the Großglockner Road. Let me just say one thing, without exaggeration: Going to the Sun is the most scenic road in the entire SCS universe, hands down, no contest. The previous most scenic road in ATS, the Trail Ridge Road, while still being very beautiful, has been completely outclassed. I came in with high expectations, and this road went beyond them. Did only one person really make it? Whoever did this road deserves a big raise and a promotion.

For anyone who hasn't driven it yet, I'd recommend going from west to east. The wonder begins gradually, and after you round the first switchback, everything just sort of unfolds as you move east, and it's one amazing view after another. Then after you crest Logan Pass it's another gradual transition, this time back to the normal world. Then, when you think you're all done, you get this one last view from US 89:
[ external image ]
It's been shown in the Glacier blog post, the trailer, and the official gameplay video, but when you see it in this context, after having driven Going to the Sun, the view feels absolutely massive.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Optional Features

#3608 Post by Optional Features » 08 Aug 2022 06:50

Montana is battling Colorado for the title of best state so far. While I will always have frustrations about some of the unused companies that I'd like to deliver to, I-90 (haven't even seen all of it) is one of their best highways yet. The curves are more banked than many previous highways (and feel much more natural); the exit ramps are properly long with room to decelerate; and the mountain passes are properly steep and require dropping gears to climb. With my favorite 50 ton mod in action, I was down to like 17 mph climbing one mountain in this setup.

Great work by the SCS team. Now, just a few non standard places to deliver (ranches especially), some buyable truck yards, and an occasional hotel with a sleep trigger, and it would be about perfect.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
ducatifan

#3609 Post by ducatifan » 08 Aug 2022 08:45

I just started playing Montana yesterday. I was in the forum the last days since release and it's so nice to play now. To read your feedback and also some negatives about this DLC and then to play is a pleasure! It shows how high the bar has risen. 2-3 years ago this DLC quality had been unthinkable - now we see even in this brilliant quality some potential. Concrats SCS!
raskol

#3610 Post by raskol » 08 Aug 2022 09:58

friends, I have been dealing with a few rocks in the game for a long time, I took a little color palette from utah rock sediment and edited it, it looked nice, I will rework some areas in the game, I will renew the rock on the helena road from montana, I will rework the rock on the first entrance of utah red bluff here, as in the first entrance, I will rework here, I will make it look right, it looks great because I will touch the red rocks in the wyoming casper there because there is an image that I do not want because
there will still be places to renovate, of course.

my painting endeavors are still in the project phase

picture_1(red_sediment);
[ external image ]
image_2(red_sand);
[ external image ]
image_3(red_dark);
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”