Couple of Questions About Shifting and Trucking for the Real Life Truckers

Sterkr

Couple of Questions About Shifting and Trucking for the Real Life Truckers

#1 Post by Sterkr » 05 Dec 2022 16:23

Hi

I love to play ATS as realistically as possible and I like using a manual transmission. So, I have a few questions about using manual transmission, and I like to learn some details about trucking. The details which we don't know, like "always hunk your horn when you reverse". You know, the details a truck driver should know. So, please share your wisdom with me (with us) if you are a real-life trucker who uses or has experience with manual transmission.

It would be great if you indicate in your answer that you are a real truck driver. So we can know that we have received information from someone who has experience in this subject.

If you are not a truck driver and want to share your opinion, you are welcome as well :)

Note: I have a driving wheel, a stick shifter, and a button box.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I skip gears when I drive without a trailer attached to the back of the truck, i.e. bobtailing? For example, can the gears be used as 2-4-6-8? Will this damage the gearbox?

2. I'm using an Eaton Fuller 18 Speed with Eaton Fuller 18 Speed layout selected in game settings, and I use two buttons for range & split. I always use "Low" gears. For example: 1L, 2L, 3L, etc. I'm very, very rarely using "High" gears (1H, 2H, 3H...) Is it ok or am I doing it wrong?

3. At which RPM do you need to upshift and at which RPM do you need to downshift? If I'm floating gears, I wait for the RPM to reach around 2000, then I put the gear in neutral, then when the RPM drops 1500 I shift to the next gear (without using the clutch, of course). Is this ok? Can you tell me the correct rpm for float gear and/or normal gear changes?

Since most of what I mentioned is not fully transferred to the game or the game is very forgiving in these matters, I know that as long as the truck moves, there is no problem in game, but as I said, I want to drive as realistically as possible. That's why every detail you give about gear shifting, what a truck driver should pay attention to and the rules to follow is important to me and the others who drive like me.

Thank you. :)
Generic Username

Re: Couple of Questions About Shifting and Trucking for the Real Life Truckers

#2 Post by Generic Username » 07 Jan 2023 17:33

Trucker here — with an 18-speed Eaton manual.

1. Yes, you can even skip gears empty, or even loaded depending on your gross weight. I tend to shift my 18 like a 13 (I won’t split the bottom side) unless I’m over 100k gross or pulling hills. You can start in 3L on flat ground with an empty trailer.

The gearbox will be damaged far more frequently by improperly timed shifts or “grinding” than someone skipping gears. Timing is important. The game doesn’t mod this well (especially on the sequential side). If you’re using pedals and a column shifter I’m not sure if it’s any better.

Without making matters complicated — the gear you start in is very dependent on weight and your trucks rear end ratio. I have 2-speed rears (I run a heavy haul setup), and I can start a little higher than say a fleet specced tractor might be able too.

2. Not really. The splits are just there to keep your RPM in a more appropriate range for using the engines power/torque. If you don’t feel the need to split, then don’t.

3. I shift around 17-1800 rpm. And I downshift around 1350-1450rpm depending on grade or what specifically I’m doing. I might bring it out a little early and push it back in around 1900 going down if I’m utilizing the engine brake.

Much of the “when to shift” rpm debate is dependent on the engine you’re using and the transmission behind it.

Lots of trucks nowadays that are fleet specced not only have speed limiters but many have RPM limiters as well — company will spec their trucks for fuel economy before all else. Many will also coast in neutral with their automated transmissions.
55sixxx

#3 Post by 55sixxx » 07 Jan 2023 21:34

Sterkr wrote: 05 Dec 2022 16:23 Here are my questions:

1. Can I skip gears when I drive without a trailer attached to the back of the truck, i.e. bobtailing? For example, can the gears be used as 2-4-6-8? Will this damage the gearbox?

2. I'm using an Eaton Fuller 18 Speed with Eaton Fuller 18 Speed layout selected in game settings, and I use two buttons for range & split. I always use "Low" gears. For example: 1L, 2L, 3L, etc. I'm very, very rarely using "High" gears (1H, 2H, 3H...) Is it ok or am I doing it wrong?

3. At which RPM do you need to upshift and at which RPM do you need to downshift? If I'm floating gears, I wait for the RPM to reach around 2000, then I put the gear in neutral, then when the RPM drops 1500 I shift to the next gear (without using the clutch, of course). Is this ok? Can you tell me the correct rpm for float gear and/or normal gear changes?
Not a real driver but I have gathered enough experience virtually... And have been told multiple times it is easier to do this IRL than in-game.

1 - You can, specially if you're using the clutch and a synchronized transmission. BUT, since you're looking for realism and you're also floating gears, then you should put this "g_hshifter_synchronized 0" into your game console... It will not only simulate a real manual transmission but it will force you to match rpm's. If you choose to use this command, I advise against skipping gears since it will make things a lot harder than they should.

2 - No, it's not necessary to use the High gears. The only cases I use them is when I'm in an urban area and don't feel the need to shift from 6L to 7L and just switch to 6H or when I'm cruising at Interstate speed and keep in 8H for lower RPM's.

3 - For me, I usually shift at ~1600 and when it drops to ~1200 I kick in the next gear... For downshifting, I shift at ~1500, give a little bump into the gas pedal taking the rpm to ~2000 and then kick in the lower gear.
xatada

#4 Post by xatada » 11 Jan 2023 17:56

Thank you for this information, good to know.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”