Next ATS truck speculation

Sora

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#6821 Post by Sora » 13 Aug 2022 08:40

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 13 Aug 2022 06:15 I highly disagree. ATS is a game. It's not a 1:1 representation of the real world. Likewise the trucks we now have in the game are also not a 1:1 representation of the real trucks; we even can't open doors or the hood. So, why should truck manufacturers 'dictate' SCS which trucks ATS can have? It looks like the licences for trucks is pushing ATS in a certain direction, while only SCS should be pushing ATS in a certain direction. It's like truck manufacturers are the real boss of ATS instead of SCS Software.
I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing.

In response to a few preceding posts regarding whether or not electric trucks or (modern, DAF-like) cab-overs should or will exist in ATS, my argument is simply that they need to exist in some practical capacity. I don't feel like that's demanding "a 1:1 representation of the real world" - just demanding that reality be involved at some point in the process. Short of an incredible licensing deal, there's no sense in prioritizing a truck that only exists in theory, or otherwise releases to catastrophic failure, over trucks that currently or previously had some existent impact. This may not be the most realistic game, but it isn't so rooted in fantasy that we need to be inventing history before it happens, in the same way that we shouldn't create new roads just because they should exist, or enforce a strict WoT speed limit because "they're going to cap the speed limit someday, eventually." (They did both of those things early on, by the way, and it sucks.)

All that said, I'm ultimately defending those two things: if they exist in a meaningful capacity in real life, they should also exist in ATS, because the uniqueness they would offer relative to the existing lineup would be unmatched. I don't really consider that "caving to the license-holders" as much as I do "taking any available opportunity to make a unique truck." We just aren't at the point yet where either of them actually do - at least, in a capacity relative to ATS.

I think you're trying to defend classic trucks? That's literally the opposite of what I'm criticizing, because we know exactly how much impact those had. But hey, since you bring it up: truck manufacturers do probably have some sway over what SCS can't add. The trucks are their property, so they'll always have the right to just say "no". That's how the world works, and it's not as simple as just telling these companies "screw you, I'm my own boss and I'll do what I want with your licenses"... unless you desperately want an unpaid courthouse vacation. From our point of view, we can only make educated guesses on how each brand sees their partnership with SCS. Maybe some of them only want their newest trucks. Maybe some of them would love to bring out their oldest. Maybe some of them don't care and will just greenlight anything because it's an excuse for social media hype. Maybe some of them act one way in public but another behind the scenes. These are all possibilities, and their power over SCS isn't something that SCS can overturn simply with balls.

For better or for worse, there's enough low-hanging fruit still lying around that they shouldn't really need to fight against current too much. Classic trucks feel like a useful thing to pivot to once that pool dries up and every brand is satisfied with their current lineup. (Though personally, I'd also rather prioritize the handful of noteworthy recently-retired models - the "classics" that still have a presence, if you will - if at all possible.)
flight50

#6822 Post by flight50 » 13 Aug 2022 12:42

Sora wrote: 13 Aug 2022 08:40 From our point of view, we can only make educated guesses on how each brand sees their partnership with SCS. Maybe some of them only want their newest trucks. Maybe some of them would love to bring out their oldest. Maybe some of them don't care and will just greenlight anything because it's an excuse for social media hype. Maybe some of them act one way in public but another behind the scenes. These are all possibilities, and their power over SCS isn't something that SCS can overturn simply with balls.

For better or for worse, there's enough low-hanging fruit still lying around that they shouldn't really need to fight against current too much. Classic trucks feel like a useful thing to pivot to once that pool dries up and every brand is satisfied with their current lineup. (Though personally, I'd also rather prioritize the handful of noteworthy recently-retired models - the "classics" that still have a presence, if you will - if at all possible.)
I can agree with this. At the end of the day, we have no clue how everything works between SCS and their partners. What we do know from an individual perspective, is what we like to see. Some only want current in production. Some only want to drive classics. Some want a mix and some just don't care because they are not here for the trucks.

For me, I just want variety, diversity and history under this title. Nostalgia plays a big roll for a lot of people and ATS is the perfect game for that for truck fans. Eventually the pool will slow down with current trucks...then what. But there are always something with wheels to be made to keep the vehicle team busy.
Holzauge

#6823 Post by Holzauge » 13 Aug 2022 13:37

From my personal experience I am driving the 9900i most at the moment. I really love this outdated piece of metal, although it has so many things, that usually would keep me from using it frequently (no CC display, no average fuel consumption display, it's a classic truck for example). The major plus is the humming sound. Even with the Eaton 10 speed at 65 mph it's very far from annoying compared to others (especially the other Internationals). This truck - I could imagine - would be my "coast to coast" truck one day (btw. I discoverd a sign in Newport - exit to Bend "Boston 33?? miles").

So after this experiences I am looking forward to other out of production trucks. Payed DLC? No problem for me (reasonable price provided)!
VDMA
Texshi

#6824 Post by Texshi » 13 Aug 2022 15:25

I just wish the 9900I had more options seem just a bit limiting but still fun either way It's a Classic truck? Kind of? At least being built from 2000 on up so I'd say Classic rigs are possible or likely

Hell.. SCS would just port or fix a couple bits on the 389 and just add a 2000 - 2023 steering Dash options headlights and it would work fine for a 379
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!
Prince

#6825 Post by Prince » 13 Aug 2022 15:28

Tesla Semi ships this year, according to Musk on Twitter.

Please, SCS, make it happen in ATS!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1557236629412007937
Marcello Julio

#6826 Post by Marcello Julio » 13 Aug 2022 16:08

Nah, I prefer any other truck than the Tesla Semi.
JoeAlex23

#6827 Post by JoeAlex23 » 13 Aug 2022 16:30

No thank you, keep that piece of junk away from ATS! 😂 If an electric truck ever comes to ATS i hope it's the e-Cascadia.
Trenero

#6828 Post by Trenero » 13 Aug 2022 16:55

I've also don't see the Tesla semi coming to ATS,
Is being at least two years since Musk is saying "Tesla Semi will launch this year"

There are already at least 3 electric trucks on the market based on trucks that we already have on ATS.
-eCascadia
-T680E
-579EV
and i can see one of this 3 making much more sense to be the first electric on the game. They already have the models on game(in the case of paccar maybe they need to rework the old models to introduce the electric version so a win win for us),
Paccar was the first brand in ATS so being the first electric could be possible.
Daimler has good relations with SCS right now and could be interested in have the last electric tec on game, as first one to have one electric on game.

From those 3 options eCascadia is the one that have the more range about 230miles, 150miles for the paccars. power is similar on both.

They can also do new brands, like hyunday, BYD, or Nikola(in this case they have 3 posible trucks for the model of one, Nikola TRE US, Nikola TRE EU and Iveco S-Way)

But first of all SCS need to think and implement the in game mechanic on how the electric will work in game, how to charge and where.
For example they can limit electric trucks to only quick works, with the trucks precharged on the start and a specific milleage for the route less than the truck range.
Or limit owned electric trucks to works under determinate milleage and doing the charge while the truck is being loaded making the game to pass more time while you are loading the truck, or charge while you sleep if the sleeping point has a charger.
Lets see what SCS will do to bring electrics to the game.
Last edited by Trenero on 13 Aug 2022 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
55sixxx

#6829 Post by 55sixxx » 13 Aug 2022 17:01

People need to grasp the fact that eletric vehicles simply won't work on ATS, ever... There is no support for them as of now and there's no sign of it coming in the near or far future. Plus, 230 miles may seem like a reasonable range IRL but for us, in a game that have a much smaller scale, you'd have to stop for a recharge every 5 or 8 minutes and depending on the weight, maybe even sooner. (And try doing the same routine over and over and over again in such a short time span, it would get irritating very quickly).

So no, Tesla is not coming, eCascadia is not coming, T680E is not coming, 579EV is not coming neither any other electric truck is coming.
xXCARL1992Xx

#6830 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 13 Aug 2022 17:10

the game supports everything already, the engines can be set accordingly to data, charging can be done even now, you would just need to convert the "energy" in the fuel from diesel to actual electrical energy, the only thing that we dont have is models for actual electrical chargers and to simulate the wait time to charge up and the trucks that use electricity ofc

you can even mod an eTruck into the game, the only thing you cant do is change the efficiency of the "fuel" usage that is, ofc, higher then with Diesel (only 30% efficiency)
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”