Missing Billboard Categories

oldmanclippy

Missing Billboard Categories

#1 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 Nov 2022 17:45

I believe that billboards that are similar to ones in real life is a big immersion boost. Wyoming brought some good billboards like the wind advisory one, the watch out for wildlife one, and the See Wy tourism ones. But with Montana and Texas we haven't gotten any similarly high quality billboards. I'd like to see that change, so I figured I'd give some examples of the types of billboards I think could be included in ATS.

Category 1: billboards that advertise to a specific location

[ external image ]

Category 2: official [insert product here] of [insert local sports team here]

[ external image ]

Category 3: billboards that aren't confined to a rectangle

[ external image ]

Category 4: billboards that advertise something off of an upcoming exit (most common with fast food and gas stations, but also with normal restaurants, car dealerships, and certain roadside attractions)

[ external image ]

Category 5: law firms, real estate agencies, and insurance agencies (these are so common that they deserve their own category) - there are some in ATS but they are base map assets so new ones should be added - these often but not always include the phrase "Se Habla Español" or "Hablamos Español" to show that they can do business with Spanish-speaking clients, even in states not near the border

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Of course there are many types of billboards out there besides these but these are the main ones I can think of that SCS is missing or needs more of, that would greatly increase immersion. I'm sure others can add some too.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Optional Features

Re: Missing Billboard Categories

#2 Post by Optional Features » 24 Nov 2022 08:48

More billboards are definitely needed. There's a spot on I-5 with a near forest of them along the highway. Spammy irl, but would be nice to see in-game.
oldmanclippy

#3 Post by oldmanclippy » 24 Nov 2022 13:49

seriousmods wrote: 24 Nov 2022 08:48 More billboards are definitely needed. There's a spot on I-5 with a near forest of them along the highway. Spammy irl, but would be nice to see in-game.
35E in Texas has a stretch like that, it'd be nice to see tweaks with regards to realism and making things feel more built up come when the rework team makes their way to the early paid DLCs.
Optional Features

#4 Post by Optional Features » 24 Nov 2022 20:07

Yeah, for sure: billboards are like the original advertising network.
KeganMinecraft

#5 Post by KeganMinecraft » 01 Dec 2022 08:03

we need digital billboards!!
oldmanclippy

#6 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Dec 2022 13:56

Yes digital billboards for sure, not sure how I forgot about those! They're everywhere in big metro areas.
angrybirdseller

#7 Post by angrybirdseller » 03 Jul 2023 02:55

More lawyers billboards be nice digital ones be nice. Arizona and New Mexico are pretty bad with lawyer billboard every intersection looks like accident waiting happen.
oldmanclippy

#8 Post by oldmanclippy » 03 Jul 2023 13:17

Yeah Jim Sackall or whatever his name is is all over the base map :lol: Could use some variety state to state since lawyers usually only practice within a small region.

A lot has changed billboard-wise recently with the introduction of the trivision/rotating billboard types, and the IRL adverts from Schneider. Right now I think the biggest problem is that billboards are often placed in the wrong context. It is absurd to have a billboard advertising the El Paso airport outside of southwest Texas, yet it's all over the place even outside of Texas. Same with Space Center Houston, I saw an ad for that in Las Vegas. Maybe Disney World would advertise in other states but not NASA. Generally there's also too many billboards for companies that would never have billboards IRL, like NAMIQ, Equos, etc. If they want to have billboards for all types of companies, then those sort of companies should just make "We're Hiring" billboards instead of advertising their mines or distribution centers.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”