Cab and Sleeper Features

Which cab and sleeper features would you like to see?

Entering the Sleeper
14%
Camera Lean (forward and right)
8%
Rotating Passenger Seats
6%
Closing Curtains
14%
Interior Lights
16%
Additional and Functional Cabin Accessories
11%
Additional Cabin Accessory Nodes
10%
Sleep Anywhere
21%

Total votes: 154

Optional Features

Cab and Sleeper Features

#1 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jul 2022 21:27

As we near the release of the 12th truck for American Truck Sim (the Western Star 57X) with a sleeper, it would be nice to see some features to put all of the effort done by the modeling team to work.

Here are some ideas that could make sleepers and cab interiors improve in game.

Entering the sleeper
So far, every truck in the game has a sleeper that players can only look back at, and an internal camera that is locked to a single pivot point. There are modded trucks with sleepers where the camera does a pirouette into the sleeper (to quote @koolizz), and there are mods that enable this ballet move in SCS trucks. However, there is no default support for entering the sleeper and no way to break from this singular pivot point. This is particularly strange given some of the options like the folding table in the MY2020 Cascadia. We should be able to enter the sleeper and pivot in any direction, when the vehicle is stopped. We should also be able to access the top bunk of sleepers when applicable.

Camera lean
In the cab, the ability to lean in any direction (not just out the left window) would allow us the same close up viewing abilities as the interior zoom feature while allowing us a better look at our mirrors for tight maneuvers. Irl, blindside backing is made easier by the fact the driver can lean his head closer to the right mirror to better see his trailer. A toggle for interior zoom to lean would be greatly beneficial.

I know some people suggest trackIR, but considering we can lean out the left window without it, it makes little sense why it would be impossible to lean to the right as well.

Rotating passenger seats
For trucks without a dedicated table, and which feature this irl, a rotating passenger seat would be a nice addition. Again, when stopped the player could switch to the passenger seat and rotate to face the sleeper and use the slide-out table.

A couple real life examples:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Closing curtains
Again when stopped, the player should have an option to close the curtains to make the virtual trucking experience more authentic. Preferably this would be a toggle hotkey (an interior options window like F4) with the option for mouse click to activate.

[ external image ]

Interior lights
With the curtains shuttered and the player inside the sleeper, we're going to need some light to brighten up the atmosphere. This is a feature that has been requested by many players, and implemented by some modders. Interior lights should offer a white setting and perhaps a red for night vision (where it would be realistic like Peterbilt). Again, this could be accessed in an F4 like menu for interior functions.

More/functional cabin accessories
Why the focus on tables you ask? Because a sleeper is a trucker's house, and the table is his workbench. Giving us access to the table could make room for a number of additional features that involve cabin accessories.

Currently we have a phone, tablet, laptop, and map as cabin accessories along with a delivery report, fuel consumption log, and expense report. The addition of a logbook for the older trucks in game (an elog tablet would be a welcome addition for new trucks) with basic line selection functionality would add realism to the non driving experience while a referenceable delivery report could open the possibility for paper bills of lading with each pickup and delivery.

Additionally, the map could be turned into a book with pages that can be flipped, allowing old school virtual truckers to plan their route out like the good old days.

Finally, the phone, tablet, and laptop could be used to access an in-game internet where players could search for cargo on a load board, view used and new truck listings around the country, or find new talent to hire, all from the comfort of their virtual sleepers. For a bit more of a fun experience, the devices could also be equipped with access to the news (scs blogs), and maybe a mini game featuring a piece of a remastered old SCS game like Extreme Trucker 2.

Other interactive cabin accessories could include a hard hat and vest we can put on our character when delivering to construction sites and ports, normal hats to improve our fashion sense, sunglasses we can don for bright roads, and gps systems that we could click to expand and program.

We could also use CB radios that allow us to say pre programmed messages and hear an AI response. I believe old SCS games had this feature for things like a weather report.

More accessory nodes, including window nodes
In addition to accessory functionality, more accessory slots are needed, particularly for window GPS units. At times, the choice available is directly in the way of the hood mirror, which reduces driver visibility.

More slots would also be welcomed in the sleepers of trucks, inside cabinets, in cubby holes above the driver, and in door panel compartments. The International 9900 is a great example of this. There are shelves along the top of the sleeper that store things irl, but are not available for interior customization.

Sleep anywhere
A final point to this discussion is the ability to sleep anywhere. The reason to buy a sleeper is to avoid having to book a hotel room to get a comfortable night's rest. We should be able to sleep anywhere if the truck is equipped with a sleeper.

This includes any spot in a rest area (not just the single spot with a trigger), any spot in a truckstop, the parking lots of mega stores, where street parking is available in industrial areas, at delivery spots (given these had operating hours), on exit and entrance ramps, in wide spots along the freeway, and any other place truckers realistically park to catch some zzz's.

To refer back to the interactive cabin accessories topic, click the pillow to sleep.

Sleepers are a resource that has yet to be tapped in this game: these are some ways to make them worth the extra frame length.
MMBrown

Re: Cab and Sleeper Features

#2 Post by MMBrown » 31 Jul 2022 18:51

I use TrackIR and it helps with the right-side lean a bit, but not much. I think it’s restricted to the same 6 inches or so from the centre position as interior zoom is. If I physically keep leaning right IRL, the camera stops leaning after a few inches. So, it does help, but isn’t the full fix some may suggest.

Other than the camera still trying to do the pirouette if you rotate too far to the right, VR does not experience the same limitations, and in fact does allow you to move freely about the cabin and sleeper. Unfortunately, suggesting everyone just go get a VR headset and capable PC in order to enjoy a feature that, it would seem, is already supported by the underlying game is a bit extreme!
Optional Features

#3 Post by Optional Features » 31 Jul 2022 21:41

MMBrown wrote: 31 Jul 2022 18:51 I use TrackIR and it helps with the right-side lean a bit, but not much. I think it’s restricted to the same 6 inches or so from the centre position as interior zoom is. If I physically keep leaning right IRL, the camera stops leaning after a few inches. So, it does help, but isn’t the full fix some may suggest.
That's very interesting info: thanks!

And yeah, it should be a realistic amount in all directions: forward to look at the dash, left to look out the window, and right to check the mirror and trailer.
Other than the camera still trying to do the pirouette if you rotate too far to the right, VR does not experience the same limitations, and in fact does allow you to move freely about the cabin and sleeper. Unfortunately, suggesting everyone just go get a VR headset and capable PC in order to enjoy a feature that, it would seem, is already supported by the underlying game is a bit extreme!
Also, VR has kind of a floating effect that could make some players dizzy I could assume. It shouldn't be necessary for something this simple.

Interesting to see sleep anywhere leading the poll: I guess that isn't too surprising.
PBandJ

#4 Post by PBandJ » 01 Aug 2022 16:08

It would be nice to sleep more places if you have a sleeper I agree. In our area of the country though, trucks can't just pull off any where and sleep. There are still some restrictions due to safety where they can stop. But it would be nice to sleep more places than there is now.
sara_ellisson

#5 Post by sara_ellisson » 10 Aug 2022 17:12

I really would love the sleep anywhere option, or at least add more places to sleep for those with a sleeper, but also hotel stops for day cabs.

But to extend on that, I want off-duty & on-duty options when you park at a sleeping place. It doesn't have to go as far as sleeper berth and such, but it would be cool to eventually have that.

To start maybe a simple press enter on the rest icon and choose options:

Sleep (choose time of sleep, game can decide if you have driven too long (max 14 hours?) and will give you a minimum you are allowed to choose, maybe a max of 10)
Eat (can pass an hour of time each time you eat, fill a hungry meter (needs once every 8 hours at least?) There should be more gas station rest stops for this)
Paperwork (which will pass an hour of time, but require that hour added to sleep unless already at max)
Optional Features

#6 Post by Optional Features » 11 Aug 2022 17:57

sara_ellisson wrote: 10 Aug 2022 17:12 I really would love the sleep anywhere option, or at least add more places to sleep for those with a sleeper, but also hotel stops for day cabs.

But to extend on that, I want off-duty & on-duty options when you park at a sleeping place. It doesn't have to go as far as sleeper berth and such, but it would be cool to eventually have that.

To start maybe a simple press enter on the rest icon and choose options:

Sleep (choose time of sleep, game can decide if you have driven too long (max 14 hours?) and will give you a minimum you are allowed to choose, maybe a max of 10)
Eat (can pass an hour of time each time you eat, fill a hungry meter (needs once every 8 hours at least?) There should be more gas station rest stops for this)
Paperwork (which will pass an hour of time, but require that hour added to sleep unless already at max)
Yeah, that falls into the logbook concept which is currently left out. Would definitely be nice to have.

On the food topic, I know this is controversial with some (mainly because they don't understand the concept of optional features), but we actually have "food" in game already with the cabin accessories. And we have a growing number of restaurants in game as well, none of which have a current purpose (they should be taking cargo imo).

I wonder how difficult it would be to make the hamburger stack disappear every day and need to be replenished (for those who wanted to do that). Seems simple enough.

It shouldn't be a priority feature, but it would be more on the lines of something a modder could do (as has been done in a number of other games).
David Paterson

#7 Post by David Paterson » 17 Oct 2022 05:54

I really love the realism and roleplay aspects of the game and they would be greatly enhanced if there were far more places to park and sleep in a sleeper cab and also if you could chose the duration of your rest stops, e.g. 30 or 60 minutes at a truck stop or diner.
Optional Features

#8 Post by Optional Features » 07 Nov 2022 23:28

David Paterson wrote: 17 Oct 2022 05:54 I really love the realism and roleplay aspects of the game and they would be greatly enhanced if there were far more places to park and sleep in a sleeper cab and also if you could chose the duration of your rest stops, e.g. 30 or 60 minutes at a truck stop or diner.
Yeah, agreed. The sleepers have such potential if pushed to their max. They could be one of the first things in the game that improved functionality depending on appearance.

Something like heavy steers or a lift axle or even a lowboy with more parts (jeep and booster) currently has little function in game.
GinXeng

#9 Post by GinXeng » 08 Nov 2022 02:41

I dont understand how older games let you sleep anywhere but something much more "advanced" and modern doesn't. One of the biggest oversights in my opinion.
Optional Features

#10 Post by Optional Features » 08 Nov 2022 02:43

GinXeng wrote: 08 Nov 2022 02:41 I dont understand how older games let you sleep anywhere but something much more "advanced" and modern doesn't. One of the biggest oversights in my opinion.
I wish we had a full feature list of 18 Wheels of Steel, Extreme Trucker, and Trucks and Trailers, but pretty much every SCS game of the past had features we would love to have today, and they got them far earlier in development.

The sleep system is one of many.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”