VR - experimental support

Appusle

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#2131 Post by Appusle » 14 Feb 2023 19:33

Appusle wrote: 13 Feb 2023 13:54 @AfxTwn No problem! I've been tinkering away with the VR settings, I am sensitive to wonky frame times and VR doesn't make it better. But once you go VR in ETS2 you can't really go back, it just doesn't feel the same.
I still have some red/orange lines but not nearly as much. But you do make a good point here
I see you are using the game config's manual stereo buffer scale and SteamVR's per-app, resolution per eye for super sampling. For me it has to be one or the other,

I will try to set uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale to 1.0 rather than 1.3 and see if the resolution is applied then or if it smooths out even further. I also really do not believe the ridiculous 500% render scale of 8640 x 8456 is applied as I see no performance difference between that and 20% even after a full reboot of the computer(I.E. the next day)
300% for me is 6692 x 6548 which is what I used before, now I'm testing with 500%.

here is a download link to my Config.cfg and NPI settings. I didn't use the guide from roextended because I felt it catered more towards multimonitor use. I wasn't sure if this was at all helpful for VR.
The files:"
https://mega.nz/file/ccswiSgD#jer-FFfI6 ... g67IoL2b8I
(Also added the link to my original post)

It is zipped so you will have to unzip them first.

As for the 9900K, I don't think it will make that much of a difference and I wouldn't recommend doing it. The game is very single threaded and thus can only really use 1 core at a time with maybe 1 extra thread or core for some tasks but most things run on a single core. I wouldn't be surprised if your 2070 is bottlenecked in VR to some extend. Personally, even if I enter a city and my frame time graph becomes more red than green, my GPU utilisation never goes up. it does when I raise the Stereo Buffer Scale I tried 1.5 but that just lowers my frame rate and increases my frame times across the board.

Given a new rendering engine is in the works I don't think the aliasing will be fixed until the new Rendering Engine will be here. it's mentioned here: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!, the OP has provided a livestream SCS has done where its discussed, so that is exciting. But there has been no ETA on when it will be released... a part of me is hoping they will do it on the 1.5 update of the game as that would be a nice round number to release such a thing on but one can be hopeful! The aliasing is very distracting and this is what makes distant objects very hard to see in VR. Once this is resolved than it's a non-issue.

I really hope they are going to implement FSR2.1 to the game with the move to DX12/Vulkan on the new rendering engine. This is platform and vendor agnostic meaning it works on pretty much every GPU out there to further boost performance and clarity for those who need it. DLSS/FSR/XeSS are godsends and also handle Aliasing as it upscales. It's usually also a lot more accurate than lets say TAA while offering a sharper image in the end.

The FSR mod I linked you uses FSR 1.0 to upscale, this is just a "simple" upscaler with a sharpening filter over it. I say "Simple" because it does it a bit more intelligently than just stretching the image and applying sharpening. but its not FSR 2.1 given FSR 2.1 needs data the mod doesn't have access to.

If you have more questions I will try my best to answer them :)

Regards,

Appusle

EDIT 13-02-203 9:53 PM - UPDATE!!

So I tested it with uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale "1.0" without changing anything else from my normal set up, this essentially lowered my MS from around 5 to 6 MS in that area to 3 to 4 MS but the image became VERY blurry.
To solve this I went to look in the different setting opens of the Steam VR and "Windows Mixed Reality settings for Steam VR" on the SteamVR dashboard.

So, Opening "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" and navigating to "Graphics" there is an option that allows for high resolutions than "Recommended" unsure what recommended means but I think this is the native resolution of the HMD that is in use. In my case 2160x2160 per eye. (Windows sees this as 4320x2160)
I enabled this setting and when I launched ETS2 it immediately crashed SteamVR, so.. it worked! SteamVR settings now finally applied! and having a resolution of 8640 x 8456 per eye(so it has to do this twice) was clearly too much, so be warned when enabling this option!

I continued my testing and tried a Global Resolution of 150% 3864x3780, and a per application setting of also 150% this crashed in a city with traffic but otherwise worked smoothly. Then I tried 130% this also crashed in the same city.
So then I decided to keep it on a per-application setting of a 100% this is the same as what you set in Global, in my case the 150%.

At a resolution of 3864x3780 per eye it ran smoother for me than having uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale "1.3" even though it should be a higher resolution(I think) so that is a good sign.
But... This still makes me crash.

Now you might be wondering why I crash, well.. my GPU only has 10GB of Vram and at 3864x3780 i'm on 90% vram usage from what I can tell. So I think that is the reason.
Although.. I also added these launch options:

Code: Select all

-mm_pool_size 4096 -mm_max_resource_size 32 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 1000
I tried to do half my ram, which would be 16384MB but sadly the game refuses to go higher than 4096MB. I tried 8192MB but even then it doesn't launch so maybe this doesn't help so tomorrow I am going to do a test with out -mm_pool_size 4096 in the string and see what it does. Though I doubt it would matter much.

Another test I can do is set the global slider to 100% this for some reason, uses a resolution of 3152x3088(I would expect this this to be 2160x2160 but apparently not... also much higher than the native resolution of the Index which is lower than my Reverb G2)
This would give me the same resolution in ETS2. this resolution is roughly 1,4 times higher than 2160x2160 (1.45 on the width and 1.42 on the height) so this should look the same as r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale at 1.4. I think..

Anyhow, the TL;DR is that I got it to work using the SteamVR resolution options and it seems to be much better than using r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale "1.0". The bar is a lot more green and even when the frame times are struggling it's not nearly as bad.
I am sad that the increase in resolution doens't help with the aliasing at all but I suppose that is the way VR works. But I wanted to give this update.

Oh, also keep in mind that any resolution mentioned is being halved with FSR.
I have my FSR mod set to a render scale of 0.5 so this halves the resolution and upscales it from there!
(This is all I have changed in the file)
Going to quote myself here to keep my response to this one to keep it a bit more consistent and easier to follow my information dump.

I think I found the best settings for my use case in VR.
Throughout my testing I also used a Traffic Density mod: Real Traffic Density ETS2
It is an amazing mod and can really enhance the gameplay as this mod makes certain areas, where it makes sense, a little busier But this does take a toll on my frame delivery in VR. In some areas my frames were presented late, very late, or not at all. eventhough is should have head 100 or more FPS.
This means that the Frames I needed aren't being delivered within the 7 to 10MS it needs to be resulting in choppy game play or rubber banding(a sudden fast forward) this makes it hard to turn for instance.

My Rig:

CPU: i7 13700K
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 10G FTW 3 Ultra Gaming
RAM: 32GB 3600MT/s CL16

Steam Launch Options:

-mm_pool_size 6144 -mm_max_resource_size 32 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 1000

This tells the game it can use 6GB of RAM, This is the highest i'm daring to go given at 8192(8GB of ram) it crashes on start up

In Game Settings
Set Everything to its Maximum value beside those below:
Fullscreen: Unticked
Vertical Sync: Off
Scale: 100%
AA: Disabled
DOF: Off
Reflection Scale: 50%
Reflection Resolution: Low
Shadow Quality: High
Mirror Quality: Medium
Mirror Distance: Medium

In SteamVR I am using the following settings:
Advanced Settings: Show
Render Resolution: Custom
Resolution Per Eye: 100%
Advanced Supersample Filter: On
Overlay Render Quality: High

Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Settings: -> this can be accessed via SteamVr Dashboard. There is an Icon for it, 3rd icon on the lower left.
Under Graphics:
Default SteamVR app motion reprojection mode: Auto
Toggle everything except for: Force DX11
WARNING: Be careful with resolution in SteamVR from here on out with ETS2.
Every resolution will be applied, including very ridiculously high resolutions. this can crash the game!

Pre-Aplication Video Settings - This can only be accessed in game. ETS2 is not yet recognized as an official VR game and will only show up in this menu when the game is running.
Motion Smoothing: Disabled / Force Always On -> I can go without this, but some VR users reported improvement in smoothness. This does half your frame rate though.
Resolution Per Eye: 100% (You might be able to go higher, but for me 100% is already at 3152x3088 per eye.

Config.CFG
uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale "1.0"

OpenVR FSR Mod Settings:
"renderScale": 0.69, - You can use what ever, but 0.69 puts the resolution at2176x2136. 2160x2160 is the native resolution of my headset. thought it was funny to do this)
"radius": 1.00, -> default value is 0.5
"sharpness": 0.9, -> this is the default value.

Download my current Config.cfg, Openvr_mod.cfg and Nvidia Profile Inspector profile for ETS2 here
Try to set
uset r_buffer_page_size "30"
instead of
uset r_buffer_page_size "10"
in config.cfg.
@supric I already changed this. I have it set as follows:
uset r_buffer_page_size "50"

So it should be high enough I think. :D

Regards,

Appusle
Madkine
Global moderator

#2132 Post by Madkine » 14 Feb 2023 20:49

Appusle wrote: 14 Feb 2023 19:33

-mm_pool_size 6144 -mm_max_resource_size 32 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 1000

This tells the game it can use 6GB of RAM, This is the highest i'm daring to go given at 8192(8GB of ram) it crashes on start up
Actually this tells the game to use 12GB of RAM, not 6.
From information provided by Max, this value should be half the value of your installed RAM.
Mind you if it's not crashing at that value, stick with it.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
AS1C

#2133 Post by AS1C » 17 Feb 2023 15:06

Is it possible to output in uset o_oculus_mirror_mode "1" not the right and left eye, but a picture in monitor resolution, like that developed in Beat Saber. Yeah, I know about the existence of oculus mirror, but I play using openvr. And steamvr view has a 3-year-old bug that renders the game in 30hz when in setting 72hz while overlay at 72hz. It's a common issue that valve doesn't give a shit about it, more you know here.
And second question what does the "-dummy_oculus_hd" parameter mean or do in the launch options?
Thanks for the answer!
bobtavenger

#2134 Post by bobtavenger » 04 Mar 2023 14:58

The Oculus branch on ATS hasn't been updated with the latest Kenworth W900 patch. I'm used to seeing these small updates within the same day, but it's been a couple now. Will we be able to see this soon?
-----------------
Computer Specs

AMD 5950X
GTX 4070 Ti
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 11
Frayner

#2135 Post by Frayner » 04 Mar 2023 16:23

It will come with time. Just need to be patient. It’s just one guy doing these updates in his spare time.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
obisky

#2136 Post by obisky » 17 Mar 2023 07:59

morse wrote: 05 Feb 2023 11:51
obisky wrote: 22 Dec 2022 16:13 I have been hoping for a long time to be able to enjoy ETS2 in VR in a smooth and beautiful way, I hoped at the time of oculus DK2. Without stopping trying to upgrade my PC and my VR headsets, I finally reached my goal with a 4090 and the 13th generation of Intel.
I know you mentioned some of your settings in another post, but would it be possible to give a more complete rundown of your settings - Nvidia Control Panel, ETS2 in-game settings, Steam VR settings, as much as you possibly can. I also have a 13700K, (3080ti still waiting on a 4090), and I would really like to get ETS2 running as well as possible too, so anything you can add would be appreciated.

Thank you
I will try to do that when I have some time.
But in general I left the original NVIDIA control panel and Steam VR. I didn't change any settings.
For game settings I'm on hight or very hight. I will do a more complete recap.
InsaneVRGamer

#2137 Post by InsaneVRGamer » 22 Mar 2023 07:19

Will this ever be part of the official game or will it always be beta (ETS2)..... :/ feels like it never will be,

I hope this year it will be, PLEASE
Last edited by InsaneVRGamer on 22 Mar 2023 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
AS1C

#2138 Post by AS1C » 23 Mar 2023 14:33

Maybe management needs to show how many sales, how many peak times online, and how much time is spent in the game under the category of VR players. Because right now it is just a hobby of the developers in their spare time. But maybe if the management sees how big the audience of VR players is, some of them might create a small VR department. The devs who are doing the VR direction, if there is something you need from this community to push the idea of VR mode in ATS/ETS. I have a feeling that everyone in this thread will just be there for help.
Just tell us what we can do :)
Madkine
Global moderator

#2139 Post by Madkine » 23 Mar 2023 14:38

Note it's not devs plural, its dev singular.
And through steam SCS can see exactly how many players use the VR option.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
EagleWaffle

#2140 Post by EagleWaffle » 25 Mar 2023 01:02

Hi guys, I have Legion 7 laptop paired with oculus rift mk1, I do get stableish 89fps but sometimes it drops to 45 and it stays there locked for couple of minutes and goes back to normal again, only in interior, tried different trucks/interiors/time/lightning, but it does not matter. I am thinking if this could be related to the laptop hitting a limit? In MSI afterburner I would never hit a thermal limit but I get regularly power and voltage limit, could this be the issue? I did hit power limit even on 90 fps so just wondering.

Return to “General discussion about the game”