If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

1:35
2%
1:20
22%
1:15
19%
1:10
42%
1:5
8%
1:1
8%

Total votes: 213

Tristman

Re: If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

#151 Post by Tristman » 11 Aug 2022 17:51

Depends, I think in the Great Plains states, it will be the cities (and their unique landmarks) that make the difference. Otherwise it depends on the region, I think some places in ATS could use more rural distance, and other places could use bigger cities. But nothing I would change the scale over.
Optional Features

#152 Post by Optional Features » 11 Aug 2022 17:59

I think they could squeeze more land in between cities using Reforma's approach. Trying to follow realistic road paths while not having the space to do so is a common problem.
flight50

#153 Post by flight50 » 11 Aug 2022 18:07

I agree with Tristman here. I think its more critical to finish the US before thinking of a larger map. But what do you do for cost. For everyone that already paid for all 48 states? We get the update for free again right? SCS has 300 people or so. By the time the US is done even more than that. They can't do free again with so many more people staffed. How do you keep money coming in? You'll need everyone on a rescale to get it done asap. You can't charge seasoned players for the upgrade and new players would have an increased price to pay that could discourage them.

So do you finish all of North America first then rescale? This keeps the team going.......until you can't anymore. It would be better for ATS2 by then. Heck I might not even be alive by then to see an ATS2. A rescale is fine but not right now. That is wayyyy in the future. We'll never get even the US done in a decent time if they rescale now.
plykkegaard

#154 Post by plykkegaard » 11 Aug 2022 18:13

ATS is fine as it is if you want a larger scale look for a job as a trucker
I am used to ETS2, yeah England is 1:15 but I am not buying again
Do Australien in 1:15 if you like might suit this region who knows

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
AlexxxF1

#155 Post by AlexxxF1 » 11 Aug 2022 20:37

koolizz wrote: 10 Aug 2022 18:09
I am sure a 1:10 map by SCS would still be somewhat decent quality and way beyond C2C if just a little more work went into it than the 1:20 maps. 4x is not needed. Neither is double the price. They could have given us rural areas with lots of nature really so the cities could breathe and raised the price like 1.5x. The DLCs are already too cheap honestly. In fact I'd even take the same amount of scenic towns we have now on 1:10 and just nature in and around just to give it some breathing room. Long drives are nice to many players, even if it means not hitting a scenic town or truck stop constantly. And whats wrong with leaving some space as simply nature, if a map modder wants to fill in cities? You can still have a very high quality map even though cities are a bit more sparse.
maybe I'm wrong, but what you're suggesting seems to be to add length to all the roads, just by adding fields around them on the left and right, or a forest wall on the left and right on each of the roads. But that doesn't work.
First of all, this is a huge monotony and boredom. In any case, you must first create a relief around any new road, which is done by hand.
And secondly, everything in the visibility and rendering range must be filled with objects in order to equalize in quality throughout the DLС.
In reality, there is no one tree similar to another, or a field. each is different in some way.
If you do it on a huge map - just how to copy paste - it will immediately become noticeable. We need to create more unique objects. and place them throughout the visibility range, roofs of houses, small roads on the horizon and etc. or much more it will be necessary to build mountains and spend thousands of hours on this. on any new road or one that will be lengthened.

And most importantly, there will be a huge problem that will definitely increase the development of DLC on a scale of 1:10.
if we even on a scale of 1:20 have constant complaints about the lack of this or that road, this or that city, then just imagine how much whining and demands will immediately arise on a scale of 1:10. How much empty space will appear at once. For example, in the same Oregon, minimum 30 cities will already be required. you will have to create and add at least 15-25 new cities in Oregon.
And that's just one Oregon, and add all the other states. this is a hundred cities and new roads will need to be added to fill all the empty places in all the past DLС. How much time and people it will take the SCS? when we even just -the base game rework - received only 10% of the SCS for the whole 2 years. where all the roads are only on a scale of 1:20.

if you like C2С, then I talked about this, the larger the ATS map becomes, the less noticeable the scale will be. there are not many complaints about scale in ETC2, because the map is huge. Yes, from Seattle to the edge of Montana 1000 miles on which I spend 1 hour 10 minutes across the highway. New York is 3,000 miles away. And I will spend 3.5 hours on that trip. Well, that's quite enough to take a break from problems at the weekend and ride one way. The next day I can take the goods in the opposite direction.

Once upon a time, 1:35 was enough for me. the first year I played and had great fun, I didn't even notice the small scale. then I just had enough. But the more I get the map year after year, the more I want it to become even bigger and bigger)) to grow as quickly as possible :D .
Yes it's true.
Laqueesha wrote: 10 Aug 2022 18:02
koolizz wrote: 10 Aug 2022 12:05@Laqueesha Complete opposite I'd say, just remove some of the invisible walls in cities. Where we need space is between cities. The rural areas of the game are really horribly condensed.
Good point. One reason the cities feel small is because we can't go into them. A lot of the cities we bypass (like Salt Lake City and Portland); would be nice if we could actually go into them (like Las Vegas and San Francisco).
Personally, according to my feelings, on the contrary, I like how Salt Lake City, Portland, Denver, Seattle are made.
When on the scale of the game, they feel really huge, megacities. And how in real life we ​​unload in their industrial zones, and further along the city itself, goods are transported on small cars.

For example, I can drive through any city in Montana, and no matter how huge it is, it does not feel like the same Denver. Even Las Vegas or Los Angeles feels small, just because I can drive there and compare it to any city in Montana. What really makes me feel like Las Vegas is a real metropolis is when I drive away from it and see its huge skyscrapers on the horizon.

I like to drive not through Las Vegas, but on the right, along the 515 road. Driving along it, I really feel the metropolis.
When I pass through the city itself, this feeling is lost.
Trakaplex

#156 Post by Trakaplex » 11 Aug 2022 21:53

First of all, the game being 1:10 will probably be when SCS gets enough devs. Second of all, I think the cities are crammed. The mountains bordering Provo/Salt Lake nearly feel like a barrier in place. No space for Boulder because of the shrinkage between I-25 and the Rockies. But overall, a larger scale is personally needed for me, because you can't just traverse all of I-15 from San Diego to Shelby in a little over an hour. 1:20 is really abysmal for a road tripping simulator like ATS. The clock ticks a minute every second when you're going 80 MPH. If the time was at least a tenth, that would work. But as @flight50 said, that'd be worthy for ATS2, which who knows will come by 2035? Twice rescale and Forza level graphics would make things pretty good. Or it could stick with ATS and come out as a massive far future update. If SCS doesn't reskin consistently, by Florida, Texas may be low quality. And that would be nightmare fuel. A full rescale could be needed by that point.

15-25 new cities in Oregon sounds good to me. They are missing Corvallis and Roseburg for one thing.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Optional Features

#157 Post by Optional Features » 11 Aug 2022 22:17

The biggest problem with Oregon is the near complete lack of ag between Portland and Eugene, a place that has tremendous hay and grass seed production along with other crops. A drive through this area irl is memorable if you're a lover of farming equipment as I am. In game, it's just one city after another, and way too close together.

There's also a problem with the south of Salem being way too flat when irl it's a small mountain.

South of Eugene the problem is hills. Most of them were cut due to scale (most notably siskyou). What was added is a far cry from what they are like irl.

And then northern Cali continues the problems with hills and city size. It's the same going north as well, or east on I-84 and I-90.

I think I-80 Donner is their best pass out west, but it's not on the level of Reforma's which feels like a challenge. Altamont could be better as well and have a wind energy drop or twox but again, scale.

There's just not enough room to fit in the parts of the real life map that would challenge (or utilize in the case of industries) a trucker most.
AlexxxF1

#158 Post by AlexxxF1 » 11 Aug 2022 23:18

@seriousmods what you say, I understand it like no one else. In real life, I have driven many roads in Europe. and I see how they are presented in ETS2 in 1:19 scale. I can easily compare. Like you in Oregon.
For example, the south of Germany is very hilly in reality. slope of the Alps. When I drove there, long descents and ascents.
In ETS2, the south of Germany is completely flat. Or the south of France and the Cote d'Azur...or Denmark....

I just understand that this is not 100% feasible. with current resources and time, in a small but very friendly company like SCS, it is necessary to move into a new technological order first - to a new next generation :D ).
Even mega-corporations like EA, Microsoft do not undertake this. Or other developers.
The same "Alaskan truck simulator" on what scale from "Road Studio S.A."? Or what scale will "Truck World: Australia" be on from "Truck World Studio"?

The way the Baltics is represented in ETS2 or Poland, I drove there on more than one road in reality. I can say that an amazing job has been done in the Baltics DLC to convey the spirit and mood of those places.
Poland .... Poland in ETS2 is something :lol: )))
The level of SCS in their work, attitudes towards their fans and their attempt to present their product as best as possible .... how SCS was when creating Poland and what SCS became, having created Baltiks - these are two different studios.
Or if compare California(2016) and Oregon(2018). these are also two different games for me. It's like they were made by two different studios.

In ETS2\ATS for me is enough that the spirit and mood of those real places, the atmosphere is conveyed. In ETS2\ ATS, thanks to the diligence, the great work done, this is amazingly transmitted. Driving in ETS2 in Germany, I really feel like it's Germany, just like in real life. Or when driving through Austria after rework, it really feels like the real Austria. Turning on even my imagination, I can easy even forget for a while that I am in the game.
Yes, if they were larger and had more details it would be cool. Only having received it, I will have to lose it somewhere else. Because in addition to Austria, Germany wants to get as many other new countries, roads, cities as possible.
At least in the virtual world, I want to fulfill my dream, travel from Coast to Coast, tour Los Angeles - New York, or Miami - Seattle.
Or make trips to any corner of Europe, or it would be cool to touch Asia as well. Norway-Turkey. Portugal-China.
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 11 Aug 2022 23:54, edited 5 times in total.
Optional Features

#159 Post by Optional Features » 11 Aug 2022 23:33

@AlexxxF1 Yeah, I totally understand they have to make cuts due to scale: it's where the cuts are made sometimes that annoys me. But as the map goes farther East, I will be able to spend more time in places I don't know, and thus be able to enjoy them more.

One of the reasons I enjoy ETS2 is because I've never been to Europe or seen an EU truck, so everything seems fine to me, even where improvements could be made.
justgettingold

#160 Post by justgettingold » 13 Aug 2022 14:44

Don't forget that in order to make trips longer with the current scale you can use warp. I play at 0.85 and it slows things down noticeably. Of course it's not like a really different scale though.

Return to “General discussion about the game”