VR - experimental support

KingOfTheRoad77

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#2011 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 09 Aug 2022 06:30

dhrto wrote: 03 Aug 2022 20:58 I can confirm the OpenXR mod works wonders with my HP Reverb G2. See my post a couple of pages back (also includes instructions): viewtopic.php?p=1702571#p1702571
Yes, I remember.
At the time being, it didn't work with Pimax headsets yet.
So I was a little bit imprecise ;)

@Montana:
Yes, I can confirm, it once again needs a little bit more performance than Wyoming or Idaho 👍
I think, it's a little bit the same as with Austria Reworked in ETS2: I notice the FPS drops as soon as crossing the border from almost any other country around 😂
Although I wish it would be other than that - however the difference in graphics and atmosphere is worth it.
Krists

#2012 Post by Krists » 09 Aug 2022 15:25

I might need your help - I installed openXR and followed all instructions, I disabled HAGS, turned on INS and FRR in openXR, it skips the SteamVR, but somehow I still get 65/75 FPS.
It also seems like there's a lot of reprojection as I feel significant stuttering when turning in corners or in junctions.

As I mentioned before, I'm using Reverb G2 with 3164x3096 per eye resolution (it was even higher than current via steamVR supersampling in my April/May tests which also seemed smoother), I'm using 3080TI, 5800x3D CPU and 2x16GB 3600MHZ CL14 RAM.

For me OpenXR works on other games as it significantly improved Dirt 2.0 and Elite Dangerous performance, however I don't seem to have any significant gains on ATS/ETS2...

Also - is there a way how to qualitatively measure the performance as without SteamVR I am not able to use fpsVR?
dhrto

#2013 Post by dhrto » 09 Aug 2022 16:47

That's strange. Outside the cities I get a solid 90 fps with my HP G2 and a vanilla RTX3080, not using any NIS/FSR. I'm not running any supersampling though. Have you checked maybe the stereo_buffer_scale is higher than 1?

You can install the OpenXR Toolkit, which provides an overlay with fps (needs configuration, see documentation):
https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

EDIT: I see you mentioned FFR, so you probably already installed the toolkit.
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.
KingOfTheRoad77

#2014 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 10 Aug 2022 06:03

Krists wrote: 09 Aug 2022 15:25 I might need your help - I installed openXR and followed all instructions, I disabled HAGS, turned on INS and FRR in openXR, it skips the SteamVR, but somehow I still get 65/75 FPS.
It also seems like there's a lot of reprojection as I feel significant stuttering when turning in corners or in junctions.
Are you driving permanently with headlights on perhaps?

=> look here:
JC_YYZ wrote: 31 Jul 2022 21:37 I figured I would post this VR question in this topic to see if anyone has experienced the same.

I have a Reverb G2/3080ti/12900K setup and I am struggling with a very specific issue (moreso in ATS than ETS2). I haven't gone crazy with the settings (125% scaling in-game) and I experience buttery smooth performance except when I turn on the headlights. As soon as the first or second stage of the lights go on, I get a judder that doesn't go away until the lights go off. This is especially prevalent in ATS - with any truck. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a setting or some other option that I need to look at?

Just thought I would ask here since there seems to be tons of VR experience here.

Thanks in advance.
At the time being, I answered I couldn't confirm.

Meanwhile, I can !

[ external image ]

I suppose, as I did not have stable 74/75 FPS with fholgers openvr-mod before, but somewhere between 65-75 "only", I didn't notice the FPS drop so much when switching on headlights at night: It was stuttering a bit with headlights off, and it stuttered a bit more with headlights on. But it was still playable as it used to be, and due to fholger even significantly better in some areas and situations than without fholger.

Now, with OpenXR reducing SteamVR's overhead and having stable 74/75 during daytime everywhere (except newer DLC settlementes/cities in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana now), the FPS drop when turning on headlights is noticeable at once as is the change between day and night.
I get used to it (again) after half a minute. But at the first moment, it is a bit annoying.

So, just check if you feel and benchmark any significant difference in FPS with headlights off or on.

:)
Krists

#2015 Post by Krists » 10 Aug 2022 10:51

Regarding headlights - in ATS I only used the during nights and I couldnt see much difference with FPS whenever headlights were on or off. At least FPSoverlay remained in the same 65-75 range. In ETS it depends on a countty, but this time I was driving around Austria during the day and without headlights and the FPS range was around 60-70.

Actually I am not that much concerned about getting the highest FPS if they are stable and above 60. What really bothers me is stuttering during the turns - image gets super blurry and reprojection turns on, although the framerates are still in a above 50.

Which tool did you use to record the fps?
KingOfTheRoad77

#2016 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 10 Aug 2022 14:26

MSI Afterburner

And yes: Stuttering is first and stronger noticeable around corners and when turning. Not related to your config and HMD only.
JC_YYZ

#2017 Post by JC_YYZ » 10 Aug 2022 21:57

That’s why it was so noticeable to me, because it wasn’t really bad…it just stuttered enough that my eye picked it up and it became annoying. Especially cornering.
Turn off the lights and it was smooth again. ATS was far worse than ETS and if I was using an addon truck, it was more pronounced (as they generally are more taxing on a system).

Glad to see it wasn’t just me losing my mind :)
KingOfTheRoad77

#2018 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 12 Aug 2022 17:07

I made a first session with OpenXR in ETS2.

=> I can confirm, too, that ETS2 doesn't seem to be affected by headlights on as much as ATS... for whatever reason.

[ external image ]

=> Driving first within reworked Hannover (two companies, garages, truck dealer), then from Hannover to Hamburg. Day, but rain when leaving Hannover, so I had to turn on lights.
I made quite a dozen of trials with headlights off, on, off, on, for several seconds - but even if there are drops in FPS, it is far less noticeable than it is/was in ATS. And both, Montana as well as Hannover probably use latest assets, texture models etc. pp, and even Hamburg has been reworked one or two years ago, so it is not "original vanilla" any more.
I even was driving with the modded Volvo FH16 2020 from Sanax, and even though, it felt better than with the SCS Mack Anthem or Peterbilt I was driving in ATS.

@Komat
Is there a difference in the (lighting) engine of both games...?

Or might it be, the American truck's larger and visible hood is affecting lights and lighting in a different way...? Just thinking and wondering about it... 🤔
benja

#2019 Post by benja » 13 Aug 2022 16:58

I've been off for quite a while but recently went back to ETS2/ATS for the montana event. I am happy to see some improvements on the VR version with the motion tracking not breaking anymore when ending a delivery. Thanks Komat !

There's one improvement I'd love to see is the ability to cap the framerate when switching the menu to the monitor. I like using the monitor to navigate the menus as it gives me a break from being in the headset, but it makes my GPU run crazy hard pumping north of 250 fps. Both the in-game settings and nVidia control panel's limiter have no impact over this and I'm not sure if there's any way to do it currently.
Komat
SCS Software

#2020 Post by Komat » 16 Aug 2022 10:49

KingOfTheRoad77 wrote: 12 Aug 2022 17:07 Is there a difference in the (lighting) engine of both games...?
The engine is the same. Could be different setting of the lights itself however I think they are fairly similar in both games.
benja wrote: 13 Aug 2022 16:58 Both the in-game settings and nVidia control panel's limiter have no impact over this and I'm not sure if there's any way to do it currently.
The game currently always disables vsync when running in VR mode.

Return to “General discussion about the game”