Potential new user

Savage212

Potential new user

#1 Post by Savage212 » 28 Jan 2023 23:05

So, I'm looking at getting the trucking sim, and I have questions, and I'm fine with people just telling me where to look for the answers that I need.

How much computer do I need to run the sim and enjoy it?

What accessories do I need? Such as steering wheel, pedals, etc.

I want to run "old school" and "hard core" trucks, like I drove 30-35 or so years ago. For example, I'd like to "build" and run a 266" wheelbase Peterbilt 359 with a juiced 8V-92TA engine, 6-4 Spicer transmissions, and 3.55:1 differentials.

What mods are suggested to make the sim fun and enjoyable?

I'd greatly appreciate answers, or even just links to where to find the answers to my questions.

I just want to build a truck or two, or maybe more, and get out and drive, to see how I can do.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: Potential new user

#2 Post by Mohegan13 » 28 Jan 2023 23:21

ETS2 is 10 year old so as you can probably guess it's not designs for recent builds in mind and ATS uses the same engine, so chances are you'll be above recommended spec if you have anything newer than 10yr old. However full spec can of course be found on the Steam store pages.

Steam also has a demo available so you can make sure it does run smoothly for you.

Mouse & keyboard is all you need. But using a controller or wheel adds more immersion.

Yes you can get free mods to add older trucks, however you may want to read the rules as discussion of paid mods is banned here.

As for suggested mods; that really comes down to your personal preferences. If you can think of it, someone has probably done it.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Savage212

#3 Post by Savage212 » 28 Jan 2023 23:39

Thank you very much for the reply. I did read the rules of discussion, if I inadvertently crossed a line, I do apologize.

My main computer is one I built about 12-13 years ago. It was pretty high end at that time, I'm sure not so much now.

I'd be willing to add the steering wheel and pedals, after all, I bought a joystick, etc, for a flight sim or two.

I'll check out the Steam demo. I probably need to "juice" my old computer anyway.

I'll take a look at the mods section. I've seen some stuff (where I discovered the sim) that looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the reply and the tips. I do appreciate the information.
nautofon

#4 Post by nautofon » 29 Jan 2023 09:49

About the demo: It contains the game's base map, which is the earliest work they did on ATS, back in 2016 or so. Their skills have much improved since then in terms of scenery detail, road layout, road signs and so on. This means that you should plan on getting at least some of the newer states as DLC, for quality.

SCS is currently working on a total rebuild of the base map to modern standards. They started in northern California and are slowly moving their way southeast. I hope (but don't know for sure!) that this rebuild has also been added to the demo. When you play the demo, you should see a very abrupt change of quality just south of Sacramento, and also near the California/Nevada state line. Everything to the south and east is very old content that is expected to be replaced. On the other hand, northern California is more or less on par with the newest DLC, so that should give you an impression of what you'll be getting for your money when you buy states as DLC.

I think the demo might even allow some mods to be installed, so if you want e.g. a specific vehicle that's only available as mod, you could perhaps test that before buying the game, too.

The next phase of the base map rework is eagerly expected. It might reach public beta as soon as during the next few weeks or months and will likely center on the San Francisco Bay area, including Oakland and San Jose.
VTXcnME

#5 Post by VTXcnME » 29 Jan 2023 11:44

Savage212 wrote: 28 Jan 2023 23:05How much computer do I need to run the sim and enjoy it?
10 year old game, you say you built a machine 12 years ago that was considered high end. If that's the case, I suspect ATS/ETS2 will run okay on your machine. Honestly, anything newer in the last decade will probably run it on higher settings, if you are in the market to replace. If you plan on running mods (particularly graphics mods/weather mods) I would look into upgrading your current machine, or at the 12 year mark, consider replacing it with a new machine that'll take you another decade. Newegg has a decent parts picker/builder interface that helps you select compatible hardware/motherboards, Power supply, etc.
Savage212 wrote: 28 Jan 2023 23:05What accessories do I need? Such as steering wheel, pedals, etc.
You need a keyboard and mouse, but if you've ever tried to play a driving game with a keyboard you'll understand you should have more than that. I've been using a Logitech G29 wheel/pedal set up with the shifter. I bought a shifter add-on from amazon with range/split on it so I could simulate the 18spd Eaton Fuller transmission. It does a reasonably decent job of replicating the experience. At a bare minimum I'd suggest a wheel and pedals.
Savage212 wrote: 28 Jan 2023 23:05I want to run "old school" and "hard core" trucks, like I drove 30-35 or so years ago. For example, I'd like to "build" and run a 266" wheelbase Peterbilt 359 with a juiced 8V-92TA engine, 6-4 Spicer transmissions, and 3.55:1 differentials.

The Steam workshop has a mess of mods, economy, trucks, skins, cargos, etc. I've even found engine packs and transmission packs there. I suspect you could find the combo you are looking for, with a bit of searching. If not exact, probably something very close.

There are paid mods that address weather and older trucks. But as indicated above, links and whatnot can't go here. So that'll have to be research you do on your own. Just google what you're looking for with American Truck Simulator added to the end of the string and you should find a wealth of different options.

I'd start with Steam Workshop and see what's available for mods there first.
Savage212

#6 Post by Savage212 » 01 Feb 2023 03:18

Thanks for all of the helpful responses, they're much appreciated. I have to get either wifi or LAN working where my desktop is, so I've got stuff ordered for that. And a newer OS to go dual boot on the older computer. It's got tons of CPU and high speed RAM, the only thing it might be short on is GPU. It's also got a monster RAID array.

So I have been looking around, I found steering wheels, pedals, shifters, etc., some stuff even specific for this sim. Not cheap, but affordable. I do feel like I need a steering wheel, a pedal set, and a shifter.

I actually found a 359 on these boards (Outlaw's). Saw others mention elsewhere, didn't see them, figure they might be pay ware that can't be mentioned here, so I won't even hint at names. Also found the Spicer transmissions here (PikPikker's). Found the Steam workshop. Haven't signed up there, yet. Even found some Detroit Diesel 8V-92 stuff.

All in all, it looks pretty good so far. I'm looking forward to getting into this, and I surely appreciate the helpful replies.
Sara

#7 Post by Sara » 01 Feb 2023 16:20

Savage212 wrote: 28 Jan 2023 23:05 So, I'm looking at getting the trucking sim, and I have questions, and I'm fine with people just telling me where to look for the answers that I need.
Here, let me answer these questions for you.
How much computer do I need to run the sim and enjoy it?
Honestly, you don't need a really beefy computer. On the Steam Store Page, it will tell you the minumum, and recommended requirements, but you don't need a powerful computer to actually run it to enjoy it.
What accessories do I need? Such as steering wheel, pedals, etc.
None. You don't need a steering wheel or pedals, or a game controller. You can run it using a Keyboard and mouse. Using accessories such as a Steering Wheel or a game controller aren't a requirement.
I want to run "old school" and "hard core" trucks, like I drove 30-35 or so years ago. For example, I'd like to "build" and run a 266" wheelbase Peterbilt 359 with a juiced 8V-92TA engine, 6-4 Spicer transmissions, and 3.55:1 differentials.
There is mods out there to go for what you're looking for. And mods are quite easy to install.
This I can't answer, and honestly, I think nobody can really answer because it is all subjective to what you would find fun and enjoyable compared to someone else.
Izmaragon

#8 Post by Izmaragon » 11 Feb 2023 18:38

When I first got the older game of the truck sims, I was on an i6600 Iirc... Started ATS on that computer too, ran fine... That was on a 2008 computer, and worked decently. So computer for you should not be an issue, but I will caution that a few of the map expansions have an impressive amount of trees and vegetation that can slow frame rates in those forested areas..

But most of the expanded maps, if you get most of them at least, the gameplay should not be a problem... I'm playing with a 7 yr old computer myself...

As Sara said, fun and enjoyable are completely subjective to your own tastes. But I do offer some suggestions...

All of these are available through the Steam workshop, type the name into the search box and it should turn up...

"Icons" by Dastrobel. This mod makes the interaction squares less intrusive into the general enviroment.

"Mack R" truck mod by Harven and friends. Good, available alongside a decent number of other truck mods on Steam. One of the late 70s or early 80s trucks that you might be seeking.

"9800i" cab over truck by Lucasi, Harven and Oddfellow. Very reliable cab over mod, not too many extras, but enough that I am happy to recommend it.

"K100 E" cab over truck mod by overfloater. Extensive customization options, another 70s to 80s era type you may like.

There are other mods, like various sound adjustment ones for engines that are highly advisable to get; those can be found, from my experience, in the sounds section of the mods subsection of this forum section.

On the subject of controllers, I've always used mouse/keyboard... Mouse steering might take a bit to get used to, but for me, its the most precise steering mechanism, even a wheel [which takes up space and time if set up and take down is needed].

Welcome to the game and hope you're having fun with it..
My WoT

Show trucks are working trucks, they simply do the same job in a slightly more noticeable and stylish fashion.

Return to “General discussion about the game”