Texas Discussion Thread

SouthernMan

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#4781 Post by SouthernMan » 18 Aug 2022 16:16

Laqueesha wrote: 18 Aug 2022 15:46
flight50 wrote: 17 Aug 2022 23:50 I know people don't like plain white trailers but I agree that there should be more in traffic. Not necessarily owner operator though. Some have to be leased so keeping it plain jane is how to be generic. ATS needs a lot more trailer variety though and this only comes with more new companies. I'm still waiting for Tidbit and Farmer's Barn to get trailers. Same for containers on trailers. I think a solid 12 or so SCS parodies would be great. The more color ATS has in the environment, the more alive it feels. All the 2d and 3d work put into the game works a solid unit to appeal to the eye. The truck stops should be loaded with trailer variety. The new Cargo Forwarding depot coming for Texas should be full of trailer variety. In due time. The best part is we have confirmation that new companies are coming. Keeping this trend up for the game in general beyond Texas would be ideal. I sure hope that's the plan.
@Carman's fictional company trucks and trailers are the best I've seen. Fictional, but they look like they could be real companies:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1544238331
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1531401619
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1536429973
This is how SCS should make their fictional skins. There are lots and lots of possibilities for creative ideas to make unreal companies(ingame) look like real companies. Anyway.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
flight50

#4782 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 17:03

^Yes and this is exactly why the vehicle team should handle over those duties to the 2d concept artist. The vehicle team doesn't have the same talent as the hired in concept artist. I know other people will read this besides Annie. Maybe @Max, @Dareus, @Nemiro or @Kraake could make some suggestions to Pavel to let the 2d artist handle trailer designs moving forward. Its our best chance to get some better and more realistic trailer skins.

What we have sometimes get too cartoony.
Trenero

#4783 Post by Trenero » 18 Aug 2022 17:40

Also other thing to increase realism is to have different paintjobs for the same company, in real life companies buy their trailers in batches, and they have the same brand indentity but they always not perfectly identical between batches(Diferent size logos, logos in different positions, one have stripes other no, even some have aniversary logos...)

I know that have diferent paintjobs for the same company and trailer could be a problem, but currently there are 3 different size trailers that have the same paintjob(45", 48", 53") maybe you could implement variations of the paintjob for each different size so the AI appears to have more variety in colours, changing logos size, position, and even lossing colours in some cases.
Brendan0620

#4784 Post by Brendan0620 » 18 Aug 2022 20:42

It would be nice to see something new (i.e. Developer notes and extras as said in the Truck Stops blog back in February) on that Texas microsite again one day, I feel like I haven't seen anything new (minus the upcoming news section) on that site in a while.
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
AlexxxF1

#4785 Post by AlexxxF1 » 19 Aug 2022 08:13

supersobes wrote: 18 Aug 2022 03:58 On the topic of trailer variety and livery designs, I definitely agree that ATS needs more plain white trailers and fewer artistic trailers. A lot of the trailer liveries in ATS are somewhat unrealistic in that they don't reflect the kind of things you would see on trucks in the real world. A lot of dry van and reefer trailers are just a plain colour, more often than not white, with a simple logo and some text on them. I like this view over this truck stop because the sea of white boxes helps put it into perspective the kinds of trailers that are typical to see on the roads. This is the kind of stuff that I think would help make the ATS world more realistic.
I fully agree. It would be great if the trailers looked more realistic. make the world more realistic.
in fact, there are no so bright colors trailer liveries for a simple reason, so as not to distract while driving, so as not to provoke and create emergency situations on the road.
both in Europe and America.
and all refrigerators and isothermal trailers are white for a reason. this allows less heat in the sun. look in the same Arab countries, small cars, almost all cars there are white.

It would be great if there was more white color in traffic or trailers, in refs, isotherms, or trailers would not look so bright, so that the world would look more realistic.
very bright colors of the livery can be found, but 80-90% you will not find this on the roads.

[ external image ][ external image ]
[ external image ]
parasaurolophus67

#4786 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 19 Aug 2022 12:04

dude, you showed European trucks and one NA picture.
LATrucker

#4787 Post by LATrucker » 19 Aug 2022 12:23

^ He showed that, because he wrote that Europe and North America are pretty similiar regarding the Trailers:
AlexxxF1 wrote: 19 Aug 2022 08:13 in fact, there are no so bright colors trailer liveries for a simple reason, so as not to distract while driving, so as not to provoke and create emergency situations on the road.
both in Europe and America.
and all refrigerators and isothermal trailers are white for a reason. this allows less heat in the sun. look in the same Arab countries, small cars, almost all cars there are white.
parasaurolophus67

#4788 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 19 Aug 2022 12:29

yeah but Europe trailers are mostly more coloured then simply white then in NA.
AlexxxF1

#4789 Post by AlexxxF1 » 19 Aug 2022 13:14

parasaurolophus67 wrote: 19 Aug 2022 12:29 yeah but Europe trailers are mostly more coloured then simply white then in NA.
yes, I think in Europe the climate is cooler, and the white color is not so important, and more tarpaulin trailers and transportation are used, and not through isothermal trailers like in US. Therefore, it's true, in Europe are more colored and decorated trailers. I'm just talking about the fact that even in these colored and decorated ones, very bright and toxic paints are not used :D ( light yellow or light green for example ) so as not to distract from the road and not create emergency situations.

flight50 wrote: 17 Aug 2022 18:20 @AlexxxF1 That is a very nice chart you posted. I'm gonna have to use it against ya though, lol. That chart is the exact reason why I keep saying Texas needs so many new companies. When you look at Texas, you almost see every single color represented per your graph. That is why 10-12 new companies doesn't really work for Texas like it can for other ATS dlc's imho. There's a lot of companies that can bring more diversity to this dlc so that is why some of us keep comparing ATS to ETS2 number of companies per dlc. 15+ for Texas would be nice. When ETS2 host 19, 22 or even 33 companies......I don't think asking for at least 15 new ones for Texas is too bad.

Heck there's like 5-6 current companies that can get rebranded as is. Its better to use a new prefab but rebranding works. Orrrr rebrand and add to some prefabs. Sunshine Crops, Deepgrove, Vitas Power, Butimen, Plaster & Sons, Olthon Homes, Bushnell Farms, Chemso, Coastline Mining, Fish Tale Foods, Global Mills, HMS Machinery, Rail Export, Sell Goods, Sea Horizon, Waldens......all those are generic enough to get rebranded at least once in Texas. That's 16 new companies the easy way. Well at least for the asset team. Annie and Petr would have to do quite a bit. Sorry Annie :D.
Yes you are right. Texas is full of diversity like no other state. The only problem is that at the moment we only have states and companies in the West states.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that not 100% companies in Texas are working with the West States. There are much more companies in Texas that target the more industrial East states.
the products of these companies are tied into chains with industrial companies, not agricultural ones.
Therefore, until the East states come, we will not see 100% of the beauty of Texas in companies.
Perhaps in the future, with the addition of more East industrial states, more new companies will be added to the long-released Texas. who knows.

[ external image ]
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 20 Aug 2022 11:22, edited 3 times in total.
flight50

#4790 Post by flight50 » 19 Aug 2022 14:00

No doubt more companies must come as we head East. For example, manufacturing. Holly cow look at all the orange. That is what the Great Lakes and the Southeast is about. That is a ton. No wonder Pavel is heading to the Great Lakes. Agricultures is primarily in the West and in the Central Plains. That is why I mention a lot that the California rebuild, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas really have to bring the house for Agriculture. That industry tapers off as we get East of states North of Texas.

Now SCS can always go back and add new depots as things establish themselves in the East. Harder to do so but its just how the US is setup. SCS chose to do the US so they pretty much have their hands full with the way the economy works here. But that setup can't be ignored. We can't continue onwards without revisiting the past. Depots will have to be swapped out. Especially the Wallberts. The non functioning depots as well. They take up space where functional industry can go. Huge reason to have the rebuild team transition to a maintenance team after the base map is rebuilt. It would be great if that Jakub keeps lead for that.

Although I've always figured Texas can introduce a lot of new industries, it probably won't. So if it doesn't, it should a least add a lot of depth to existing industry to support the cargo chain. Retail should be a much larger part of the equation in ATS. The vast majority of products out there, are on the retail side for every day consumers. What can we as normal folk go to the store to get? I like to see cargo as things I see in my house, around my house, at work. Where does this stuff come from...how is it make..how can we transport it in a game. Does it makes sense to put such cargo in ATS. If the answer is yes, yes, yes, that is the type of stuff I always hope SCS researches and see how it can apply to ATS. That is how you add depth to ICCs imho. The links in my signature is a collaboration for tons of cargo.

Return to “General discussion about the game”