Texas Discussion Thread

SuchManor

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#8341 Post by SuchManor » 28 Nov 2022 00:38

They are holding themselves back by thinking all they can use are prefabs. Just like how interchanges used to be one massive prefab. They need to just build the area and put company locators where they should be. Scraping by and doing the bare minimum by using years old prefabs instead of exploring other options.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
Optional Features

#8342 Post by Optional Features » 28 Nov 2022 01:51

SuchManor wrote: 28 Nov 2022 00:38 They are holding themselves back by thinking all they can use are prefabs. Just like how interchanges used to be one massive prefab. They need to just build the area and put company locators where they should be. Scraping by and doing the bare minimum by using years old prefabs instead of exploring other options.
Exactly! Have the mapping team build the state: then have the trigger team come after and add all the gas station triggers, sleep triggers, companies, etc.

There are decorative big box stores, and big box store prefabs. That doesn't make sense to me: just have big box stores and some have triggers and some don't.

Same with grain elevators. There are prefabs and deco ones, but the deco ones are almost all better.
fra_ba

#8343 Post by fra_ba » 28 Nov 2022 05:17

SuchManor wrote: 28 Nov 2022 00:38 They need to just build the area and put company locators where they should be.
For this to happen, the mapper should be able to manually put spawn and delivery locators inside the editor, which is not the case with editor existing capabilities. Hope it can be implemented in future updates.
Optional Features

#8344 Post by Optional Features » 28 Nov 2022 05:51

fra_ba wrote: 28 Nov 2022 05:17
SuchManor wrote: 28 Nov 2022 00:38 They need to just build the area and put company locators where they should be.
For this to happen, the mapper should be able to manually put spawn and delivery locators inside the editor, which is not the case with editor existing capabilities. Hope it can be implemented in future updates.
It is somewhat possible based on what @SouthernMan did. He created a prefab with no buildings, and used it to add a company to the Spokane Convention Center for example.
Tristman

#8345 Post by Tristman » 28 Nov 2022 09:44

fra_ba wrote: 28 Nov 2022 05:17
Is it though? There are a bunch of companies in Promods Canada that are really just a collection of scenery items with some spawn and delivery locators on them. If PM can do it, there’s no reason why SCS couldn’t.
flight50

#8346 Post by flight50 » 28 Nov 2022 12:56

I was once told that all depots are made to be functional. It's just a matter if it's active or not. I won't dive into that source so take it with a grain of salt. But it makes sense that there are some good scenic depots at their core. Ones closer to the roads have a lil more detail but it's for obvious reasons.

It's also why Southernan can go into the prehabs he has experimented with and make them functional. Thing is, cluttering up a city with depots can get messy. But I do like how this Texas dlc spreads depots out. They are not all clustered in town center. More active depots whether new companies and/or new prefab variant is always a good thing.
fra_ba

#8347 Post by fra_ba » 28 Nov 2022 14:02

Tristman wrote: 28 Nov 2022 09:44 Is it though? There are a bunch of companies in Promods Canada that are really just a collection of scenery items with some spawn and delivery locators on them. If PM can do it, there’s no reason why SCS couldn’t.
Yeah promods also does that. The keyword in my comment was "inside the editor". The delivery points in those prefabs are rigid and are predetermined outside the editor like in blender. It's possible to make empty prefabs without buildings but with set of locators. But it need to be tested inside the editor, so an iterative process is required, which is sort of similar to what scs currently does with normal prefabs, an iterative process between asset maker and mapper.
Another limitation is that the prefab can be used only once in a single city.
But if mappers can change the delivery points configuration inside the editor, lots of opportunities can be created without iterating inside and outside the editor.
The current practice doesn't support this as it requires you to attach a specifically defined prefab to a city and company. So not sure how it can be done!
SuchManor

#8348 Post by SuchManor » 28 Nov 2022 21:24

If the current practice doesn't support it.... then SCS should make an effort for that to happen. They have the resources to experiment with new ways for companies to work. We need to see that. If not... then stop doing the bare minimum and make NEW prefabs instead of using years old ones. Even if all they do is make a tiny block that is the "prefab" and build the company with assets around that.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
Optional Features

#8349 Post by Optional Features » 28 Nov 2022 21:39

Agreed! It was surprising to see this one pop back up. It was in Montana as well. Original Cali assets should stay in original Cali imo.

[ external image ]
Brycero

#8350 Post by Brycero » 28 Nov 2022 22:47

Yeah, I delivered to that depot in Kalispell all the time. That's an old depot. It's a serious throwback to the base game map. Very surprised it's still making it into new expansions. But then again I shouldn't be that surprised. It's one of their favorites, I believe it made it into New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington as well.

Return to “General discussion about the game”