Tricking ETS2 its mods directory is in its place when in fact it isn't?

Maximum Overdrive

Tricking ETS2 its mods directory is in its place when in fact it isn't?

#1 Post by Maximum Overdrive » 19 Mar 2023 14:07

Guys, do you know of any way to deceive a game in linux that a certain directory is in its place when in fact it's somewhere else?
What I want to do is to trick ETS 2 that this directory "/home/$user/.local/share/Euro Truck Simulator 2" is still there when in fact it's here: "/media/500GB/STEAM/steamapps/common/ETS2Mods" and so the game will look for its mods in the 2nd location?

There's supposed to be a way by adding a launch option in Steam but it doesn't work. It seems to be reading only the first launch option (which is "-nointro") and if I add a second, the game ignores it. So I need another way, not with launch options.
Maximum Overdrive

Re: Tricking ETS2 its mods directory is in its place when in fact it isn't?

#3 Post by Maximum Overdrive » 20 Mar 2023 14:44

That doesn't work and neither do symbolic links. Removed - Rule 2.3 it, I give up.
I wanted to change the mod dir bc some mods are unnecessarily huge (like 15-20GB) and I don't feel like buying a larger SSD just for one game. I guess I'll just spend a day making these mods smaller, after all.
Maximum Overdrive

Re: Tricking ETS2 its mods directory is in its place when in fact it isn't?

#4 Post by Maximum Overdrive » 30 Mar 2023 05:11

Topic update: thanks to the linux guru JasKinasis (from a Linux forum) now I have a working way to trick the game thinking ~/.local/share/Euro Truck Simulator 2 is still there. I tested it by running the game and I can confirm that it works! So I'm posting it here, in case anyone else wishes to do the same:

1. Create the new location where you want the mods to be, like on a non-root partition. For instance, I created the new location to be /media/500GB/STEAM/steamapps/common/ETS2Mods which is a non-root partition.
2. Open ~/.local/share/Euro Truck Simulator 2, use Ctrl+A to select ALL files and folders there and move them inside the new location. In my case I moved them to ETS2Mods.
3. Go back to ~/.local/share and delete the now empty directory "Euro Truck Simulator 2".
4. Open terminal and write (or copy-paste this command):

Code: Select all

ln -sT /media/500GB/STEAM/steamapps/common/ETS2Mods "/home/$user/.local/share/Euro Truck Simulator 2"
where the first path must be replaced with your desired path and $user is the username you use to login to your distro.
If you have done everything properly by this how-to, when you run the game, it will run with your profile. If you haven't done everything properly, it won't find the default directory in ~/.local/share and will try to create a new profile.

P.S. If I were you, I'd save this instruction into a text file somewhere, to use it as a template for other things or games and also to do it again, in case you have to reinstall your distro. If your home directory is on the root partition, that is.

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”