Logitech Driving Force GT shacking

jullebarge

Logitech Driving Force GT shacking

#1 Post by jullebarge » 27 Mar 2023 20:12

Hi !

I have a problem with my Logitech DFGT on ATS (and ETS2 too I think but I didn't tried it recently). When I'm at low speed and I don't touch the wheel, the wheel shake left and right on its own.
I've tried different FFB settings in the game, tried the FFB plugin, changed Logitech software settings but I can't find how to stop that. It's really annoying.

Is there anything I can do ? I've read old posts from 1.42 update when FFB was reworked with the same problem on Logitech wheel, but I couldn't find a solution.

The only thing that seems to have an impact is the centering at low speed: if I set it on the left, the problem is solved, but I have no force in the wheel...

Here are my FFB and stability settings right now:
Attachments
20230327213440_1.jpg
20230327213433_1.jpg
Brian Benton

Re: Logitech Driving Force GT shacking

#2 Post by Brian Benton » 28 Mar 2023 06:28

This is a combination of the broken FFB for Logitech after update 1.42 and the design features of Logitech steering wheels. You can't fix anything. To be honest, I do not quite understand what kind of shaking you are talking about. If this shaking is always present, even when the game is not running, this is a design feature of the DFGT. This is fine. The steering wheel position sensor oscillates in the zone of a structurally embedded backlash and the board supplies voltage with a certain frequency. If you are talking and shaking while moving, then this is the result of a broken FFB performed by SCS after update 1.42. The steering wheel itself tries to oscillate left and right at a small angle of rotation. In any case, there are few solutions: turn on the centering spring effect by 20% in the Logitech driver and completely destroy the meaning of the FFB; disable FFB altogether; purchase a DD level device (for example, Moza R5 is a fairly budget option, for example, which is suitable even for beginner sim racers).
jullebarge

#3 Post by jullebarge » 28 Mar 2023 07:07

The shacking is only in this game. I play a lot of other games like Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2, Dirt Rally, WRC 9, and I don't have this kind of problem. I'm speaking a bout the wheel oscillating left and right at low speed, if I don't touch anything.
Brian Benton

#4 Post by Brian Benton » 28 Mar 2023 08:27

In this case, you are talking about bugs caused by the creativity of SCS. I understand you, but only the game developers will be able to fix this when they return FFB, which worked correctly for us before update 1.42. It was not planned to make any corrections to the FFB on Logitech SCS wheels initially, as we could see in the course of heated discussions earlier. I also don't experience any problems with FFB on DFGT in other games. And had no problems in ETS 2 until the release of update 1.42.
The_SimTrucker

#5 Post by The_SimTrucker » 28 Mar 2023 12:09

I use the below settings and my G29 works fine for me. I do NOT update the Logitech G-Hub software. For me version 2022-04 works and in the past I've had bad luck with G-Hub updates breaking settings.
[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
TheTiger

#6 Post by TheTiger » 29 Mar 2023 23:10

Increase the "Internal friction" slider to 3/4 and decrease the "Driveshaft Torque" to 0. And your steering wheel should works perfectly now. If it's too stiff at low speed, decrease little by little the internal friction until you have the perfect balance.
Brian Benton

#7 Post by Brian Benton » 30 Mar 2023 05:14

Internal friction only increases the overall resistance. You will not fix the problem in the center position in this way. You will only greatly increase the feeling of gears engaging and the steering wheel will turn in jerks. At the same time, it will also stably sway in the center in convulsions. It may work for belt driven or DD devices, but not for Logitech with gears inside. What is the parameter "Driveshaft Torque" responsible for? I don't feel any difference when I activate the values of this parameter from 0 to 100%...
TheTiger

#8 Post by TheTiger » 30 Mar 2023 16:56

I have to mention that above "fixing" works only for ETS2. (posted below my settings)

In ATS that left and right steering are due the lack of proper suspension of the truck. Now, it behaves like a boat on waves and the steering is taking the same actions. You can decrease these left and right by increasing the suspension, cabin stiffness and truck stability to max values. Also, you should reset the FFB to normal values and INCREASE!!! (NOT decrease) the Internal friction by a little.

@Brian Benton Since I'm a modder of physics and also I've own a DFGT steering wheel, I have hundred of hours of testing the behavior of each setting related to this. What you feel in the center for about 2-4 degrees is a limitation of the steering itself called as "DEADZONE" due to gears systems built. You can feel this only when you are driving straight and by increasing the internal friction, it will keep your FFB motors active permanently and the deadzone will be reduced significantly since it will apply a negative force to your movement. But it has a cost, your steering wheel will become harder at low speed and this is the exactly opposite way of how it should work in real life. But dunno why SCS implemented it like this. As for the "Driveshaft torque", when you accelerate from 0 km/h, your steering wheel tends to go on the right and when changing the gears, back to normal (center) due to friction. Deactivating this option will keep your steering centered everytime and it's a useless option for ETS2 since this effect isn't noticed on EU trucks.

Here are my settings for ETS2 (not active because I'm lazy to connect my steering wheel):

[ external image ]
Brian Benton

#9 Post by Brian Benton » 31 Mar 2023 05:32

@TheTiger I'm not a modder, but I do repair these wheels. I also spent dozens of hours testing Logitech wheels in this game after patch 1.42 in hopes of fixing a bug. And I collected a huge amount of feedback from real owners and had them test their wheels at home and give me a report :D. This is all, of course, good, but the problem is not in the steering wheel, but in the code that SCS reworked in patch 1.42. 2-4 degrees from the center - you are talking about the constructive dead zone of this steering wheel. I would say that it is even 1-2 degrees. Don't confuse it with 45 degrees, as it's not a FFB dead zone, but a gradually rising FFB. But you don't seem to be talking about that, and that's good. By dead zone, I mean the angle of rotation at which the electric motor does not work at all. This dead zone is always present on the steering wheel and it is not associated with the design play of the gears. You can feel it even if you turn the centering spring effect to 100%. This is a feature of absolutely all Logitech. Some alternatively gifted people "correct" this dead zone by eliminating gear backlash. Yes, the gears are tightly pressed against each other, the feeling of the teeth of the gears increases, the steering wheel turns much more slowly, the noise and wear increase (this wear is even accelerated when people use heavy grease based on lithium soap, which is absolutely contraindicated for plastic, which is used in Logitech) , but the electric motors still do not work in the zone of 1-2 degrees from the center. You can't fix this by increasing the internal friction setting, because, again, this force of the electric motors simply does not work in the 1-2 degree zone from the center. Increasing the internal friction value is like trying to heal a broken leg by hitting the head with a hammer. The leg will still be broken, but your body will respond more strongly to pain from the head by dulling the pain in the leg. And after a while you will feel pain in the head and legs in the aggregate :lol: . Again, you will only increase the resistance of the electric motor, which will lead to an increased disgusting sensation of the teeth of the gears. The step in the central position with a short-term imitation of a broken steering column and uncontrolled swaying of the steering wheel remain. I thoroughly studied the physics settings files in the game base, but I did not find a setting that was at least indirectly related to our problem. This problem is hardwired into the code and mere mortals have no access. The funny thing is that I've been getting wiggle feedback lately, even from DD level device owners. First I read about it on the forum, and then I did a poll on my social networks and was very surprised by the result ... I was even more surprised (or rather, I assumed it) that the vast majority of the reviews said that people were aware of the bug, but they do not attach much importance to this, since for them it is still child's play, so they do not complain and do not ask for help. Thus, the problem has existed since patch 1.42, but only those who want to fix this problem and get a really pleasant driving experience, and not just enjoy the fact that the steering wheel is spinning, suffer... I'd love to throw my main home DFGT wheel out the window and get a strap-on Trustmaster or a DD Moza R5 for the ETS 2, but that doesn't seem to make sense since the problem is present on those wheels too, plus I don't ride virtual world that much, since driving in real life is enough for me. So far I've only had the opportunity to test the wheels from DFGT to G923 and Logitech for ETS 2 and I definitely won't buy a second Logitech as long as the center position problem exists in this game. I'm just outraged that everything worked correctly before version 1.41 and that everything works correctly now, even in a steering-demanding simulator like ACC...

Thanks for explaining the torque setting. I assumed that this is how it works, but apparently DFGT is not able to simulate it well, since I do not feel the difference from changing this setting.
TheTiger

#10 Post by TheTiger » 31 Mar 2023 09:57

Thanks for explanations. I've opened only once my DFGT just to clean it out of dust and grease the gears. I didn't studied the mechanism in-details.

Regarding the feeling before 1.42, for me didn't feel "realistic" with that spring effect and I'm glad that they got rid of it. But what bothers me after they reworked that FFB in 1.42 is that they implemented it very poorly, even if it feels more realistically right now than before (i had tons of complains when they released it on many threads of this forum). When I tried for the first time the new FFB, I thought that my SW is broken after coming from Assetto Corsa. Then opened again AC and it worked like I was driving a real car. After that I've started studying what can cause this problem and what's wrong with the new FFB.

So, I started initially importing different LUTs created by DFGT users and the problem still persisted. Then I created a personal LUT with tons of points (more points => more accurate steering wheel => lack of deadzone) and the problem was still there. Then I thought, WHAT IF is not a problem with FFB at all and it is related to the physics system currently in the game. Which is a partially correct. The new FFB was designed for high values of suspension stiffness which makes the truck bounce less or not at all, and not for a soft-realistically values. So, if your truck is "a one piece" by increasing the suspension stiffness, your steering wheel should reacts the same and should works normally. But, if you lower the suspension stiffness, then simulated moving parts like suspension, springs, wheels and cabin will become factors for your steering wheel. For example, if the cabin shakes right and left, your steering wheel will shake right and left. In my opinion, they should make the steering wheel connected only to the wheels of the truck, BUT since we don't have a proper physics for the wheels in this game and is one rigid, this is not possible.

Return to “Steering wheel + pedals”