Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

Optional Features

Re: Are you satisfied with the direction in which the game is developing

#991 Post by Optional Features » 18 Mar 2023 16:59

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 18 Mar 2023 16:42 BTW, how much cost such a 4D motion simulator? I honestly have no idea...
Probably at least 10k, but maybe up to 40k. Definitely a lot less than some cargo models off a 3d model website.

Here's what one modder is doing for a trailer he works on: 3D models of every load, in many cases different depending on what is hauled. How much would you pay for a default SCS box trailer that was hauling something, let alone something different every time? Another $50?

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Optional Features

#992 Post by Optional Features » 18 Mar 2023 17:07

LincolnCFCruz wrote: 18 Mar 2023 13:40 @Optional Features showed a great example of what I am talking about. I like a lot driving heavy hauls in ATS, but the features needed to do it correctly are non existencial, I can drive a lowboy anywhere I want, I can put any weight I want and nothing will change... The entire gameplay loop of heavy haul doesn't exist! It was supposed to be one of the hardest things to do in game, but it is easy as a driving regular cargo (flatbed or box/reefer)
SCS has simplified all trailers into the game into one concept of "trailer". There is nothing to it.

Here are two more trailers in a farming game that are somehow better than the same trailers in a trucking game.

With this one, we have opening doors (without f7 cheats or having to disconnect the trailer), cargo straps, and infinitely sliding axles (back and forth wherever you want them, not the two slots that SCS recognizes as two separate trailers or the five implemented by a modder). Simple, but yet better from the simpler white box that shows no change whether loaded or empty, no matter what I am hauling (with the exception of hazmat stuff that puts a tiny placard on the sides).
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

And here is a trailer that is not default in ATS, but I wish it was. This one only has raise and lower and cargo straps, but it's a platform that can haul a wide range of stuff like this manlift.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

With just these three trailers (including the lowboy) and their features in ATS, I think a player could get far more than 500 hours of fun. And SCS could likely make bank off each plus the ever increasing numbers of ownable trailers they keep adding.

Who would rather have a paid ownable trailer dlc with features rather than a free new shape to trailer?
umdre71

#993 Post by umdre71 » 18 Mar 2023 21:42

Quote removed - Don't quote images - Rule 2.3

Yes, these are great models and your question is valid!
Optional Features

#994 Post by Optional Features » 19 Mar 2023 01:59

Thanks! I want to do stuff in game. If what I've seen of real life trucking is representative of the industry, the transit part is only a piece of the full equation.
Optional Features

#995 Post by Optional Features » 20 Mar 2023 08:44

If I were to point the SCS team to one video that captures the feeling of American trucking, it might be this one:

You've got a hardworking man in an old, but well taken care of truck whipping it through the crowded streets of two major cities, hauling rebar to a construction site for future growth and development.

Everything about this video is what trucking in America is all about. Maneuvering a large vehicle through places it was never meant to go. Watching for pedestrians and cars that are constantly in the way. Looking at the grime and grit of an industrial area and the places that surround it. Listening to the squeaks, moans, groans, squeals, and creaks of the cab, the motor, the transmission, the air system, and the empty passenger seat. Using the tools available to get the cargo off and the truck on its way.

I wish the game felt like this, especially sound and physics wise.
interstate trav

#996 Post by interstate trav » 21 Mar 2023 00:57

I like how it’s coming and as long as he baseman gets finished with it’s rebuild I’d say this is a fun game.
mca0004

#997 Post by mca0004 » 23 Mar 2023 05:20

If I can put in my two cents: I hate how slow trucks get added. Competitors like Snowrunner have multiple licenced trucks coming every few months or so.

I used to be a big defender of the slowness of truck releases, but there is no defence. SCS have really dropped the ball on this. Their way of developing trucks and getting licences clearly doesn't work. There is no good reason for us to only get about two trucks a year.

SCS is a big company with all the resources in the world to get new trucks in the game. You need to remember, SCS only have two projects; ETS2 & ATS.

The fact is: game has been out for 8 years, and we have 13 trucks. If you want to be kind and include cabin configerations; 39.

Snowunnder on the other hand, has been out for 3 years, and has 79 vehicles (becuase you should remember, it also has cars).

More than twice the vehicles, for less than half the time.

If you want to use the argument that Snowrunner charges for new vehicles, and SCS doesn't, then my response is that maybe SCS should do the same, if it means we'll actually get an acceptable amount of new trucks.

I want to let it be known that I adore ATS, I've got nearly 1000 hours in it of pure love and enjoyment. My dissatisfaction comes from a place of love. I love everything else about the game, the truck dripfeed is the only thing I have a problem with. I also want it to add that every truck SCS does end up eventually adding is of fantastic quality, and I love all the trucks in the game (my favourite is the Peterbilt 389 (even though it is agreed to be the lowest quality truck in the game)). I'm saying all this because I want the game to be always getting better, as a fan who wants the best for the game and the devs.
Oconner

#998 Post by Oconner » 24 Mar 2023 11:34

Well, I'll leave my pennies here for the discussion, since another user brought up the subject of the Farming Simulator game.

I'm an avid FS player, and I also played a lot of American Truck and EuroTruck before, and it's undeniable how much the FS game offers in the term "truck driver simulator" better than a game made just to be a truck driver.

In Farming simulator there is even a mod, yes a mod where you can sleep in the cabin of your own truck, a game where you don't even have roads to drive properly, and we don't have that natively in American Truck, hey SCS, you guys really know America and Do you know how drivers live there?!

Too bad we don't have competition, I imagine if the Giants decided to join in the fun...
Optional Features

#999 Post by Optional Features » 24 Mar 2023 16:59

Oconner wrote: 24 Mar 2023 11:34 In Farming simulator there is even a mod, yes a mod where you can sleep in the cabin of your own truck, a game where you don't even have roads to drive properly, and we don't have that natively in American Truck, hey SCS, you guys really know America and Do you know how drivers live there?!

Too bad we don't have competition, I imagine if the Giants decided to join in the fun...
And to add, this is the second game this mod has been in. It was in 19 first.

I completely agree, though, and wish the SCS team would take a break from development to play a little FS (and vice versa). Both devs could learn from each other, but the biggest lesson SCS could learn is to stop micromanaging the game.

The limitations SCS has placed on modders (and at times players) are a bit absurd considering the style of game this is.

In reference to the Driveable AI mod that was released a bit ago, we have a modder relying on windshield wipers and window raise/lower hotkeys to make simple (and relevant) animations like a dump bed work in a truck simulator while the same modder in a farming game could use the default tip animation to do the same. Something about that doesn't make sense.

This should be the far better game to drive a truck and do truck things. And right now, we're missing all the truck things.
nodin747

#1000 Post by nodin747 » 05 Apr 2023 06:30

The last blogs shows scs not interested in any game progress except old features update and dlcs . its pity, was good game

Return to “General discussion about the game”