Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

angrybirdseller

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#571 Post by angrybirdseller » 07 Feb 2023 14:18

8-) Some here, have unrealistic expectations scs does upgrade incrementally and add features overtime. This farm simulator comparison is nauseating because they are two different products aimed at two different players with some overlap. ATS and ETS2 are for Over the Road Trucking not local deliveries so much. They won't have problems with east coast because they cut out areas wont work with the scale, and New York City most times its local drivers messing around those streets for good reason. The expectations over time are far higher than when ETS2 and ATS started out think some players overlook this part. There are some of us remember early ETS2 maps and the AI they were worse than the current AI.

@AlexxxF1 - whether someone likes it or not, DLС maps bring the main income to the SCS. and then the question is whether this income is enough to hire an extra person who could be engaged in the implementation of a particular function.--He is 100% right they need sales from maps and other content to add game functions. The game ATS and ETS2 has sold couple million copies and will get new functions and features overtime once the engine multi-threaded and switch to DX12 is completed will happen this year I hope.
matt1982

#572 Post by matt1982 » 07 Feb 2023 14:19

I've got around 1200 hours in ats and 1600 in ets 2 it's just become so boring the games are missing too many features I can barely play for 15 mins at a time they have a pig pretty map that you can't do nothing with I'd have preferred a map like gta or 1 big city with surronding areas on 1.1 scale what feels lived in and immersive and just do local trucking
VTXcnME

#573 Post by VTXcnME » 07 Feb 2023 14:30

So, to speak to the game engine update... I don't ignore it, but I certainly take "SCS is working on it" with a giant grain of salt. SCS won't release anything they feel is half done... and because of that projects tend to drag along for years. So while I'm certain SCS has a game engine update in the works, who knows how long it'll take to implement and how effective will it be in making noticeable gains in performance (FPS, lag around major cities, draw distances, etc)? Will the update improve AI performance at traffic lights/merging/driving? Will the engine update allow dirt to accumulate on the truck? Seasonal weather? Geographically appropriate weather?

How long will the engine update take? 2 more years? This year? 4 years?

SCS historically does not move at anything faster than a glacial pace. It is what it is, but I know I don't necessarily 'ignore' the game engine, just until it legitimately exists as a game function... it's hyperbole to talk about it. It could be a goodly amount of time before we see any meaningful update to the engine pushed out. I'm certain they are working on it, but that doesn't translate to any kind of timely release. Until there's something more concrete releaseed from SCS with any kind of data or hints about the update.... eeeh. It doesn't really exist, right??
Quark

#574 Post by Quark » 07 Feb 2023 14:44

max_cornwell wrote: 07 Feb 2023 06:48 because there are no alternatives
So you want to tell me that it makes any sense when someone wastes literally (6200/24=258) hundreds of DAYS of his life with playing a game he didn't never really enjoy, just because there aren't any alternatives? My god, you have to really imagine that. Cannot do without trucks at all. Forced to play ATS, in a dark bunker, by himself. Most of his life. Just because no one else manages to put a trucking game together that fulfill the wet dreams of some hardcore simmers. BTW, why is that so?
Must have its reasons why haven't seen a real alternative in all these years since ATS/ETS2 exists and we won't see any for the foreseeable future either. So the only reasonable alternative to stop torturing yourself is indeed, just stop playing lol.

IMO, Howey did it right. He was consistent within himself and had stopped playing ATS altogether because he was fed up and is now even actively trying to support a direct competitor with being beta tester of On The Road. It gained a small but decent player base on Consoles where SCS is still absent, and the game is NOT dead despite one year of radio silence. It has some good points and ideas that are missing in ATS/ETS2 but i VERY much doubt it will ever become such a complete package like SCS' flagships do in comparison, let alone in terms of popularity. The team is just way too small. No modding support ever, no multiplayer ever, no countries other than Germany ever, already confirmed. Game is still very buggy as well, and if you think AI in SCS' games is bad you should try On The Road then. Latter things are in the process of being improved at least. Nevertheless, the game is almost 6 years old and still too unpolished for its age. And its future is doubtful.
Optional Features

#575 Post by Optional Features » 07 Feb 2023 15:26

Trakaplex wrote: 07 Feb 2023 07:25 @seriousmods I'm not surprised actually that more people played Montana than Texas. I knew based on how much many knew Texas, the compression would really show, and would be a letdown. There were too many complaints revolving around a poorly designed DFW. Like Dallas and Fort Worth were too close so they screwed with the scaling and only added Arlington in the form of roller coasters behind a wall. Reforma could have done DFW 6x better lol. The more SCS gets to the East Coast, the more we would see this screwing with current scaling. Think of Boston-Worchester or Wilmington-Philly for example. Or Durham-Raleigh east of a very compressed Winston-Salem/Greensboro. The aesthetics of the ATS maps will just decline in general, no matter what walls they implement of whatever. The cities would feel more like unreal backdrops. We probably won't even get a good New York skyline. Forget maps.
Yeah, I think I started to notice scale with Wyoming. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I expected a length drive across I-80, the most wide open stretch of interstate highway in North America.

After like 25 minutes, I was crossing into Utah, and it just didn't feel right. Way too many cities, a very limited rural feeling, and way too small.

Texas obviously is larger, but by now, I know what to expect. Drive past the city (regardless of how large or detailed) and deliver to the facility just outside that's completely devoid of life. SCS has built the quietest airports and ports in the world, not counting their abandoned highways.

If they make it to the East Coast (I have my doubts), I agree it'll be disappointing. They're going to focus on photo trophies and viewpoints while we're wondering why New York City is either the size of a small town or half the state.
Trakaplex

#576 Post by Trakaplex » 07 Feb 2023 15:48

angrybirdseller wrote: 07 Feb 2023 14:18 8-) Some here, have unrealistic expectations scs does upgrade incrementally and add features overtime. This farm simulator comparison is nauseating because they are two different products aimed at two different players with some overlap. ATS and ETS2 are for Over the Road Trucking not local deliveries so much. They won't have problems with east coast because they cut out areas wont work with the scale, and New York City most times its local drivers messing around those streets for good reason. The expectations over time are far higher than when ETS2 and ATS started out think some players overlook this part. There are some of us remember early ETS2 maps and the AI they were worse than the current AI.

@AlexxxF1 - whether someone likes it or not, DLС maps bring the main income to the SCS. and then the question is whether this income is enough to hire an extra person who could be engaged in the implementation of a particular function.--He is 100% right they need sales from maps and other content to add game functions. The game ATS and ETS2 has sold couple million copies and will get new functions and features overtime once the engine multi-threaded and switch to DX12 is completed will happen this year I hope.
Well, Farming Simulator has trailers, which shares a commonality with ATS/ETS2. And the attachment/detachment with the vehicle is more realistic. I mean SCS could have done better. ATS/ETS2 needs more of that instead of plain old driving. Do you seriously think for a medium sized city to be missed from the map? That might disrupt local realism and culture. Temple and Bryan/College Station was bad omission from Texas DLC (with Temple being a space factor, which I will explain). Both cities play important roles in their local economies. Imagine Newark NJ deleted because it's too close to NYC or Stamford missing since it's too close to Bridgeport or New Haven. Dallas to San Antonio is a four hour drive and they scrapped a lot of places along I-35, that's the same distance and time from DC to NYC. Only there are many more cities. The thing we would get is a hyper-unrealistic map with lots of omissions.

In general, maps would gradually be more disappointing until they're unrecognizable and incompatable with their real locations especially with the cut-and-paste assets. I won't be surprised if they used some lighting by then from the old base map.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Optional Features

#577 Post by Optional Features » 07 Feb 2023 16:07

The Farming Sim comparison is honestly the best we have available. Two small European developers who started out in obscurity and have become increasingly well known and well played.

Farming Sim 22 and ETS2 have similarly sized playerbases, while Farming Sim 19 and ATS at times trade places on the steamcharts leaderboard.

GIANTS and SCS retain similarly sized workforces. They have similarly global audiences of players (and mods representing those countries and styles of play), and they both have in-house designed engines that are updated over time to included improvements.

Many FS players play an SCS product and vice versa, and at one point, most of the American trucks for FS were exports from SCS games. Vice versa, many of the agricultural loads (and some of the heavy equipment) in ATS and ETS2 comes from FS. Some of the most popular cargo mods on the workshop are FS exports.

Finally, both games share an increasingly overlapping group of brands. Volvo, Mack, MAN, Krone, LodeKing, etc.

So with this backdrop in mind, one game has rigid frames, opening doors and tarps, animated 18 speed shifters, passenger mode, classic trucks, the ability to sleep in a sleeper tractor, separable lowboys, cargo straps, manually attached hoses and trailers, unlimited attacher joints, particle unload animations, multiple driveable/attachable vehicles and trailers at a time, tire pressure, and a moon (some of these are free mods) while the other does not. In fact, the one probably has more working, free truck mods available for it than the other, and the quality increases by the day.

I think it's a fair and valid comparison.

All of this stuff is on the official Modhub:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Last edited by Optional Features on 07 Feb 2023 16:15, edited 3 times in total.
JeeF

#578 Post by JeeF » 07 Feb 2023 16:10

The comments here says it all.
https://blog.scssoft.com/2023/02/sweet- ... t.html?m=1
Who knows, maybe SCS is trying to kill the remaining adult hardcore simulation addicts and keep only the casual children, to which they can finally cater to with more toys and paintjobs in peace.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Trakaplex

#579 Post by Trakaplex » 07 Feb 2023 16:55

JeeF wrote: 07 Feb 2023 16:10 The comments here says it all.
https://blog.scssoft.com/2023/02/sweet- ... t.html?m=1
Who knows, maybe SCS is trying to kill the remaining adult hardcore simulation addicts and keep only the casual children, to which they can finally cater to with more toys and paintjobs in peace.
Yeah, I heard that AP101 is only 17 years old lmao. I am young as well but I am sick of these people constantly glorifying everything SCS does. It's all a bright packaging for the same old things as seriousmods was saying. Another paint job? Whaaaat. The only people who would do this kind of thing are immature fanboys. The post looks like it's targeted to a young audience. The kind who always act like it is a sin to demean SCS. I played a game when I was much younger called "Ultimate Driving" that went down the same hellhole SCS is seeming to go.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Optional Features

#580 Post by Optional Features » 07 Feb 2023 17:04

The effort put into these event skins should be redirected to a paid skin pack called Stripes, Stickers, and Lettering. This pack should be say $5 to $10 and allow players to customize the look of their vehicle with assorted stripes plus add lettering for company names, dot numbers, and whatnot.

Return to “General discussion about the game”