Why does the mouse cursor intermittently stop working with Steam input?

ghostravenstorm

Why does the mouse cursor intermittently stop working with Steam input?

#1 Post by ghostravenstorm » 19 Aug 2022 03:55

Controller support for ATS has gotten better, but its still buggy from my experience trying to play from the couch in Big Picture Mode.

I dislike the SCS default controller scheme, so I have been struggling for a while trying to customize everything using Steam Input. Before, I was playing with the game's native Xbox controller support. Sadly the native controller support doesn't support combo buttons (known as chorded pressed in Steam Input), so I couldn't map all the essential truck functions and UI nav on the controller. For a time I was playing on the couch with with an additional wireless keypad which did really suck until more Steam Input support came out. Since the update for Steam Deck support, I've switch over to Steam Input instead of native XInput because Steam Input would allow for more combination presses which supports my controller-exclusive playstyle better. But I still haven't worked out all the kinks yet. I can't tell if this is a game support problem or a Steam Input problem.

The main problems I'm still having are the mouse cursor on left stick not functioning at all in UI nav, or single buttons (assigned or not) seemingly doing multiple random functions all at once. When customzing, I wanted to keep all the default UI bindings so that all the UI tips and such would still match. So when modifying the SCS default scheme I leave the UI Action Set alone. But the Driving Action Set is the one I change over completely. I don't quite understand Action Layers, and seeing that they correspond to different drive modes I don't use, I just delete everything. Here's the problem I run into with these Action Layers: when I don't delete them I find that a single buton press does more than one thing. Deleting the Action Layers resolves this, but now for some reason the mouse cursor on left stick doesn't respond in UI mode. What's even weirder is that I can temporarily fix the mouse cursor not responding by going to the controller configure in the Steam menu and modify something, load, or export, then mouse cursor on left stick starts doing what it should be doing again. Anyone know what could be wrong?

I still don't know what in the game prompts the Steam Input system to switch from one Action Set to another. Is there some automatic trigger that only the devs have access to in the game's API, or do I as the player have some way to manually shift between sets or layers?
teknogeek

Re: Why does the mouse cursor intermittently stop working with Steam input?

#2 Post by teknogeek » 20 Aug 2022 16:22

I've been having the same issue as of recently on my Steam Deck, using Steam Input mode, but with the right stick. While driving around, the right stick for moving camera will randomly stop working. It almost always lets me move camera right, but camera left/up/down all stops working. If I let the stick sit for a sec and try again, sometimes it works. No idea why it started happening suddenly, the game was working fine last week.
ghostravenstorm

Re: Why does the mouse cursor intermittently stop working with Steam input?

#3 Post by ghostravenstorm » 17 Sep 2022 23:17

I love this game. I've put a lot into it and I want to see all 48 continental states get added one day. But I'm not a prosumer or h4rdc03r sim player. At the end of the day, I just want to sit on my couch, turn on big picture mode, and just run a few routes with no fuss. Configuring my XBox controller with Steam Input to account for all the necessary truck functions has been nothing but constant fuss and configuration hell. With the limited time I have, I rather spend it playing the game and enjoying the trucking catharsis. I rather not spend time to figure out work arounds for developer bugs or lack of features.

Return to “Technical Problems”