Retouching France

guilhem1

Re: Retouching France

#11 Post by guilhem1 » 01 Feb 2023 16:18

the entire northeast part deserves a refresh
that is to say the part that does not belong to the dlc vlf except lyon paris and lille
the most horrible part is between dijon strasbourg and metz with aberrant bends
frnce.png
Aziz

#12 Post by Aziz » 01 Feb 2023 17:50

Why would you exclude Lille from rework? Look at it
[ external image ]
sw3gameboy

#13 Post by sw3gameboy » 01 Feb 2023 22:09

I think Guilhem1 is focusing on the road network outside of cities only, not the cities themselves.
A properly reworked Lille would be nice too but in terms of the highways "outside" the city, Lille is actually pretty good, and there exists way worse parts of France in that regard. Similarly, in my honest opinion, Paris as a whole remains pretty decent - the only thing that I'd argue needs to be changed is the implementation of a proper A1 with a corresponding interchange, and a continuous A13. Perhaps the country road currently featured in the A1's place could be removed as well, but eh.
tomprice98

#14 Post by tomprice98 » 01 Feb 2023 23:19

I also think the 2 northernmost France-Italy border roads could do with a touch up, moreso for scenery to better match Austria and upcoming Switzerland than a full delete and start from scratch job
SenseFM

#15 Post by SenseFM » 06 Feb 2023 21:53

I'm in the opinion that base map France should also need an eventual rework. It shouldn't be as prioritized as the Benelux, the UK and other old areas, but outside of the reskinned cities, the roads and textures in the area are pretty old and probably aren't very realistic.

There's for example the lack of A1, one of the most important French motorways; the game has just a minor road in its place. In fact, most of the minor roads of base map France are just like Germany's, a bit barren, sometimes in place of other IRL highways, and featuring no scenery towns. The only exceptions are the roads that connect A6 and A31, which are newer and were added along with Vive la France's DLC release, if I recall correctly. The very old looking Channel Tunnel station has also been commented before.

And finally, another thing that bothers me a bit is the lack of a highway connection between France and Germany. It's really strange that in the game the two main EU economies are only connected by minor roads, although this is more caused by a lack of A5 south of Karlsruhe in Germany.
Some newbie driver

#16 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Feb 2023 16:09

The country roads in France, even if they aren't real and lack the more modern stile of design, are pretty good. I can say I really felt I was driving on a pretty realistic France when DLC was launched (although probably a local would easilly find all the lacks and cons). I've gone several times to the countryside of France and the DLC gave me really good vibes despite the obvious limitations.

Anything could be improved, but there's tons of other worse things to improve in the game before VLF. So, I wouldn't even bother to consider that option, it's a too looooong term possibility. Anything we could discuss here could probably have little sense when we see the game progress in the future years.

Regards

Return to “General discussion about the game”