Oklahoma Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#271 Post by oldmanclippy » 08 Aug 2022 19:48

Sara wrote: 08 Aug 2022 19:17 Actually, also in relation to those 3, why is the road layout within those three states more "grid" like than the other states?

Just looking at these three states and it looks more like a city layout.
The real answer to this question is the Public Land Survey System, which is how most of the land in the United States is divided, with many exceptions. Mostly states that were under direct control of other countries, such as Louisiana and Texas, but even those use PLSS for parts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System PLSS works best in states that are flat and open, hence why Kansas especially follows a grid system so rigidly.

This is a good example of the grid system working despite being bisected by a major river in Nebraska: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8158497 ... a=!3m1!1e3 But notice how when you get further from the river and the terrain becomes more undulating, the grid system stops. Or look at North Dakota and see how the grids taper off as you go west, finally disappearing at the badlands of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
flight50

#272 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 19:55

To add to what other said, its much easier to do grid if you don't have mountains and grades to worry about. Its this exact reason I think road density should be a focus for the Great Plains.
Carfreak200

#273 Post by Carfreak200 » 08 Aug 2022 21:15

I'm not sure if a potential timeline has been discussed yet. But I think it's entirely possible we get OK in 8-10 months. The state is much smaller and less geographically difficult to map. So it should take less time to build if it's planned out well. Theoretically, that is. But this Montana team has proven itself to be incredibly talented. Even if some of them move to a different map team. I think it's possible we get Oklahoma by March or May. Hopefully, 3-5 months after Texas. Which is actually so close!
Best Free ATS Mods viewtopic.php?t=317006

Life's too Short to Drive Boring Trucks

Current Garage:
  • Rezbilt 389 (Allen Rezbilt)
  • Freightliner Classic XL (BSA)
  • Peterbilt 379X (Chief86)
55sixxx

#274 Post by 55sixxx » 08 Aug 2022 21:21

My theory is sometime around June/July... March or May is too early and I don't want such an important state to ATS as Oklahoma to be rushed out (I would also love to see it coming in March but I won't keep my hopes up at all). Davido's team already moved to the next state, which is most certainly OK and considering how smaller this state is, I can see June/July being a huge possibility with KS/NE coming further along 2023 at around November or December.
Trakaplex

#275 Post by Trakaplex » 08 Aug 2022 21:25

Carfreak200 wrote: 08 Aug 2022 21:15 I'm not sure if a potential timeline has been discussed yet. But I think it's entirely possible we get OK in 8-10 months. The state is much smaller and less geographically difficult to map. So it should take less time to build if it's planned out well. Theoretically, that is. But this Montana team has proven itself to be incredibly talented. Even if some of them move to a different map team. I think it's possible we get Oklahoma by March or May. Hopefully, 3-5 months after Texas. Which is actually so close!
If a team of ten worked on it, yes. But OK's road infrastructure is at the Texas scale, but worse. Ten months can work. I guess it would be easier though, since there's only two primary metro areas (they are smaller and less busier than anything in Texas) and the landscape is a bit flatter. Just hoping if Davido works on Oklahoma, he doesn't omit a sizable number of roads, like what we saw on Montana.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
KeganMinecraft

#276 Post by KeganMinecraft » 08 Aug 2022 22:17

angrybirdseller wrote: 05 Aug 2022 08:34 Will see think Oklahoma will be comparable to Washington in road miles, but fewer cities around 10 of them same thing with Kansas and Nebraska. Also, more small settlement will arrive requiring more assets.

Oklahoma City is will be setup like Denver layout I bet.
i think it will be similar to Butte MT but with some exterior roads I believe those roads will be OK 9 in Norman S 19th St/SW 149th ST in Oklahoma City/Moore(Though that could be removed in a revamp if the east west connector goes in) SW 44th ST Near the airport as well as Airport rd. NE 23rd St Where US 62 is and SE 15th SE 2nd or Covell Rd in my guess is SE 2nd St because of Route 66 they could get away with doing Covell Road though as well due to growing industry then Waterloo Rd as a gas station stop all in Edmond as far it goes for north and south streets The Kickapoo Turnpike Choctaw Rd Douglas Blvd Sooner Rd (for access from I40 to US 77) in Norman) Council Rd (for access to hobby lobby distribution if they add it and to a Peterbilt Dealership)then Radio Rd for another truck stop and possibly a Loves Distibution Center where there they could put in Phoenix their parody for Loves as of 1.45 then

They could squeeze in I240 but trucks are not allowed on that highway in between I 35 and I 44
oldmanclippy

#277 Post by oldmanclippy » 08 Aug 2022 22:20

Population-wise, OKC and Tulsa metro areas are both bigger than El Paso but smaller than DFW/Houston/SA/Austin, and Denver for comparison. But mapping wise? Both OKC and Tulsa are probably more difficult than Denver. Denver only had I-25 and I-70/I-76. OKC has I-35, I-40, and I-44. Tulsa has I-44/I-244, US-412, US-75 from at least one direction, and possibly the Muskogee Turnpike. And there has to be a convincing distance between them. It won't be easy that's for sure.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
flight50

#278 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 22:58

I'm with @55sixxx on Oklahoma. March is too early but what about April. We skipped a month, lol. May though, that could be the earliest May seems more like open beta time and we get it June/July. Remember that you really start the release clock when a dlc starts full production. If most of the team is in Texas and if Texas doesn't release until Nov/Dec.....a dlc has to go thru 1-2 months of testing. SCS goes on holidays the 3rd week of Dec and don't return until 1st sometimes the 2nd week of January. So full production on Oklahoma won't kick in til Jan 2023 more than likely. Unless Texas is out in Nov then they start full time Oklahoma in Dec.

With testing in mind, that is not a lot of time either way though for Oklahoma for March to kick out a dlc. Its gonna take at least April/May to start polishing it for a Summer release.

I agree with oldmanclippy as well. OKC will not be easy when it comes to the interchange junction. Not at 1:20 scale that is. That interchange alone is the size of a scenic city. There's also a river involved which takes up space for industry. None of those interstates can be omitted thru OKC, at least not the South parts. I-44 North of I-40 could be omitted and picked back up off I-35. Otherwise, we get that North Loop for I-44.
angrybirdseller

#279 Post by angrybirdseller » 08 Aug 2022 23:24

Oldclippy right about Oklahoma City mappers get practice for Kansas City and Omaha. :lol: Definitely I-44 and I-40 most important routes. The I-44 heads straight to St Louis. Mapping fun is St Louis as lost of roads to eliminate. I-44 and I-35 that Mixmaster interchange space eater lol. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.601264, ... .77z?hl=en.
flight50

#280 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 23:59

I don't know a ton about Oklahoma but 2 things I do know. 1) I'm gonna have fun learning about it and 2) I'm sure SCS will give us a great state.

Quality wise, I have zero concerns. But the evil step sister shows up.........ICCs. What new will we get that we don't have already. We don't know what Texas will bring but I'm sure Oklahoma will take advantage of everything before it. Montana brought a few nation wide type industries though. Electric company, landscape, Waste management and silane gas. Each of those 4 should appear in 1-2 location with every dlc. Every state has them. Rebrand them and bring new prefab once the numbers get higher than 25-30 uses though. Texas is bringing glass. That could go in like 50% of the states. Grain elevators can go in all the GP states. Not sure what else Texas contributes so Oklahoma will have to make its own path.

I hope Oklahoma can bring at least 1-2 new industries along with a few new companies. At least 4-5 new companies. I don't expect much more than Montana for any state other than Texas and California. But come 2023, we focus should be all on Oklahoma.

Return to “General discussion about the game”