How to avoid duplicate .mat file names in Automat

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
stchamber11

How to avoid duplicate .mat file names in Automat

#1 Post by stchamber11 » 18 Aug 2022 17:16

I made a mod, (stickers for cabinet) with multiple .pmg and pmd's, with their associated dss and tobj. I used the notepad++ editor for the .mat, change the .pmd .mat name for automate. All works fine as a .scs in my mod folder. However, as you are already expecting me to say this, this does not work with the workshop uploader. I started anew, for testing this uploader. I can successfully mod a thrustmeter sticker, change shape (even though nothing to do with .mat) change texture, correctly set package and upload to workshop. I cannot create another version of this sticker, as even with shape change and new texture, the automat directory and .mat file name inbedded into the new .pmd is the same as the first. After a week long research, literally hours and hours, texting many different ways, I am stumped. Mod as SCS in mod folder easy! Mod as workshop upload, have to be per the rules and cannot figure it out. Yes, this is my first mod, and it turns out more difficult than setting up map mods, as I figured that out much faster. Thanks ahead of time!
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: How to avoid duplicate .mat file names in Automat

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 18 Aug 2022 17:19

use blender, do not change .mat files with any editor at all, the names of the materials are mathematically calculated from the content in them and then paired with their respective model file, this is the whole reason why the upload is not working because there is no validity in what you make
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
stchamber11

Re: How to avoid duplicate .mat file names in Automat

#3 Post by stchamber11 » 18 Aug 2022 19:41

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 18 Aug 2022 17:19 use blender, do not change .mat files with any editor at all, the names of the materials are mathematically calculated from the content in them and then paired with their respective model file, this is the whole reason why the upload is not working because there is no validity in what you make
Hi xXcarl...I left out the important detail. Yes, I am using the blender tools, as I researched that my first way cannot work. So what happens, when I export out with the tools, it gives me the new .pmd etc, but the directory and file name is duplicate of what the previous has, but with the different tobj pointer in it. I need to change something in blender to force a different .mat name. I start sticker one from the base.scs, make change and good. (even uploads to workshop). I used both the same sticker from base.scs and also tried repacking my new mod in scs format, bring into blender, ,make change and export. All good export, but that duplicate .mat with differant info. Sorry if I am not clear, I tend to give to many details!!

Return to “Help requests”