How would you like the States DLC bundles to be released?

How would you like or think SCS will release the states bundles for ATS

Option 1 - Release the States on the same date with their own Steam page and a special Steam bundle price.
38%
Option 2 - Release the States as a single DLC like ETS2 does with countries.
63%

Total votes: 64

JoeAlex23

How would you like the States DLC bundles to be released?

#1 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Aug 2022 02:56

Since more speculation has started about what states will SCS bundle in the upcoming years and that got me thinking about how will SCS handle the release of said bundles.

So, i decided to create a poll to see what other users here think, as you can see i added 2 options to the poll, just choose the one you would like. I personally would be happy with Option 1 but Option 2 sounds more likely.

I'll try to explain the two options the best way i can, this excludes anything related to production, marketing or blogging the bundles.

Option 1; They release each state on the same date but each one gets it's own Steam store page with a lower price of previous released DLC's depending on the size of the states on their own, and a special price with a Steam bundle like the "Pacific Northwest Bundle", so, something like "South Dakota and North Dakota" or "Kansas and Nebraska" for *9.99$ each and, let's say, *14.99$ in the Steam Bundle, or something like "Louisiana and Arkansas" for *8.99$ each and *12.99$ for both on the Steam Bundle. (not counting the possibility of including the base game on those bundles, but that won't matter for anyone who already owns the game).

Option 2; They just combine a certain amount of states in a single DLC like ETS2 does with countries, and try to match the price of said bundle based on the size of each state added, let's say, *14.99$ per 150k miles (Kansas + Nebraska = 159,498 miles, North Dakota + South Dakota = 147,820 miles).

*those prices are just an estimation made by me, feel free to suggest something better.

Of course, there could also be a 3rd option about never bundling any state in any possible way, but we don't need that kind of negativity here :lol: (i'm just kidding btw)
harishw8r

Re: How would you like the States DLC bundles to be released?

#2 Post by harishw8r » 10 Aug 2022 03:31

I’d choose option two, as mentioned previously in the Oklahoma thread.
rbsanford

#3 Post by rbsanford » 10 Aug 2022 03:54

I don't get Option 1. Why bother releasing two adjacent state DLCs on the same date instead of having them together in one DLC? The DLC bundles and the combined states DLC cost the same anyway, under this scenario.

Now Option 1 would make sense for DLCs that were released at different times, like currently exists with the PNW Bundle.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Bedavd

#4 Post by Bedavd » 10 Aug 2022 04:20

Number 2 would be preferred imo. I guess 1 allows people to pick and choose their map, but overall it’ll make the game cost WAY more. Two separate states at $9.99 + tax is significantly more than one bundle at $14.99 + tax, particularly when you already have to get the base game and each map DLC released up until now. Either way I’ll buy, but from a mass perspective it would be difficult to not see it as a bit of a shady money grab if the states are developed and released in conjunction, but sold separately… at least to me.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
JoeAlex23

#5 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Aug 2022 04:44

rbsanford wrote: 10 Aug 2022 03:54 I don't get Option 1. Why bother releasing two adjacent state DLCs on the same date instead of having them together in one DLC? The DLC bundles and the combined states DLC cost the same anyway, under this scenario.

Now Option 1 would make sense for DLCs that were released at different times, like currently exists with the PNW Bundle.
It makes sense to me in the way that those states would be developed at the same time by one map team and at release give the people the option to buy any one they want or all of them in the Steam bundle, but as i said, is just a general idea and an estimation on the price, Option 1 could be cheaper in the long run for smaller states down the road. Or a good option for people that just want to buy some specific states (i know a few people like that).

But what you said sounds ideal, just keep releasing DLC's more often and at some point put them in a Steam bundle with a general theme, like Tornado Alley for OK, KS and NE, i considered that for a 3rd option but i somehow felt it would make Option 1 a bit redundant :lol:
flight50

#6 Post by flight50 » 10 Aug 2022 05:50

rbsanford wrote: 10 Aug 2022 03:54 I don't get Option 1. Why bother releasing two adjacent state DLCs on the same date instead of having them together in one DLC? The DLC bundles and the combined states DLC cost the same anyway, under this scenario.

Actually Option 1 does make sense. I recently just gave an example in the Dakota thread stating the same thing. Under current pricing all dlc's for ATS are $11.99 correct? There is a solid chance that each of the Dakota dlc's sale for $11.99 a piece. At this point, we have zero idea if they are cheaper.

There are people that may only want specific states. So essentially, you piece together your own bundle if you have options to piece it together yourself. So in Option 1 he is saying you have an option......which is a no brainer but its still an option for people. If both states release simultaneously, you can either buy both at the discount price or you can buy them separately. No brainer is to buy both for a discount if you want both.

Texas is probably going to come in at $17.99
North Dakota and South Dakota could come in at $11.99 a piece or $23.98 if you buy both separately at 2 different times

So if you buy the Dakota's separately, why not just take the bundle price for $17.99 utilizing the bundle discount. Not everyone can afford more than 11.99 so either they save up 17.99 or just bite the bullet and pay more for both when you can at 2 different times. The plus to bundle is for those than can both at once. Another example of this when both ATS and ETS2 gets the same dlc. You can buy the dlc's separate or if you own both games, you can buy both at a discount. I don't remember exactly which dlc this was but you can do it. It might have been the Volvo dlc. I can't remember now.

I kinda like both options. It really depends on what states are involved and for who. For me personally, I'll take the bulk buy. But for ATS it could make sense for option 1 since all states are sold separately anyways. Some people don't won't to feel like they are forced to buy a dlc they don't want. I'm sure there is someone that has zero interest in the Western US but they could want the entire MidWest because they live there. Should they be forced to buy states they don't want? Or should they be able to piece together their set. If they piece together.......there is a bundle discount. So in theory, option one can be made into option 2. So my vote goes to option 1 because it can be discounted as a bundle that is the same thing as option 2. Option 2 has less freedom and you can't split them. What if a person does not want one of the 2. They are forced to get both. Not everyone would be happy with that.
JoeAlex23

#7 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Aug 2022 06:23

Thank you Flight, that was basically the idea behind Option 1, to give people a choice, in the long run ATS will be quite an expensive game with all the states, i personally don't mind it but some people do, maybe some people want to create their own bundle with certain specific states to complete a certain specific highway/road or places they are familiar with, i know most of the active people here in this forum are planning on buying all the map DLC's anyways, but i think it's fair to think about any new players, and the discounts might help them a lot if Option 1 is the way to go.

Option 2 forces you to buy more but it's a more practical way for SCS.
Tristman

#8 Post by Tristman » 10 Aug 2022 06:49

My expectation would be that they do it the ETS2 way and go with option 2. If they go with option 1, that means they have to do the same for other bundled states (or at least create the expectation that they will), and after the Dakotas I think it will make a lot less sense to buy individual small states.
angrybirdseller

#9 Post by angrybirdseller » 10 Aug 2022 07:46

Think bundles like ETS2 have won't happen as easier and more profitable to release states as they are finished.

Some states will be bundled but the price point won't be $11.99 it will be $17.99.

Think we got couple years before will see more bundling.

The detail and qaulity of current DLC from 2017 to 2022 with ATS makes it less likely. Texas and Montana are exception as the Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska all these will be sold single states.
AlexxxF1

#10 Post by AlexxxF1 » 10 Aug 2022 08:10

Well, speaking of price, in just two years you're getting a 70% discount.
if one DLС costs 11.99 in half a year, or even in every 4 months, this is not so critical.
So I won't say that ATS will ever be an expensive game.
Those who come later can, for example, buy 3 whole maps DLC for less money (3.59$) than 1 new map DLC costs (11.99$).

now if we talk about the size and cost of one map DLC.
yes they will get smaller. SCS can put a lower price on them.
Or, taking into account inflation, do not raise the price of new map DLC much.
if the size of map DLС is smaller and inflation is higher, offsetting each other, the cost of map DLС may simply stay the same.

Releasing a not big map DLC every 4 months would be great for me. at the end of the year it would be possible to combine them into a bundle.
This would please those who offer them and offer to wait a whole year for one big map DLC.
in fact, both sides would be satisfied. Those who want a quick single release and those who offer a combined but with a long wait
release.

One thing that makes me constantly return to the game with pleasure and impatience is the release of any map DLC.
That's why I'm in favor of more frequent DLC map releases. let them be smaller in size, but let them come out more often.
what for ATS, what for ETS2.
Waiting a whole year for the release of one DLC is so painful. plus if it can still be delayed. which has happened twice.
I'm glad that at least the ETS2 void for me is filled by the ATS, and its maps releases.

Return to “General discussion about the game”