Oklahoma Discussion Thread

nautofon

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#871 Post by nautofon » 27 Nov 2022 08:41

flight50 wrote: 27 Nov 2022 01:29Phrases like I think and I'm not mistaking doesn't sound like a confident answer as to functionality. Sounds like you're guess is as good as anyone's.
You got it: I'm confident about my lack of confidence. That's why I phrased it like that.

It is an educated guess, based on the fact that there is a fixed number (ten) of such dynamic depots, which is known from the game files, and each such depot belongs to exactly one city, and the fact that the number of active dynamic depots appears to always be smaller than the total number of dynamic depots. But what I wrote earlier is not necessarily the only possible conclusion here, hence the lack of certainty.

flight50 wrote: 27 Nov 2022 01:29Even if your assumption is correct, sounds like the depot cycles inactivity randomly. Either something is binary....0 or 1, or it's random.
Or both. Or neither. In this case, it's clearly binary (either the roadwork is represented by the regular prefab or by the "disabled" prefab). Whether or not the cycle is random I don't know. In the prefab defs, these places have a setting "running_timer: (1000, 3000)", but the presumed existence of a timer doesn't rule out a random factor. Your guess is as good as mine. :)

Anyways, the point about random road events is that they can occur basically anywhere. This also happens to be the case for IRL roadwork. But I don't think this is the case for the dynamic depots. If true, this is a pretty significant difference between the two.

Madkine wrote: 27 Nov 2022 06:46 Random events also only happen at specified locations, but seem to be able to have multiple random events occur at that location (and sometimes none).
Um, multiple random events at the same location at the same time? That would certainly be a bug.

I suppose it may technically be true that random events are limited to specific locations as well, but if that is the case, we're talking ten (roadwork locations) versus tens of thousands (random event locations), so I'd say the point still stands.
Tristman

#872 Post by Tristman » 27 Nov 2022 10:28

If you search in the map editor for “tx roadwork” or something like that, you will find a bunch of different assets. There’s a roadwork and there is a piece of intact road, which probably alternate based on some values.

Actually, two sets of roadwork/fixed road exist and are used in different places on the map, but other than the filename I’m not sure what the difference is.
Madkine
Global moderator

#873 Post by Madkine » 27 Nov 2022 10:34

@nautofon No not at the same time.

Lets say location A is designated as a random event location. That location will then have a list of possible events that can occur if one occurs at that location.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
nautofon

#874 Post by nautofon » 27 Nov 2022 10:47

^ That's not how random events work though. The "list" is in def/world/journey_road_event.sii and doesn't vary by location. There are some limits for lane type, available length, max curviness etc. that vary for the individual events, but in principle, random road events can happen anywhere and are not limited to a small set of specific locations. There even are mods using this feature to add like random potholes and stuff all over the place, that's how generic it is.
Madkine
Global moderator

#875 Post by Madkine » 27 Nov 2022 11:55

Ok, thanks for the correction.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Shiva

#876 Post by Shiva » 27 Nov 2022 13:06

etsuco05 wrote: 26 Nov 2022 21:50 The H.E. Bailey Turnpike, which is I-44 from OKC to north of Lawton and from Exit 5 to just south of Lawton, is all electronic tolling now. As of about six weeks ago, the toll plazas were still standing but traffic was detoured along the PikePass (electronic toll) lane.
This, I think is important.
All these 3 tolls going to electric tolling, or 2 of them?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35.2009 ... m2!4m1!3e0
@etsuco05 ?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#877 Post by flight50 » 27 Nov 2022 14:11

@nautofon Thanks for the explanations. I don’t dig into the game files to figure out how stuff works so I’ll defer to what you guys say. Whatever those works are is pretty cool and I hope to see them in Oklahoma and beyond.

In fact, they should build on this for as many possible ways they can. I think it can work for logging camps. Maybe other depot types too. One idea I always have are to see complex prefabs one day. This could be that chance. If it’s a matter of on and off. Example. SCS creates a huge logging camp maze in the woods. Let’s say 2-3 square km. Give it 2-3 entrances and there are 3-5 possible logging camps sites within this maze. Each time we load up the game, we could get any one of those logging camps vs the same. This is felt more by those that want to haul logs with owned trailers the most.

This would mean SCS needs to create a lot more variety for camps. The best part is, they are all fictional so the designer can do whatever if there is nothing to reference. If the engine updates, more can happen in the games. Let’s say one path is harder than the other, one is more elevated and steeper, one is has a narrower path, if truck washes comes, dirt and mud comes, one path could more slippery, one has more debris on it with stones, tree branches or potholes. A bit of a challenge could come a people can take favorite paths to a degree to reach each location.

SCS might be onto something here if they just develop it more.
nautofon

#878 Post by nautofon » 27 Nov 2022 17:34

Extending dynamic depots to forestry is a pretty good idea I think. That ought to be relatively easy. Not sure which other industries might benefit from it, but yeah, it's a cool system and they should build on it as much as possible.
Kaleidescoop

#879 Post by Kaleidescoop » 27 Nov 2022 18:57

Maybe time-limited stuff like convention centers and expos? Stuff that isn't constant but does pop up every so often. Closed down stores that usually aren't deliverable but turn into Spirit Halloween knockoffs?

Building maintenance? Maybe a Wallbert location is closed for remodelling or construction and you'd be delivering construction material there to a Plaster and Sons site with scaffolding around the building prefab instead. More road maintenance? Right now it's limited to only that specific type of road and number of lanes, but they could make more variants to fit more types of roads and be able to place them in more locations.

To get even more extreme you could have a cycle with long timers of companies going out of business and being replaced by others and so on and so on. Charged closing, the prefab staying closed for a while, then a Plugged opening in that location, which would stay for a while before going out of business and being replaced by a Poweco, etc. Or even a store that you've delivered to being torn down, turning into a construction site, before being replaced by a different prefab altogether.
I think trucks are cool.
oldmanclippy

#880 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Nov 2022 19:46

flight50 wrote: 27 Nov 2022 14:11 @nautofon Thanks for the explanations. I don’t dig into the game files to figure out how stuff works so I’ll defer to what you guys say. Whatever those works are is pretty cool and I hope to see them in Oklahoma and beyond.

In fact, they should build on this for as many possible ways they can. I think it can work for logging camps. Maybe other depot types too. One idea I always have are to see complex prefabs one day. This could be that chance. If it’s a matter of on and off. Example. SCS creates a huge logging camp maze in the woods. Let’s say 2-3 square km. Give it 2-3 entrances and there are 3-5 possible logging camps sites within this maze. Each time we load up the game, we could get any one of those logging camps vs the same. This is felt more by those that want to haul logs with owned trailers the most.

This would mean SCS needs to create a lot more variety for camps. The best part is, they are all fictional so the designer can do whatever if there is nothing to reference. If the engine updates, more can happen in the games. Let’s say one path is harder than the other, one is more elevated and steeper, one is has a narrower path, if truck washes comes, dirt and mud comes, one path could more slippery, one has more debris on it with stones, tree branches or potholes. A bit of a challenge could come a people can take favorite paths to a degree to reach each location.

SCS might be onto something here if they just develop it more.
Yep for sure, could be used in Oklahoma too for oil and gas.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”