[SOLVED] Chrome reflection not seamless with bevels.

ChiliBeef

[SOLVED] Chrome reflection not seamless with bevels.

#1 Post by ChiliBeef » 23 Nov 2022 23:08

Is this a Blender thing where a reflective material like chrome will look utterly stupid and unnatural on any faces that are part of a bevel?

[ external image ]

All I can tell is that chrome is a texture or material or whatever that doesn't follow normal rules like any other material. Like, you can remove the Attributes and UV Maps and the chrome will still stay; any other material and it'll go black.

I have tried the Weighted Normal modifier in all sorts of configurations and it will not make the texture look natural. I've tried different angles with the edges, nothing. UV unwrapping didn't do anything. I've tried Auto Smooth at different settings. Again, no favorable results.

This might also explain why all the chrome parts in game have weird white jagged lines along the edges.
Last edited by ChiliBeef on 25 Nov 2022 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever cannot express a thought logically and clearly cannot produce a logical and clear thought to express."
ONURKULL

Re: [Blender 3.2] Chrome reflection not seamless with bevels.

#2 Post by ONURKULL » 24 Nov 2022 07:16

its not about material or texture, you have to edit UVMAP (use seam to edge) of part.
overfloater

#3 Post by overfloater » 24 Nov 2022 08:04

No.... this has nothing to do with UV map. @onurkull - The picture is a reflection, not a surface texture.

It's not a blender thing either. It's that skybox. There's no way around this.
The normals of that object look as correct as they can get.

It's gonna look different in-game, if textures quality isn't set to low.
ChiliBeef

#4 Post by ChiliBeef » 24 Nov 2022 14:32

@overfloater Ah, okay. I wasn't aware that it'll look different in-game. I do have my settings set to Ultra.
"Whoever cannot express a thought logically and clearly cannot produce a logical and clear thought to express."

Return to “Blender Tools”