50%
US Wrecker Truck (Ford 9000)
38%

Total votes: 8

Gardijntje

My Truck Scale Models (With progress)

#1 Post by Gardijntje » 25 Sep 2022 19:50

Full album here: https://postimg.cc/user/gardijntje

Poll avaible for next model, go and pick one, cause I can't..
- Daf 95 Canvas https://ibb.co/KLCjRmW
- Volvo F16 Globetrotter Canvas https://ibb.co/ZH9pcgc
- US Wrecker Truck (Ford 9000) https://ibb.co/bPVCqYS

Topic still is a WIP
Hi yall, and welcome
Been away on the forums for about a year or so, but decided to return and once again share my love for your simulators, and anything truck related, with the rest of the community..
Now, let's talk SCALE MODELS.

Background and intro
I'm a scale model builder and ETS2/ATS fanboi since I was a small kid, I stopped the hobby ages ago but last year started again.
Here I'm gonna post my progress on the model I'm currently building, as well as a small gallery of every model I've build so far (at least the trucks and trailers I build)
If there is alot of interest, I might upload non truck related model kits as well..
The scales I build is mostly 1/24 or 1/25 (Trucks and cars), 1/12 (bikes) and some 1/35 (militaria) as well.
At any point in time, I have 3 projects running.. A big project, like a truck model or something I really wanna put the extra effort in, than second, a smaller project, like a car, or bike or something with less detail/cheaper. And third a big 1/35 military project. Which concludes solely of tank transport trucks and trailers, building these goes alot faster than a truck or car, since you glue everything together and than paint/airbrush. You can't really do that with a truck model..
I use lacquer based paints only (Tamiya LP range), and automotive colors (Zero Paints, Number Five), to perfectly match the real counterpart.
I airbrush 95% of the parts with an airbrush with 0.4mm needle and nozle at around 1.2bar
I clear coat almost all my models (depening on shinyness) with a gloss varnish: Zero Paints 3035 Diamond Finish - 2 Pack GLOSS Clearcoat System (2K Urethane)
You will also see that I build some trucks with alot more detail and custom stuff, and some just straight out of the box.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Tips and tricks are also very much welcome!
Enjoy!
Let's kick things off with what's currently under construction!

Work In Progress
Heller 80773 1/24 - Scania LB-141 [ external image ]
Build with some grade up parts, photo etched parts and extra stuff. Custom paintjob as well.
I bought this kit second hand for a cheap, but the listing said some small parts ended up loose from the sprues, and got lost.. No biggie I figured, I'll contact Heller and ask for some replacement parts. Al good and well, filed in their lost parts form, but it's been over 2 weeks now with no anwser.. I really do hope they get back to me soon..
Anyway, it's a really detailed and well build kit, with alot of customizing options out of the box for a couple of different looks!
The only issue, the cabin fit.. The cabin alone has to be glued together from alot of parts, backside, front grille, roof, doors, and innerwalls.
And the fact you can't pre assemble the cab fully for airbrush, without adding the finished interior in first, makes it abit of a struggle.. I got everything to fit decently, except my floor panel is warping abit on the driverside.. But that can be fixed with some putty or styreen profiles.
Paintjob is loosely based on this irl model: [ external image ]
Engine recieved a colormatching Detroit Diesel Alpine Green paintjob, some weathering (might have done it abit to agressive), and couple of fuel lines left and right.
Interior some shades of different brown/creme, and custom PE dashboard. Since the original one was just a water slide decal, with 0 relief and detail whatsoever.
The photo etched dashboard is a really nice touch, especially since my driverside door is opened.
Chassis wil be covered up with checker plates (like in the reference photo), so no plumbing was done.
Offcourse I had to go for the exhauststack coming out from behind the cab, rather than the exhaust underneath the chassis.
I bought a upgrade set with couple of Photo Etched parts to give the model a more pleasant and accurate look.
Further updates conclude, PE fuel tank supports, as the fuel tanks supports from the kit are simplfied and don't look all that great.. The fuel tanks themselfs are ready to be painted, and eventually installed.
Also some PE mudflaps behind the cab and backwheels (still have to be installed)
The cab also has PE badges and logo's. The original ones included in the kit were decals.. These PE badges are almost a must, they look soo good on the model!
Album here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/jW22vcV

Finished builds
2015 Lindberg HL118 1/25 - Dodge L700 w Tanker Trailer (Shell) [ external image ]
The L-700 was produced in the Dodge L series which also included the L-600 they were manufactured form 1966 to 1971. The main difference between the 600 and the 700 hundred is fuel type the L-600 ran on gasoline where the 700 came with a diesel engine. The original engine type was a slant 6 engine a while later they replaced that with the V8.
Fun little kit to build! Defenitely for the more experienced modeler. Alot of sanding, fitting, resanding and refitting. But what a gorgeous model!
Build out of the box with some piping for the lights, brakes and fuel. The lines were made with fishing and electric wire.
The engine recieved some love as well, with the ignition leads, but nothing over the top, as it will stay hidden when displayed anyways.
Color used: some very very old stock I had laying around from Revell. It's an emanel babyblue paint from 1991(!!) I wasn't even born/planned yet.
Engine colors, just a mix of aluminium, silver, and red for the covers.
Chassis in semi gloss black.
The tanker trailer was nothing really special, it's just HUGEEE.. The tub got a shiny black base, followed with a chrome coating.
And then, I don't know why, don't ask me why, but I decided to go to town and back with the dirt and weathering on my brand new shiny chrome painted trailer..
I've never really weathered before, but theres not really much to it.. Just dab your bristle in the paint, close your eyes, and Bob Ross away!
It turned out alot better than I originally planned! Halfway through I thought, what did I do to myself.. But it turned out decent!
The trailer however doesn't really fit together with the clean, near mint and pristine Dodge infront, so I keep them seperated to display.
Album here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/GyRMW3f

2019 AMT 1147 1/25 - Ford C600 Tilt Cab Stake Truck (Coca Cola) [ external image ]
The Ford C series is a range of trucks that was assembled by Ford between 1957 and 1990. The first cab-over engine (COE) truck produced with a tilting cab by Ford, the C-series replaced the C-series COE variant of the F-series, produced since 1948. Produced as both a straight/rigid truck and a tractor, a wide range of versions of C-series was produced, ranging from Class 5 to Class 8 GVWR ratings. The C-series was also used as a basis for fire apparatus production.
Produced for 33 years nearly unchanged (with the exception of its powertrain), the C-series was the longest-produced commercial truck in North America at the time of its withdrawal; only the Mack Model R (39 years) and Kenworth W900 (59 years) have remained in production longer. In 1986, Ford began phasing in the Ford Cargo in North America, serving as its replacement after the 1990 model year.
If we are talking about real classics, you just got to mention the Ford Cabovers.
The kit was easy enough to build, the usual AMT quality and standards, officially licenced by Coca Cola, and has 2 oldschool vending machines.
She was build straight out of the box with no extra detailing. There was no need for air/Fuel lines, as with the stake bed, the chassis is covered completely..
However, I did add an aftermarket photo etched ratchet strap, which I had to bend (cause it's photo etched) cause non were included in the kit. The shop ran out of orange strap, so yellow has to do it for now.
I found the original matching 1980's Coca Cola red paint from Zero Paints, so that was a no brainer for this project.
The engine got a coat of the iconic color matching Ford/GM Engine Blue, but no further detailing was done
Following the instructions (and as seen on the boxart) the wooden bed and racks are a white painted wood, I didn't really like the look of it, so I bought a 'wooden paint set' with 6 different shades of wood colors. First time trying this, and I was super pleased with the end result! Looks just like a real wooden deck!
Album here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/zXSRzQ1

2018 Italeri 3925 1/24 - Freightliner FLD120 Special [ external image ]
Come back later, post still under heavy construction
The Freightliner FLD120 Special from Italeri.. A kit that ALMOST falls together, but as you will see in the pictures, there are a couple of issues with my build sadly..
For starter, somehow the hood has a different shade than the rest of the cab and sleeper.. It's more of a creme shade.. and it clearly stands out even in the pictures..
What excactly caused this? I'm suspecting the grey primer.. I primed the hood and than sanded it smooth as it had alot of imperfections.. I'm guessing that's where the different shade comes from..
And to make things even worse, the damn hood isn't properly closing.. (Only if I put pressure on the chassis and cabin)
Somewhere along the line of assembeling the chassis construction, the beams were just a coule of mm off, tho I checked to make sure it was all perfectly lined up.. but sadly that mistake translated in a not perfectly closing hood as the build progressed..
Ooh well, not all can go to plan right? It's still a beast of a machine and a real classic beauty in the American trucking scene.
Album here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/q2gcRm5
Shiva

Re: My Truck Scale Models (With progress)

#2 Post by Shiva » 06 Oct 2022 21:48

I would recommend a https://www.flickr.com/ account, for youe photos.
Nice builds!

I would vote for 1 of the canvas trucks.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
bumbumek

Re: My Truck Scale Models (With progress)

#3 Post by bumbumek » 06 Oct 2022 21:56

Really great project, voted for Volvo Canvas 👍

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”