Kansas Discussion Thread

Trakaplex

Re: Kansas Discussion Thread

#341 Post by Trakaplex » 29 Jan 2023 00:07

I actually missed this, but I knew this was coming. I guess Kansas will be 2023 by Fall. Joplin should make Missouri for sure, since it's at the I-44/I-49 crossover.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Josh Bostock

#342 Post by Josh Bostock » 29 Jan 2023 00:15

Janaff wrote: 28 Jan 2023 17:03 It makes sense that Kansas will come with new scenery assets related to agriculture if that's what they choose to focus on.

With this DLC, I'm perhaps most curious about what Kansas City will look like. We've had Portland/Vancouver and multiple Texas border cities, but Kansas City will be the first city in the game that is split between two states without a clear geographical barrier between them, as well as the first time we arguably get the smaller half first.
My assumption would be that SCS will map the Missouri section of I-70 to the I-35 junction and that will lead south back into Kansas in a similar fashion to how I-30 and I-45 meet in Dallas currently. I doubt any of the auxillary interstates around Kansas City will exist such as I-670 and I-435 will exist and it's unlikely that the downtown area will be accessible so there will be no way off any interstate in Missouri. I just hope they don't end I-70 and I-35 in Kansas and link them with a minor road. I wouldn't be surprised if they model I-670 but call it I-70.
halbtollekreatur

#343 Post by halbtollekreatur » 29 Jan 2023 00:21

Shiva wrote: 28 Jan 2023 23:56 halbtollekreatur, the grain silos? sun doesn't match that location at all.
I checked all the weight stations. That was the only one that's fits somehow.
Trakaplex

#344 Post by Trakaplex » 29 Jan 2023 00:25

Josh Bostock wrote: 29 Jan 2023 00:15
Janaff wrote: 28 Jan 2023 17:03 It makes sense that Kansas will come with new scenery assets related to agriculture if that's what they choose to focus on.

With this DLC, I'm perhaps most curious about what Kansas City will look like. We've had Portland/Vancouver and multiple Texas border cities, but Kansas City will be the first city in the game that is split between two states without a clear geographical barrier between them, as well as the first time we arguably get the smaller half first.
My assumption would be that SCS will map the Missouri section of I-70 to the I-35 junction and that will lead south back into Kansas in a similar fashion to how I-30 and I-45 meet in Dallas currently. I doubt any of the auxillary interstates around Kansas City will exist such as I-670 and I-435 will exist and it's unlikely that the downtown area will be accessible so there will be no way off any interstate in Missouri. I just hope they don't end I-70 and I-35 in Kansas and link them with a minor road. I wouldn't be surprised if they model I-670 but call it I-70.
I think they will do the left side of Kansas City that's in Kansas. I think we'd get Overland Park as scenic and maybe Leawood and that's it and I-435 will be the eastern terminus of I-70 in the game until Missouri DLC comes. The skyline will be a backdrop until then. Seeing how Simon deals with Texarkana can signify Patrik's mapping of Kansas City as well.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
flight50

#345 Post by flight50 » 29 Jan 2023 00:52

Trakaplex wrote: 29 Jan 2023 00:25. Seeing how Simon deals with Texarkana can signify Patrik's mapping of Kansas City as well.
Yeah this is what I'd go with as well. Just like the mega Texas cities should set the tone for the top 10 largest US cities (which includes the rebuilds), it's possible Texarkana sets the tone for bordering cities that belong to more than one state.

Cities in Kansas won't be large at all. Should be on par with Montana cities imo. They where perfectly sized for a GP state. Texas mid sized cities works for Topeka and Wichita but the rest are more like Montana cites. Montana cities are a lil more proportionate than Wyoming.

I'm putting Kansas on the Sept/October boat for release. The terrain is easier and even better, the Kansas team is 2-3 more years experience coming off Texas. A state that has a bit of everything. No more deserts in the US so it's all green and hopefully good road density here on out.
Janaff

#346 Post by Janaff » 29 Jan 2023 02:06

Looking at Kansas City now, I think it will be fairly easy to model just the Kansas part of Kansas City. As long as Fairfax and Santa Fe you're basically already most of the way there.

The fun part is likely the Central Industrial District. It's a large industrial park that happens to be split in half between Kansas and Missouri. It'd be fun to get just a tiny part of Missouri early.
flight50

#347 Post by flight50 » 29 Jan 2023 02:40

Whatever industry we get for KC in general, won't be in the inner city anyways. No big city brings industry to the inner city parts anyways. Its easier to divide things up when industry is outside cities spread out. Iike how they did it in Texas. Makes the cities feel larger.
Xaagon

#348 Post by Xaagon » 29 Jan 2023 02:50

flight50 wrote: 29 Jan 2023 02:40 No big city brings industry to the inner city parts anyways.
Not necessarily true. If you follow Janaff's link to the Central Industrial District and zoom in you'll see plenty of trailers and some trucks. I think as we get farther east there's more of this. I remember watching a few YouTube videos of truckers trying to get trailers into really tight spots in Chicago and New Jersey.

Whether or not these types of places make it into ATS is another thing though. Might be an interesting challenge to have depots that can only take 20' trailers & daycabs.
flight50

#349 Post by flight50 » 29 Jan 2023 04:48

@Xaagon I am talking about in ATS currently, not real life. In real life there are tons of deliverable locations in inner cities. That's why I mention what we get in KC. You only quoted part of my comment and not what all pretained to the subject. I thought it was obvious I wasn't referring to real life.
Xaagon

#350 Post by Xaagon » 29 Jan 2023 05:13

I was quoting the part that I was commenting on - sorry for misunderstanding. I agree that so far ATS hasn't put much inner city depots in place, though you could argue that they came close with the rail yard and bottling plant in Denver - while not exactly downtown, those are fairly close to city center. I suspect Seattle is similar, but I'm not as familiar with that city in real life.

As we get farther east I would love to see more depots closer to dense urban cores. If not Kansas City, Saint Louis would be a great place for this. With the rework of California, I suspect we're going to have something in San Francisco as well - it's too compact to get too far away from downtown there.

Return to “General discussion about the game”