Why is ETS2 slower than ATS in term of loading time of profile page?

deathmasgu

Why is ETS2 slower than ATS in term of loading time of profile page?

#1 Post by deathmasgu » 14 Aug 2022 13:38

Why is ETS2 slower than ATS in term of loading time of the profile page?
For me, it takes about 1 minute to get to the profile page after the exe is running.
As a comparison, in ATS, it takes about 3 seconds to get to the profile page after ATS is running.
Should I do some tweaks to ETS2 to match it to ATS in term of the loading speed I mentioned in this post?
Axel Slingerland

Re: Why is ETS2 slower than ATS in term of loading time of profile page?

#2 Post by Axel Slingerland » 15 Aug 2022 04:07

I've been playing ETS2 since version 1.5, and unless something has drastically changed since 1.34 (which is the version I play since SCS stopped making regular updates available for the legacy game (in other words, not Steam...), the more you add to the game, the slower the load time is. To see an example of this, create a new profile for each game with no map mods, just SCS made DLCs and test it, taking note of the loading time. Then create another new profile for each game and add all the DLCs and ProMods, and you'll notice that the load time is much longer. Then compare them to each other each time. The bigger the games are the longer the load times will be. But I assure you, it's worth the wait... Another reason is as more of the map is 'Discovered', that too slows the loading time.

I don't have ATS, as I don't use Steam and it's Steam only. But unless it's changed back to having it's own version of the Prism3D game engine to make it tick, ATS and ETS2 have the same version of Prism3D. The key differences are the maps, the way the terrain and models look and the fact that are more DLCs you have to buy to make the map bigger.

So in my opinion, if ETS2 has bigger map with more models, etc., and or you've Discovered more of a large map, that is the most logical answer for your question. If not, I have no idea what would cause that much of a difference. [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 15 Aug 2022 07:21

Well, no, the loading time before you get to the profile page is not much influenced by the amount of content. At that stage, only stuff like manifests is checked, to set up the mod manager and the DLC browser. A few seconds, not more. The real DLC and mod dependent work starts when a profile is selected.

A minute is way too long for that. Something is very wrong. But without a game log available, there isn't much to think about. You will find "game.log" in your ETS 2 folder, in "Documents".
Axel Slingerland

#4 Post by Axel Slingerland » 15 Aug 2022 08:00

Hey Reinhard! Long time no yak...
deathmasgu wrote: 14 Aug 2022 13:38 Why is ETS2 slower than ATS in term of loading time of the profile page?
I was going by this question, but I missed the last word in the question, which changes the entire meaning... So yeah... Something is definitely wonky there, if the list of profiles is taking a long time to load.
[ external image ]

Some newbie driver

#5 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Aug 2022 08:15

A gamelog of both games to compare would be useful in this case, as Reinhard says. The time codes at the start could hint where the delays are.

At first glance, two possibilities come to mi mind. Could it be both games to be installed in different Steam libraries in different hard drives? Or could the files of ETS2 have some corruption that slow the loading? To check their integrity it's a fast test that can be done to see if it solves anything.

Regards
Axel Slingerland

#6 Post by Axel Slingerland » 15 Aug 2022 08:37

A fresh installation might help too. With emphasis on might. I say that because I don't use Steam, and as a result, I don't know what you can do with it now days. The last time I saw Steam was 2011.
Last edited by Axel Slingerland on 16 Aug 2022 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]

deathmasgu

#7 Post by deathmasgu » 15 Aug 2022 14:10

Some newbie driver wrote: 15 Aug 2022 08:15 A gamelog of both games to compare would be useful in this case, as Reinhard says. The time codes at the start could hint where the delays are.

At first glance, two possibilities come to mi mind. Could it be both games to be installed in different Steam libraries in different hard drives? Or could the files of ETS2 have some corruption that slow the loading? To check their integrity it's a fast test that can be done to see if it solves anything.

Regards
I have compared the both of them. In ETS the log says "00:00:07.935 : [fs] device dlc_winter.scs mounted." and then the next line is "00:00:24.166 : uset s_cbeffects_mute "0"". That means 17 seconds passed away for nothing!
Whereas in ATS, the corresponding stage says "00:00:07.307 : [fs] device dlc_wy.scs mounted." and "00:00:07.369 : uset s_cbeffects_mute "0"" , and that means it has wasted no time between these two lines.
So what conclusion can we make based on the game log files?
Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 15 Aug 2022 14:39

deathmasgu wrote: 15 Aug 2022 14:10 So what conclusion can we make based on the game log files?
We? Nothing, because you didn't publish the full log. Your reasoning is correct, but while that little info support your experience, it isn't enough to find the root cause.

Anyway, it couldn't hurt to verify the game's local installation files in the Steam client. But if that doesn't help, I'd really like to see a log. Hope it tells a bit more.
deathmasgu

#9 Post by deathmasgu » 16 Aug 2022 00:20

Reinhard wrote: 15 Aug 2022 14:39
deathmasgu wrote: 15 Aug 2022 14:10 So what conclusion can we make based on the game log files?
We? Nothing, because you didn't publish the full log. Your reasoning is correct, but while that little info support your experience, it isn't enough to find the root cause.

Anyway, it couldn't hurt to verify the game's local installation files in the Steam client. But if that doesn't help, I'd really like to see a log. Hope it tells a bit more.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Id9Lsh ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZ6hUI ... sp=sharing
Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 16 Aug 2022 08:25

I found nothing of what I hoped to see. No workshop mods, no use of cloud storage, no inflation problem when extracting the base files or DLC files, no plugins used.

Just an unexplainable stall after the completed loading of the DLC files (the gap you already spotted), and another one when you exit the profile you chose first:

Code: Select all

00:00:31.406 : [zipfs] no-viewfinder.scs: Unmounted
00:00:31.825 : mm_flush_repeatedly
00:00:48.085 : uset s_cbeffects_mute "0"
Did you do a "verify"? If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”