Farming Simulator

David Paterson

Farming Simulator

#1 Post by David Paterson » 06 Feb 2023 10:20

I'm hearing that the trucking side of Farm sim is quite good, but which farm sim to buy? There are so many to choose from.

I'm running a Toshiba laptop that was previously used for work and is NOT a gaming computer, therefore I need to find a farming sim that will run happily on my computer; specs are below.

Processor Intel Core M-5Y51 CPU @ 1.10 GHz 1.30 GHz

Installed RAM 8.00 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1

I'm running ETS 2 & ATS with near minimum graphics settings and I'm getting an FPS that's just barely in double figures.

Which version of farming sim is comparable with ATS & ETS 2, in terms of computer requirements?
scaniac

Re: Farming Simulator

#2 Post by scaniac » 06 Feb 2023 16:46

to be honest with you, Giants are implementing trucks in their games, but, listen to me, it's nothing like ets2/ats, to be honest with you, it's based on agriculture, and that part they did very well, but trucking in farming sim is not realistic by any mean, for example, in FS22 you can load timber to the trucks, but that timber, altough it's strapped to the trailer, moves, there is no any physics for trucks, for example, in ets2/ats you can actually feel weight of the cargo, in FS you don't feel it at all
my Flickr, feel free to take a look: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142817695 ... 929025334/
my pc:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 3.4 GHZ
GPU: N-vidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
8 GB ram memory
Optional Features

#3 Post by Optional Features » 07 Feb 2023 05:06

David Paterson wrote: 06 Feb 2023 10:20 I'm hearing that the trucking side of Farm sim is quite good, but which farm sim to buy? There are so many to choose from.

I'm running a Toshiba laptop that was previously used for work and is NOT a gaming computer, therefore I need to find a farming sim that will run happily on my computer; specs are below.

Processor Intel Core M-5Y51 CPU @ 1.10 GHz 1.30 GHz

Installed RAM 8.00 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1

I'm running ETS 2 & ATS with near minimum graphics settings and I'm getting an FPS that's just barely in double figures.

Which version of farming sim is comparable with ATS & ETS 2, in terms of computer requirements?
I would get either 19 or 22. 19 if you want to save some money. 22 if you want the latest and greatest mods.

I would lean towards 22 because several brands found in ATS and ETS2 are now officially part of the game.

Be warned, FS isn't a trucksim. The driving physics are not comparable to any driving game (although in a few areas it has slight advantages over scs); the maps are not that big either; and the graphics are decent only from time to time. But you can use your imagination (and mods) to fill in pretty much any gap.

With 22, you can use default and modded productions to make physical products. So you can cut down a tree, take it to a sawmill, cut it into boards, load the boards with a forklift on your flatbed, and haul those to a lumber sell point. You can build your own yards. You can combine as many trailers as you want. You can stack trailers or haul a truck with your trailers (or a machine). The possibilities are just about endless.

And with a big enough map, productions, and a few decent truck mods, you could run a believable short haul company and have a ton of fun.

I don't think we have an official thread for FS, so maybe we can turn this into one?

Oh, another perk of 22: terrafarm. It's a free mod that allows a player to dig anywhere with equipment.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

A few more pics (converted scs lowboy with full animations) and the default Krone curtainside.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Also, default Lode King stepdeck:

[ external image ]

I have since upgraded my pc, but this many functional trailers and trucks greatly lowered my fps lol.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Last edited by Optional Features on 07 Feb 2023 05:23, edited 2 times in total.
JeeF

#4 Post by JeeF » 07 Feb 2023 05:20

scaniac wrote: 06 Feb 2023 16:46 in ets2/ats you can actually feel weight of the cargo, in FS you don't feel it at all
Scoff
I think you got it the other way around mate.
As the trailer fills up with grain, you can get out of the truck and walk towards the rear end of the trailer and watch the suspension work, the chassis lower, the tires squat.
What was before super easy to pull as an empty trailer, becomes quite a challenge after full, and even more if your trailer happens to be on grass or mud, and you can see the wheels sinking into the mud.
And if you link several trailers together and they are loaded up, you can get your truck to pull a wheelie while failing to move them at all, tires squealing and all.
None of this is available on ATS, even with mods.

Now, I'm not saying FS's truck simulation is great, or even good. Personally most of the time I don't even bother using a steering wheel to drive in FS.
But it's more functional and more fun. Opening tarps, loading full cargo myself manually, or half cargo, or linking 20 trailers together like an idiot. Choices. Many choices. And that is fun.
Last edited by JeeF on 07 Feb 2023 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Optional Features

#5 Post by Optional Features » 07 Feb 2023 05:32

I can't speak for every combo, but I definitely feel the weight with this setup. This little old KW is struggling with two trailers, and I'm not sure how it would handle three (I should try).

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

One other thing I want to point out about FS is that despite its flaws (which it has plenty), it is pretty much limited by the player's computer and imagination compared to ATS which is greatly limited by its code.

For example, draw distance. In ATS, the game is limited to what? 2000 meters? 4000 for a far object? In FS, if you have a super computer, you could see a tree from across the map if you wanted to.

This is corn at like 600% view distance after I upgraded.

[ external image ]
David Paterson

#6 Post by David Paterson » 07 Feb 2023 06:09

One thing I like about ETS 2 & ATS is the ability to try before you buy. I cant find that facility in any FS or TWA or OTR.

I don't want to fork over my hard earned and then decide that I don't like the game, or worse, discover that my basic laptop won't run something I just paid for!
Optional Features

#7 Post by Optional Features » 07 Feb 2023 06:11

David Paterson wrote: 07 Feb 2023 06:09 One thing I like about ETS 2 & ATS is the ability to try before you buy. I cant find that facility in any FS or TWA or OTR.

I don't want to fork over my hard earned and then decide that I don't like the game, or worse, discover that my basic laptop won't run something I just paid for!
Yes, I miss the demo versions as well. The last one was FS15.

But I think Steam will give you a full refund under a certain number of play hours.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... -A4A1-C825

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”