Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

Berniyh

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#331 Post by Berniyh » 29 May 2023 11:23

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 29 May 2023 10:20 you can run Cyberpunk 2077 on a GTX650, and it uses DX12 Ultimate, so yes, you can get a DX12 working card for under 50€ but you shouldnt, everything before the 10 series (and equal on AMDs side) shouldnt be bought if possible anymore
I think the AMD/Nvidia stuff is less critical. But keep in mind that Intel is the largest GPU chip provider for PC still. Most of these are of the HD series, of which even the newer generations only support feature level 12_1 and not 12_2 (aka Ultimate).
I'd expect that these laptops are relatively common amongst ETS2/ATS users.
Some of the older ones are even limited to DX12 feature level 11_1, according to Wikipedia. It's unlikely that those would be supported by a new DX12 rendering path.

Only with the relatively recent ARC series, Intel has DX12 Ultimate support, but those aren't really wide-spread.
Quark

#332 Post by Quark » 29 May 2023 12:29

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 29 May 2023 10:39 because they kinda are, OpenGL is outdated, i dont know which version the games use but i also dont think it gets any extensive updates if they intent to implement Vulkan, but the moment Steam end support they ARE irrelevant, the Clint will stop working and the work to get it working again is to big for the normal day to day user
Maybe i haven't expressed myself accurately enough, so just to be clear: There is no doubt that the client will stop working under Win 7/8/8.1 when steam pulls the plug January 1 2024, so these people are indeed irrelevant from there. I was only talking about those who already use windows 10 but lack the DX 12 compatible hardware (which you adressed subsequently, so all is fine). With my previous comments i only pointed out that you forgot to include those people in your initial reply to raskol.
angrybirdseller

#333 Post by angrybirdseller » 29 May 2023 12:42

:lol: Cyberpunk on gtx 650 won't catch my desktop on fire running the game
Some newbie driver

#334 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 May 2023 16:12

@Berniyh, Intel (non-ARC) GPU aren't for playing games, never had been and never will, PERIOD. The fact that one could run some games at some misserable specs doesn't mean play them or even enjoy them minimally (who say the opposite are just lying themselves by frustration or not being able to have a better hardware). SCS shouldn't be ashamed to completely erase those cards from the hardware compatibility of the game, PERIOD. As sorry as I could be with some people that has very limited access to some decent hardware (I don't mean shiny new one. just decent); the game cannot be ballasted forever due that. Anybody who has access to steam and can afford this game has access to an open enough Internet where to afford cheap not-so-old hardware. And if somebody couldn't even afford that; then I would suggest that there exist gazillions of free games out there as a way to cover the need of a bit of evasion and fun; while saving that little money for things that are way more important in life.

SCS will keep the DX11 build for a brief period of time mostly sure but that's it, BRIEF. Because otherwise they will have to maintain both versions and that would mean they would not be able to add relevant changes that rely on the code architecture that DX12 allow them to create. So, at the moment they had a stable DX12 version and they had to face the first big feature update, DX11 will be kicked out, almost granted.

Would old Win7/8/8.1 computers could had continued playing the game; maybe, JUST MAYBE, SCS would had decided to extend the grace period. But considering that Steam is going to kick out all those computers so they will not be able even to play on older beta branches; SCS has very little necessity to keep investing time and efforts (so, money) for the very very very tiny amount of people that would keep playing on computers not reaching the bare minimum at 2023 we are now.

Regards
Berniyh

#335 Post by Berniyh » 29 May 2023 16:27

I know that and trust me, I would never attempt playing ETS2 (or similar games) with an Intel GPU powered laptop, but the reality is that people do this.
Obviously we don't know to which extent people are using these GPUs for ETS2, so it's hard to estimate the importance of this. Just keep in mind that these people exist as well.
And for that reason I'd bet that DX11 will stay for quite a while, just like OpenGL hasn't been dropped. Just won't see any new development (which actually has been the case for quite some time anyway).
Actually the OpenGL version is pretty horrid in comparison (tried some time ago when I moved my truck sims to Linux) to DX11 for that reason.

I totally get the desire to drop old stuff and focus on the future, but I really doubt that SCS will go down that route, at least not within the next 2-3 years.
JoeAlex23

#336 Post by JoeAlex23 » 29 May 2023 16:41

Dropping support for DX11 and OpenGL will be a necessary evil for the greater good of the games, it's time to leave the "potato PC users" behind once and for all, even knowing i'm one of those stuck with no DX12 compatible hardware (for now), i'm in favor of completely moving to DX12 as soon as possible and just forgetting that DX11 and OpenGL even exist, at least OpenGL has the chance of being replaced by Vulkan at some point.
Berniyh

#337 Post by Berniyh » 29 May 2023 16:42

JoeAlex23 wrote: 29 May 2023 16:41 at least OpenGL has the chance of being replaced by Vulkan at some point.
Yes, maybe. But if they do that, why do DX12 at all?
JoeAlex23

#338 Post by JoeAlex23 » 29 May 2023 16:55

To give people options? The transition from DX11 to DX12 is way simpler than moving DX11 to Vulkan.
xXCARL1992Xx

#339 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 29 May 2023 16:58

especially if SCS will port the games to console in the far future is the use of DirectX the only viable solution, because Nintendo and PlayStation need their own APIs anyway contrary to the Xbox that also uses DirectX12
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
JoeAlex23

#340 Post by JoeAlex23 » 29 May 2023 17:07

I know about Sony's weird own API for the PS, but for Nintendo the Switch has support for Vulkan and i'm sure whatever ends up replacing it will also have support for Vulkan.

Return to “General discussion about the game”