New user, multi-monitor help/advice

Dave_K

New user, multi-monitor help/advice

#1 Post by Dave_K » 27 Nov 2022 09:12

Hi all
I'm a flight-simmer mainly but thought i'd have a go at ETS2 for a bit of variation in sim-life :D

I've got a triple monitor setup and use FS2020 which has multi-window render options built-in and they work pretty well.

I'm still getting ready to set up ETS2 as awaiting a wheel & pedal set to arrive, am i correct that it does not support proper multi-monitor setup and only uses the much inferior Nvidia version where all monitors are combined into one big wide-screen??

I hope i'm wrong as the changes to go from singe/wide to multiple each time i go from FS2020 to ETS2 would be a real pain in the configs ;) ;)

Any advice please??
Intel i12900K, RTX 3080ti, 32Gb, triple 32" LG Ultragear screens
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: New user, multi-monitor help/advice

#2 Post by Madkine » 27 Nov 2022 10:37

Yes these games only have multi-monitor support via outside apps that make the monitors one virtual monitor.

https://eurotrucksimulator2.com/multimon_config.php
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
VirtualTruckTravels

#3 Post by VirtualTruckTravels » 02 Dec 2022 12:37

Dave_K wrote: 27 Nov 2022 09:12 Hi all
I'm a flight-simmer mainly but thought i'd have a go at ETS2 for a bit of variation in sim-life :D

I've got a triple monitor setup and use FS2020 which has multi-window render options built-in and they work pretty well.

I'm still getting ready to set up ETS2 as awaiting a wheel & pedal set to arrive, am i correct that it does not support proper multi-monitor setup and only uses the much inferior Nvidia version where all monitors are combined into one big wide-screen??

I hope i'm wrong as the changes to go from singe/wide to multiple each time i go from FS2020 to ETS2 would be a real pain in the configs ;) ;)

Any advice please??
Unfortunately yes, there is no widescreen support, so bigger displays than 16:9 the image is stretched, i have experience for some years with a 32:9 monitor but you have emulate 3 screens on 1 (to avoid stretching) and 3 three screens is putting a huge pressure on the performance since update 1.40 and i have a very capable PC. In the end i returned to a 16:9 screen because the fiddle with graphics options and fps drops became a big hassle. It would be pretty amazing if Scs finally could implement widescreen support, for us more hardcore simmers. (And multi core support)
oldmanclippy

#4 Post by oldmanclippy » 02 Dec 2022 15:55

@VirtualTruckTravels I never had issues with stretching on 21:9, but I've been back on 16:9 for quite some time now so maybe it's changed. What part stretches?
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
VirtualTruckTravels

#5 Post by VirtualTruckTravels » 02 Dec 2022 17:24

@oldmanclippy it has been that always, you can see it on the edges there is slight stretch, image on the egde gets zoomed in, the bigger the screen the bigger the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BNftyf9HL0 @ 19:10 it is 32:9 screen you can see example of it here, and if you rewind a bit you can see it in extreme version when he has tripple screens setup as one big screen.
Dave_K

#6 Post by Dave_K » 02 Dec 2022 18:25

Thanks all, I do have it working now - i found a FOV calculator online, punched in my dimensions and entered the figures into the multimon_config file. It all looks a lot better now.

It is a very poor way of doing triple-screen though, very outdated.

I'm just about mustering 50-60FPS on my setup.
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Dec 2022 19:10

The very basic engine architecture of the game is very old. Even if they had improved lots of things all along alt hose years, there's still traces of its age everywhere.

We were hinted they are working on a new render engine about 1 year ago approx. Hopefully, it will take into account lots of improved features like a better multi-monitor support.

Regards
Dave_K

#8 Post by Dave_K » 02 Dec 2022 19:26

I would like to see a sim using Unreal Engine 5 - it would blow all other sims to bits with graphic detail and realism.
plykkegaard

#9 Post by plykkegaard » 02 Dec 2022 19:30

No it won't, sorry
You can do something nice for show but not with this type of environment in a full game

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Prince

#10 Post by Prince » 03 Dec 2022 10:13

Dave_K wrote: 02 Dec 2022 19:26 I would like to see a sim using Unreal Engine 5 - it would blow all other sims to bits with graphic detail and realism.
This has been said for years, just switch the version number.

Problem is, every small studio using the unreal engine, has no clue how to make it look as good as the Unreal PoCs. Just look at literally any Unreal-based driving game on Steam. Everything shines like a mirror and has a weird Instagram filter on it. Especially if it rains. It's just not that much glare and reflections in real life.

Return to “Help center - player to player”