Should AI go through yellow lights like in IRL

Should AI go through yellow lights like in IRL?

Poll ended at 13 Oct 2022 20:12

1. Yes
70%
2. Meh
22%
3. No
9%

Total votes: 23

trainguy_gaming

Should AI go through yellow lights like in IRL

#1 Post by trainguy_gaming » 14 Aug 2022 20:12

I think that SCS should allow the AI to go through yellow lights like in IRL. Tell me your thoughts. :-)
55sixxx

Re: Should AI go through yellow lights like in IRL

#2 Post by 55sixxx » 14 Aug 2022 20:19

Well... Doesn't really matter considering the current state of the Ai... Now they slam the brakes when the lights turn yellow, but if they go through yellow then they would slam the brakes when the lights turn red. Either way, we'll get brake checked. What would be better is for them to start braking before the Xssing, like 150 or 200ft before, instead of stopping almost instantly.
rookie31st

#3 Post by rookie31st » 14 Aug 2022 21:20

Right now, they react to yellow by braking or even stopping even after they entered an intersection but they obviously should just continue. They definitely should ignore yellow if they crossed the stop line already.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Optional Features

#4 Post by Optional Features » 14 Aug 2022 21:30

They should, definitely. But most importantly, they should have realistic stopping distances. A bus or semi traveling at 50 mph cannot stop in 10 feet if the light changes. SCS buses can.
nater6540

#5 Post by nater6540 » 30 Aug 2022 14:58

I honestly put “Meh” because I literally don’t know if such a thing would even be legal in the first place, and if it’s not in any of the states we currently have, the AI would be committing a traffic violation at that point.
Optional Features

#6 Post by Optional Features » 30 Aug 2022 15:24

nater6540 wrote: 30 Aug 2022 14:58 I honestly put “Meh” because I literally don’t know if such a thing would even be legal in the first place, and if it’s not in any of the states we currently have, the AI would be committing a traffic violation at that point.
Some states it is legal to drive through yellow, but others it isn't. Not sure which.

Honestly, imo, vehicles should be able to drive through red lights when it's physically impossible to stop.

Back to my earlier comment, a loaded semi cannot stop in 50 feet. So if one approaches a light and it changes, the truck should drive right on through as it would irl.

Perfection is one of the things about the AI in this game that is most unrealistic.

AI always drive perfectly down the center of their lane. If you as a player move to one side, they slow down for no reason. They stop at every red light, even breaking the laws of physics to do so. And they never fail to signal while changing lanes or turning, drive without headlights at night or have a blown out light anywhere, speed or drive way under the speed limit for long periods of time, etc. Like the perfectly smooth roads, they are fictitiously perfect, complying with every possible rule. This makes them and much of the rest of the game feel incredibly fake.

I was playing a mobile game recently where the AI was all over its lane like some people irl. It was honestly impressive to see in a virtual setting.
nater6540

#7 Post by nater6540 » 30 Aug 2022 15:45

Yeah, and to make matters worse, not only does a semi need huge amounts of distance in front of it in order to stop, you can’t use the Jake brake inside of city limits to attempt to increase your stopping power because of how annoyingly loud it has a tendency to be, and muffled exhausts only do so much to cut the noise down, so I now understand why being given the option to go through red lights would make sense.
Optional Features

#8 Post by Optional Features » 30 Aug 2022 17:03

nater6540 wrote: 30 Aug 2022 15:45 Yeah, and to make matters worse, not only does a semi need huge amounts of distance in front of it in order to stop, you can’t use the Jake brake inside of city limits to attempt to increase your stopping power because of how annoyingly loud it has a tendency to be, and muffled exhausts only do so much to cut the noise down, so I now understand why being given the option to go through red lights would make sense.
Yeah, if they improved the AI, the roads (bumps, banking, crowning, bridge and tunnel height), and the vehicle physics the game would be far better even without more features or better graphics.

But with all of these things together, it's not what it should be.

Professional driving is a skilled trade imo: it takes almost no skill in game.
rookie31st

#9 Post by rookie31st » 30 Aug 2022 17:08

The problem with AI is that it brakes on yellow even if yellow light happens after AI crossed the stop line. At some intersections, AI brakes on yellow even when completing the turn. Considering their current behavior, making AI treat yellow as green would make them more predictable.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”