Montana Discussion Thread

-MLP-

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#3621 Post by -MLP- » 08 Aug 2022 15:10

oldmanclippy wrote: 08 Aug 2022 14:35 ... Yes, it's starting to plateau ...
So it's not just me...
raskol

#3622 Post by raskol » 08 Aug 2022 15:26

friends, I have been dealing with a few rocks in the game for a long time, I took a little color palette from utah rock sediment and edited it, it looked nice, I will rework some areas in the game, I will renew the rock on the helena road from montana, I will rework the rock on the first entrance of utah red bluff here, as in the first entrance, I will rework here, I will make it look right, it looks great because I will touch the red rocks in the wyoming casper there because there is an image that I do not want because
there will still be places to renovate, of course.

my painting endeavors are still in the project phase

picture_1(red_sediment);
[ external image ]
image_2(red_sand);
[ external image ]
image_3(red_dark);
[ external image ]
Bedavd

#3623 Post by Bedavd » 08 Aug 2022 15:53

I’ve been around the state a lot more now, and I think the Missoula <-> Billings section of I-90 is my favorite part of interstate in the game rn. Particularly descending from Butte to Bozeman is just wonderful. I haven’t yet descended down into CDA yet but I hope that stacks up similarly well, even without all the cool little towns in Idaho along the way. I remember that was QUITE the drive.
Last edited by Bedavd on 08 Aug 2022 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#3624 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 16:03

VTXcnME wrote: 08 Aug 2022 13:39 Texas is gonna have to be perfect to outshine Montana in my mind.
Agreed and I don't think it will be. It won't measure up to many people as it should. At least not when it comes to ICC's. I'm hoping to get to change my words in the future but as of now, I can't say that.

@yukonjack_ak Understood on Billings. I agree that more in Billing could have happened. I think what you had is good, just too many of them. I do like a few remote depots though. I honestly don't agree with marking Laurel. I think it should have been scenic with remote depots to Billings. Butttt, its a done deal now. I can't wait til next weekend to discover more. I'm not sure I'll get a chance before Friday. I have a busy work week. Heck I shouldn't be on there now, lol. But I try clearing notifications. Topics around here are just to exciting for me to miss, lol.

@oldmanclippy I too think things are starting to plateau.....starting with Idaho. This is good. I like this. The quality and detail is the same. Its consistent. Obviously each state has something different to offer. Oklahoma should be a sweet deal for them though. Smaller and dlc 3. They are a very impressive team based on their experience though. 2 thumbs of for that team. It would be nice if they stay together but I'm sure people will get shifted around.

I haven't visited Glacier yet but the mapper has made a huge name for himself. I'd love it to keep that guy in the West. Get him in Eastern California, Nevada and Arizona. His work is top notch. When its time for Mount Rushmore or the Black Hills, he could go there. I know the I-70 mapper is top notch as well. The route to Salmon on US-93 with the Idaho dlc was another great job. There's terrain talent on the ATS team and I think we keep them in the West. If Canada and Mexico was on the menu, I'd push them there too.

@Bedavd Yes I like Butte to Bozeman a lot too. Its a great drive from Missoula to CDA imo. There are grade there for sure that made my truck work. I'm trying to wear I-90 out as much as I can for the first week or 2 while discovering everything South of it before going beyond.
luetze

#3625 Post by luetze » 08 Aug 2022 16:15

BASSLovah wrote: 08 Aug 2022 14:41 I've also seen some very low-res hill textures right next to some driveable roads and I really hope they work on that..

Other than that, amazing DLC!
My thoughts on this DLC exactly.

Much of what I've seen of Montana so far makes me feel very positive about that DLC. The one negative thing you also mentioned are those low res panos. Even if I find that overall it is better solved in Montana than in Wyoming before, I have to say again and again these low res panos really tarnish the overall visual impression especially these greenish panos are just awful. They used them also around Truckee in the California redo lately and that just destroys a lot of the atmosphere. I really hope we come to a point where these low res panos are getting replaced by more high res panos and that the background pano high gets generally lifted a bit at many places.

Overall though I really like the Montana DLC. Also Idaho really starts to shine now and if we could get parts of US-20 and MT-200 in the future that would be pretty perfect.

One small observation to end on. In Glasgow I had quite a few stutters despite having a pretty potent system. Reminded me of some cities in Idaho, which are still the worst optimized in the whole SCS universe to this day I'd say.
Last edited by luetze on 08 Aug 2022 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
Tristman

#3626 Post by Tristman » 08 Aug 2022 16:19

I did a job from Sidney to Spokane via US-2 yesterday, took me about 4 real life hours I think. :)
It was a very scenic drive, I loved all of it. I even parked my trailer in West Glacier to do the Going to the Sun Road and then finish my job afterwards. Glacier Park is extremely impressive, kudos to whoever did that.

So far I'm very happy with Montana, it might even outdo Colorado which in my eyes was the best DLC so far. I still have to visit Thompson Falls, downtown Butte, Miles City and a lot of the north-south connections, but I'm sure they'll be good as well. I-90 between Missoula and Billings is probably the best part of the DLC, as was mentioned by someone.

My criticisms are pretty much what has been said already, the lack of US-20 between Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone, and low resolution mountain textures here and there. Both seem fairly easy to fix though.
luetze wrote: 08 Aug 2022 16:15
One small observation to end on. In Glasgow I had quite a few stutters despite having a pretty potent system. Reminded me of some cities in Idaho, which are still the worst optimized in the whole SCS universe to this day I'd say.
I might have also noticed this, I don't remember for sure though. Idaho was rough in the beginning, but they optimized that really well over time, so I have faith they will do the same in Montana if people make it known.
flight50

#3627 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 16:26

I can't wait to really love Montana fully. I need to see a lot more. But I'm hoping it tops my list for awhile. I don't think Texas will overthrow it for me, not even if a ton for ICC's comes. I've been waiting for Montana for years.

The low res that everyone is mentioning, I'm sure its related to performance. They are in the far backgrounds for the most part. At least the roads I've traveled. They are not the prettiest but hey add a ton of depth though which we never had before. Drive Montana/Wyoming backroads and note the backgrounds. Then drive Nevada and Arizona and note what's in the distance with them. Its a night and day difference. So its and improvement if you want to go back to 2016.
luetze

#3628 Post by luetze » 08 Aug 2022 16:27

Tristman wrote: 08 Aug 2022 16:19
I might have also noticed this, I don't remember for sure though. Idaho was rough in the beginning, but they optimized that really well over time, so I have faith they will do the same in Montana if people make it known.
You are right it got better optimised over the time but I'd say there is still room for improvent particularly in Boise, Idaho Falls and Twin Falls.
Bedavd

#3629 Post by Bedavd » 08 Aug 2022 16:34

@flight50 Good to know you like it! I have somewhat of a biased memory of the descent since I did it in my Outback filled to the brim with all my worldly possessions. Those steep slopes and curves really feel a lot more dangerous when you're in a top-heavy station wagon trying to keep up with traffic lol. Maybe I'll try and head to CDA tonight.

With Montana, I can officially recreate one full day of my cross-country move, which is really cool! The hotel we stayed at in Bozeman is modeled in the game, as is the gas station we stopped off at in Missoula. From there each place we ended up stopping for gas/food is reachable or nearly reachable all the way until Seattle. In fact the only part not modeled in the game is North Seattle where I actually live! I should move further south just so I can say my apartment is also in the game, lol.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
BASSLovah

#3630 Post by BASSLovah » 08 Aug 2022 16:36

luetze wrote: 08 Aug 2022 16:15

My thoughts on this DLC exactly.

Much of what I've seen of Montana so far makes me feel very positive about that DLC. The one negative thing you also mentioned are those low res panos. Even if I find that overall it is better solved in Montana than in Wyoming before, I have to say again and again these low res panos really tarnish the overall visual impression especially these greenish panos are just awful. They used them also around Truckee in the California redo lately and that just destroys a lot of the atmosphere. I really hope we come to a point where these low res panos are getting replaced by more high res panos and that the background pano high gets generally lifted a bit at many places.
I haven't been around the new Truckee area and It saddens me to hear that.. It's human nature and the bad outweighs the good and even though everything else is impecable and the detail on the road is amazing, seeing those textures really breaks it for me..

flight50 wrote: 08 Aug 2022 16:26
The low res that everyone is mentioning, I'm sure its related to performance. They are in the far backgrounds for the most part. At least the roads I've traveled. They are not the prettiest but hey add a ton of depth though which we never had before. Drive Montana/Wyoming backroads and note the backgrounds. Then drive Nevada and Arizona and note what's in the distance with them. Its a night and day difference. So its and improvement if you want to go back to 2016.
Correct, I am aware they place them in the far backdrops to improve performance. A High-res texture would use more performance while barely improving the scenery since they're mostly hidden.

The problem appears when those low-res textures are right next to the road, with not even trees between the road and the low-res textures. I can't recall where exactly I saw them and I'm at work right now but I'll point them out when I find them again.

Return to “General discussion about the game”