A Rework of the Garage System

Travismods

Re: A Rework of the Garage System

#41 Post by Travismods » 29 Jul 2022 11:13

Yeah, the yards Southernman has done are obviously more interesting and a bigger addition to the game, but I don't think these two have to compete with one another as they could bring different things for the player at different stages in the leveling. They should be different pieces to the same puzzle really - I'd love to be able to start small, purchase a house and park my truck in the driveway and treat it as my home base with sleep and travel functionality, only to later upgrade to one of these amazing yards!

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd just like to see SCS start somewhere. Do something small with all these houses and yards while mapping. At the very least, sprinkle a bit of trigger interactivity around the map and cities even if we don't get a complete rework of the garage system tomorrow. Make the scenery, cities, houses and yards mean something more than nothing. Right now it is so stale, lifeless and unimmersive and it is not inviting one to roleplay at all. This is so easy for the map team to incorporate into their work and it does not cost much performance either. I don't expect them to customize hundreds of locations for each map DLC but at least give us triggers we can use for basic roleplay around the map and be a bit less excessive with invisible walls so we can at least pretend to use what is there until an actual leveling system comes along.
AgMech

#42 Post by AgMech » 20 Aug 2022 00:24

#1 Post by seriousmods » 22 Dec 2021 02:33
The current ATS garage system does not fit the realities of American trucking. American trucking companies do not construct brick walls around their facilities or add a bay to the shop every time a truck is added.

Very accurate statement ! ! ! ! this is not ETS .. If you are going to make a sim to depict N. America, then represent more of those specific regional details. I agree the garage system needs an overhaul. That overhaul can surely be accomplished without breaking the game on the current engine. It does not have to be overly complicated. I like the idea of having a garage, then a small yard, maybe a few more bays, then advance to a warehouse/ depot with options to hire mechanics/ managers / dispatchers , and maybe include cargo storage. The other personnel could have skill levels that would impact available contracts, skill levels of potential new drivers, vehicle performance, ect . Also a visible storage of a few owned trailers ... Would make the game far more immersive and interesting beyond just driving a load from point A to point B, rinse , and repeat. Those that just want to drive solo can still do the simple, repetitive cycle ... Others want more management aspects in the company. What's the point in owning multiple trucks and trailers that you can never see in game ? I can already do a similar system on a flight sim with a add on called Air Hauler.. I can set up bases, hire pilots, buy and maintain aircraft and dispatch pilots with multiple cargo destinations , while I fly my own cargo jobs . I do not see why you cannot do that same system with ATS ?
[ external image ]
Nothing better than riding a fine horse, through new country
Optional Features

#43 Post by Optional Features » 20 Aug 2022 02:45

AgMech wrote: 20 Aug 2022 00:24 #1 Post by seriousmods » 22 Dec 2021 02:33
The current ATS garage system does not fit the realities of American trucking. American trucking companies do not construct brick walls around their facilities or add a bay to the shop every time a truck is added.

Very accurate statement ! ! ! ! this is not ETS .. If you are going to make a sim to depict N. America, then represent more of those specific regional details. I agree the garage system needs an overhaul. That overhaul can surely be accomplished without breaking the game on the current engine. It does not have to be overly complicated. I like the idea of having a garage, then a small yard, maybe a few more bays, then advance to a warehouse/ depot with options to hire mechanics/ managers / dispatchers , and maybe include cargo storage. The other personnel could have skill levels that would impact available contracts, skill levels of potential new drivers, vehicle performance, ect . Also a visible storage of a few owned trailers ... Would make the game far more immersive and interesting beyond just driving a load from point A to point B, rinse , and repeat. Those that just want to drive solo can still do the simple, repetitive cycle ... Others want more management aspects in the company. What's the point in owning multiple trucks and trailers that you can never see in game ? I can already do a similar system on a flight sim with a add on called Air Hauler.. I can set up bases, hire pilots, buy and maintain aircraft and dispatch pilots with multiple cargo destinations , while I fly my own cargo jobs . I do not see why you cannot do that same system with ATS ?
Yep, we have to somehow convince SCS that they have made an excellent base for a great game. The game itself needs a lot more to be complete. And the start of that is the player's home. We should want to come back to our garages/yards just like I enjoy looking at my farm in FS22. It should be a special place that we've put work into and reflects our unique business needs.

Then from that, we need the cargo system to reflect multiple types of cargo. Right now, grain, gasoline, heavy equipment, and shipping containers are basically the same thing in game. There should be differences, and players should want to specialize in a certain type of cargo. And then that specialization should be reflected in the player's yard.
AgMech

#44 Post by AgMech » 20 Aug 2022 03:08

@ seriousmods, right on. We do get to personalize aspects of our rigs, which is great. But it would also be great to do the same to our garages/yards . Good comparison to FS22. Getting to model our own real estate as well as our machines to our personal tastes and likes. I like the way I set my farm up , as opposed to the prefab in game layouts put on the maps. I would like the same freedom to set up my own garage/yard, but that would be extreme wishful thinking . I often see smaller trucking companies specializing in certain cargoes ie. liquids , dry bulk products , ect. And their yards reflect that, especially with the extra trailers stored on site .... More immersion value to the game ..
[ external image ]
Nothing better than riding a fine horse, through new country
Optional Features

#45 Post by Optional Features » 20 Aug 2022 03:34

AgMech wrote: 20 Aug 2022 03:08 @ seriousmods, right on. We do get to personalize aspects of our rigs, which is great. But it would also be great to do the same to our garages/yards . Good comparison to FS22. Getting to model our own real estate as well as our machines to our personal tastes and likes. I like the way I set my farm up , as opposed to the prefab in game layouts put on the maps. I would like the same freedom to set up my own garage/yard, but that would be extreme wishful thinking . I often see smaller trucking companies specializing in certain cargoes ie. liquids , dry bulk products , ect. And their yards reflect that, especially with the extra trailers stored on site .... More immersion value to the game ..
Exactly! A terminal for an LTL company wouldn't be shared with a tanker company or a grain hauling company. The one-size fits all yards of ATS really don't fit any application: they look more like a repair shop, without the ability to repair.
Axel Slingerland

#46 Post by Axel Slingerland » 23 Sep 2022 17:25

Normally, I would tell you that you're wasting your time wishing for repair options in garages, because there has been multiple requests for them made over and over by many people (myself included) ever since I bought the game 9 years ago. SCS never responded. But after the same number of years, SCS has decided to do something I thought they would never do, and that is make to ETS2 a Multiplayer game. I assume since they both run on the same version of Prism3D, that includes ATS as well. My advice is to add a poll to this thread, with several options on what you would like to see get done, and don't let this thread die...

The more support your ideas have, the better the chances are for seeing them become a reality. Remember to stick to things that are really going to give the game something good, not crap like wanting your driver to be able exit the truck or change clothes. Those things wouldn't get used more than once or twice, and thus don't really do anything substantial for the game. Truck Service in garages and gas stations are now a real possibility, because ProMods put them in version 2.33, which is the version for ETS2 1.34. ETS2, ATS and ProMods all have had 11 updates since then.

I've said all along that the whole point of having a garage is for truck maintenance, not for a resting place. I don't know about other places, but there are no beds in any garages I have ever been to. In fact, it's illegal in many places in the US to "live" in a business. Besides, truckers rest on the road, not back at the shack. If you were going to rest even remotely close to your base, you would just drop your truck off and go home. But they also need service on the road, which is why I have always said service options were needed in gas stations and some of the larger company lots. A key option is just like the gas in your garage that you can set your own price for, by setting the discount off the price setting per country (or state in ATS, I assume), truck service in your garage (but not public gas stations) should be able to discounted based the cost of service in public facilities. So don't forget about that...

Good luck!
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Optional Features

#47 Post by Optional Features » 23 Sep 2022 21:08

Axel Slingerland wrote: 23 Sep 2022 17:25 The more support your ideas have, the better the chances are for seeing them become a reality. Remember to stick to things that are really going to give the game something good, not crap like wanting your driver to be able exit the truck or change clothes. Those things wouldn't get used more than once or twice, and thus don't really do anything substantial for the game.
This is your opinion based on the way you play. I would use these features (particularly the walk mode) almost every time I play as would thousands of other players. The ability to change driver skins would also be used by many players, although how often is up in the air. At the least, once at the start of every profile. If seasons became a thing or there seemed to be a movement of time, that number would increase.

Just because you wouldn't use something doesn't mean it wouldn't be used. From large YouTube creators like Jeff Favignano to respondents to an SCS feature request tweet to the viewers of dozens of tutorial videos showing players how to "walk" to the people that think they see walking and immediately ask how, there is a massive support base for this feature. It's one of the simplest things SCS could do to improve their game and seemingly takes no more effort than to move a map editor feature over to the official game.
Last edited by Optional Features on 23 Sep 2022 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#48 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 Sep 2022 21:11

"as would tens of thousands of other players. The ability to change driver skins would also be used by many players,"

that is your opinion, where are the facts that this is the truth ? nowhere
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Optional Features

#49 Post by Optional Features » 23 Sep 2022 21:17

A handful of examples of these tutorials:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Any officially supported walk feature would keep the player within the bounds of the map (the same limitations that confine a vehicle in game). The devcam has no such limitation, and allows players to look at places not meant for viewing.

But most importantly, the dev cam is not a feature and should not be used as one.
plykkegaard

#50 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Sep 2022 21:38

seriousmods wrote: 23 Sep 2022 21:08 ... as would tens of thousands of other players.
Easy now, not that many players, never been
20k players in ETS2 and 4K in ATS on average

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”