I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

Theosz

Re: I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

#191 Post by Theosz » 02 Oct 2022 22:02

still is a huuge issue in this game after all these so many years!!!

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

it is normal in ETS2 v1.45. ATS doesnt do that
PLEASE, vote for krizzy090's idea about ownable freightmarket skins viewtopic.php?f=185&t=276108
Brazil... shanty towns
since ATS 1.32... and counting
Optional Features

#192 Post by Optional Features » 02 Oct 2022 22:56

ATS has it as well, particularly with following vehicles. They can't pick a lane, so they just snake along.
Vinnie Terranova

#193 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 03 Oct 2022 02:12

Well, here's the thing: the time has come that with the upcoming release of Texas, with it's bigger and wider roads, we need a much densier AI traffic. But with much densier AI traffic it will become even more noticable that the AI has some really nasty bugs. So, what SCS could do is not fixing the AI bugs and not increasing AI traffic density, which would leave us with very sparse AI traffic on those big and wide roads...

Sure, Texas will be a nice and eyecatching DLC; the last blog we got (about oil fields and chemical plants) has me convinced about that. But at the same time ATS has a big problem in its core gameplay...
Viper28

#194 Post by Viper28 » 03 Oct 2022 02:37

well of course it's a big issue and nothing has been done about it. Why would they make it a priority? They obviously keep selling their products with no downward trend. I'm sorry but pretty textures only go so far, and frankly this game is largely smoke and mirrors with nothing substantial underneath the somewhat glossy veneer. Could it be more? Well, maybe, but there's no drive for that really. and the PROOF is in what is given. Nothing mold-breaking, nothing that pushes the needle forward. Look around the forums, most folks are posting praise in inquiries on trucks, states, trailers, and to a somewhat lesser degree cargo. And most of the posts are people satisified with the STATUS QUO. And as long as that is the majority case and it aligns with the company's vision, it simply isn't a priority at all. period. Nor is anything else that really moves the game forward. Disagree all you want, reason/rationalize away all you want but it is what it is.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Corvinus

#195 Post by Corvinus » 03 Oct 2022 09:24

One thing I honestly cannot understand in the game is the need for invisible barrier on train crossings. I get PTSD every time I get close to one, because some of them don't even light up or give a warning until the exact time the wall comes up. Why not just let us take our own risks... I'd have this reworked before AI.

On the AI side, I can live with weird lane shifting in traffic. What I cannot stand is the nonsensical ramming into player vehicle even at rest stops. Two entirely unrealistic IRL examples which I have on video:

ETS2: Me waiting to exit gas station, police car rams into me after filling himself, even if it has 10 car widths to exit himself with me on the far right side insists on going "through" me.
ATS: Me passing a weigh station at a lot, AI vocational truck ramming the end of my trailer way after I've passed when he's done weighing, as if there's no collision detection at all.

There certainly are quirks in the matrix, but I have faith they may be reworked, albeit in slow fashion.
plykkegaard

#196 Post by plykkegaard » 03 Oct 2022 10:24

The lane shifting feature is something whuch was introduced some years ago
In the early days we didn't these crazy AI issues, we had other problems with the AI though
Fixing one AI problem has introduced other problems
This is why changes are very slow atm

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
VTXcnME

#197 Post by VTXcnME » 03 Oct 2022 18:08

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 03 Oct 2022 02:12 Well, here's the thing: the time has come that with the upcoming release of Texas, with it's bigger and wider roads, we need a much densier AI traffic. But with much densier AI traffic it will become even more noticable that the AI has some really nasty bugs. So, what SCS could do is not fixing the AI bugs and not increasing AI traffic density, which would leave us with very sparse AI traffic on those big and wide roads...

Sure, Texas will be a nice and eyecatching DLC; the last blog we got (about oil fields and chemical plants) has me convinced about that. But at the same time ATS has a big problem in its core gameplay...
Agree with all. Texas roads, being an eye catching state.... most of all: the scant traffic that will be on the road due to the poor AI navigation.

For a game that's priority is driving along roads, having AI traffic that randomly stops on overpasses, or merges without space, or pulls out in front of you at a light.... VERY MUCH immersion breaking game play.
Optional Features

#198 Post by Optional Features » 03 Oct 2022 20:36

Yeah, Texas will really be the first time we should have heavy traffic, but don't. We have a big city in almost every state, but this is a state made of big cities.

Going to be some interesting times.
supersobes
Global moderator

#199 Post by supersobes » 03 Oct 2022 21:58

We have lots of large metropolitan areas in ATS that have heavy traffic IRL such as Denver, Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, etc. Heck, we have Los Angeles where rush hour traffic is literally a meme. I would expect the traffic in large metro areas in Texas like Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth to be similar to what we have already been seeing.

For the time being, I think the lack of traffic is actually okay. Before SCS starts getting the game to spawn more traffic, something should be done about the traffic behaviour that has seemingly gotten worse in one of the past few updates. I've actually turned my g_traffic down from 1.0 (the default) to 0.5. I've done so partially because I'm running the game on hardware that is considered somewhat old now, but also it seems to help with the traffic just randomly stopping in the middle of the highway for no reason. The traffic in its current state seems to work better when there are fewer vehicles on the road.
Axel Slingerland

#200 Post by Axel Slingerland » 03 Oct 2022 22:15

The way I look at it the AI traffic is like real traffic, except for one thing. You can not memorize what people will do on the road because people are unpredictable. But you can memorize what the AI traffic will do, because it is a computer program. However, whether you can memorize what the AI will do or not, if you drive the same way you do (or at least the way you should) in real life, you will have nothing to worry about.

However, remember the A in AI stands for Artificial, which means you can't actually kill them, no matter how hard you try. So if you drive like I do in the game, which I wouldn't even consider doing in real life, remember to have fun. Because that is what games are for.

Keep On Truckin'...
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers

Return to “General discussion about the game”