Adventures in truck restoration

Ernie D

Re: Adventures in truck restoration

#71 Post by Ernie D » 09 Dec 2022 20:23

@Fawls I do have more photos and updates, just hadnt had time to upload photos due to other real world obligations, but I will update soon
Proprietor/Painter of Southland Mods
SmokeyWolf

#72 Post by SmokeyWolf » 22 Dec 2022 01:03

That is cool looking project you got going on there. You plan on replacing those old split rims with steel or aluminum wheels? @Ernie D.
Ernie D

#73 Post by Ernie D » 25 Jan 2023 21:37

@SmokeyWolf Im replacing the original split ring rims, with newer 22.5 open center rims, Im keeping the dayton hubs on my truck, also, switching the budd hubs in the rear to go back to dayton hubs. Im keeping my truck as close to original as I can, while updating it
SmokeyWolf

#74 Post by SmokeyWolf » 26 Jan 2023 22:29

That is sweet. Love period correct trucks with modern updates especially from a safety stand point.
Ernie D

#75 Post by Ernie D » 19 Mar 2023 02:49

Hey ya'll, sorry for not updating in a long time, between work and other real life obligations, I hadnt been on my pc that much. I have been working on my truck and making progress, I do have alot of photos that I need to upload and share, but for now, I do have a little short video I can share, I just fabbed up all my exhaust and I wanted to hear the results, and test the fuel system that I plumbed before I done the exhaust. Hope yall enjoy, I promise I will get the photos uploaded soon 8-)
Fawls

#76 Post by Fawls » 20 Mar 2023 02:07

It's alive!
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES
They'll take your payment immediately and not fulfill order.

Comp Specs: R7 5700X, 6900XT, 32GB Ram.
Ernie D

#77 Post by Ernie D » 10 Apr 2023 02:15

Hello again, well.... I finally had a chance to finish uploading photos,..... ;) :) :lol: . I didnt realize how long its been and how many photos I had taken since the last actual update :? :o , just to give a heads up in advance, there will be multiple updates due to the amount of time lapse and amount of photos.
Well..... here we go on the first update 8-)
Since the last photo update featured the frame splice, Im gonna continue from there lol, for which I continued with further frame strengthening by replacing the very rear crossmember for one I built myself, the original one was kinked and bent from either the previous owner, or from the place I purchased the half cut from. Here are the photos of how it came to form. Hope yall enjoy, again, more to come very very soon 8-)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Ernie D

#78 Post by Ernie D » 13 Apr 2023 02:01

Hello again, with another update on my project 8-) , going back through all my photos, some of it, I had to remember, that I actually did that already :lol: well, here we go with the next set of photos. This time, I was working on the clutch release for the main transmission, I had to fab the bracket that held the slave cylinder that operates the clutch.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Another thing I did during this time was set the auxiliary transmission into the frame in the area that it would soon occupy

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

After that, I began fabbing the mounting for the oil cooler for the transmission, then mounting it in its new home in the frame

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Also, this was the period, I was finishing up the stuff with the power steering too, fabbing a bracket for the reservoir, which, we will be dealing with the reservoir again, because this became a issue, I had to address. I will show the revised reservoir in a later post, but for now, here's the first attempt at the steering reservoir ;)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Hope yall enjoy 8-) stay tuned for more
Fawls

#79 Post by Fawls » 13 Apr 2023 21:07

Thanks for the updates, so much work...
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES
They'll take your payment immediately and not fulfill order.

Comp Specs: R7 5700X, 6900XT, 32GB Ram.
Ernie D

#80 Post by Ernie D » 14 Apr 2023 00:44

Well..... since 1.47 dropped for both ATS and ETS2, Im sorta in a holding pattern to run either till promods releases updates for both, I might as well continue my updates of my project here, for yalls enjoyment :lol: . Well, as I shared in the previous post, I placed the auxiliary transmission in the frame, in prep for building the mounts for it. Before starting on the mounts, I decided to hang my air tanks and dryer to start the process of building the air system, which I mounted my "wet" tank, then realized that I needed to relocate it, due to being in the way of one of my aux transmission mounts. Sometimes it takes a refit or two to make things right, or how I think it should be. 8-)

Where I originally mounted my "wet" tank, which it looked ok in its position, but the aux trans had other things in mind lol
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Where I mounted my air dryer right behind the driver side fuel tank
[ external image ]

Now for the process of lining up and fabbing the brackets for the auxiliary transmission, which lining up was the critical job, to make sure the driveline is lined up to keep the chances of driveline vibration to a minimum

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

New location for the "wet" tank

[ external image ]