North Scandinavia Discussion

Aziz

Re: North Scandinavia Discussion

#161 Post by Aziz » 01 Jun 2023 10:59

Ok ok
Am I the only one who thinks that NorScan may come faster than the two previous dlcs? Given the sparseness of road network (I don't expect much more than E6 through the narrow part of Norway with some side roads leading to towns), small sizes of towns in most cases, most of Sweden being forests and single lane roads... Same for Finland if it's included. There are no complex motorway systems and intersections aside from around larger cities.
The hardest part is in fact Norway, with mountains and fiords but I bet the majority of it wil remain south from Trondheim. And maybe alongside those few roads in western Sweden.

I think we may be talking about less than a year after official announcement, whenever it happens.
Seerman

#162 Post by Seerman » 01 Jun 2023 11:32

Anyway, we haven't heard about the development of this for a long time....
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#163 Post by Aziz » 01 Jun 2023 11:54

And we won't until WB is out, it's not ATS, here they make one map at a time.
oldmanclippy

#164 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Jun 2023 15:30

We could feasibly get some very early in-game teaser images before WB comes. HoR got in-game images in October 2020 after all. West Balkans is likely in "batten down the hatches" mode until they hand off to test, so they might not have as many people to spare for pre-production / early production on the 2024 map as they did for HoR when Iberia was finishing up pre-new-light-update.

I think North Scandinavia will likely go a lot smoother than West Balkans, if not necessarily faster. They already have some documentation for these countries, although their level of research in 2015 is likely very small compared to what they do today. And if Finland comes then they worked it for 2018 so even more recent. 2-3 countries vs 8, although the same number of languages to deal with more or less. Mountainous difficult terrain in only part of the DLC, and lots of room to spread out so density won't be much of a challenge. Smaller and less complex cities and road network, etc etc.

It all depends on how much they make for it. They could do tons of remote depots and small dot marked cities, or they could stick mainly to the bigger cities and some small towns. It's really hard to say when we don't know their approach. It could get us back to the 12 month cycle, or it could take as long as West Balkans. I have no idea.

Only guess we have is based off the europe-bgn.dds that includes 25 cities south of Bodø. If that is actually representative of their plans for marked cities, then there is a lot of work indeed. That would make it about 40 cities probably for the rest of Norway and Sweden. Sure they're small cities mostly but that's still a lot to handle.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Shiva

#165 Post by Shiva » 01 Jun 2023 22:17

Aziz, depends if doing a lazy mapping DLC, then a fast release. But that would be a disappointment.
If taking coastal trip from Bergen, to Nordkap https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bergen/ ... 709533!3e0
That route itself, would be a lot of work.
Compared to that and E6, then E4 and E45, would be a piece of cake, to do.

Narvik to Moskenes. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Narviks ... 001872!3e0
about 200km, if flying. But by road? way longer. I would call it an oversight, if this not route not included.

Main north/south routes, E6, E45 and E4.
Then I think there will be some shorter north/south routes on some places.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Aziz

#166 Post by Aziz » 02 Jun 2023 00:28

On the other hand, they may start doing actual mapping way earlier than they normally would. When most landmarks are natural, you don't need that many custom assets. When most of the land is just a road with a forest/mountain/shore to the side, you can do a lot of that before location-specific models arrive.
I guess? I know nothing about mapping but that's how I'd do it.
Prince

#167 Post by Prince » 02 Jun 2023 11:00

Even though the Nordic countries have few motorways, we do have a lot of two way roads. And remember how large the area actually is. It's massive compared to the West Balkans.

I made a comparison to the next DLC for reference (purple = Iceland | red = Norway | yellow = Sweden | blue = Finland):
Skjermbilde 2023-06-02 125615.jpg
Seerman

#168 Post by Seerman » 02 Jun 2023 11:23

In any case, this is not boring Kazakhstan with its endless steppes...
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#169 Post by Aziz » 02 Jun 2023 11:55

Once again, it's more about density rather than area. NorScan has a chance to have it lower than GE Poland, and that's an achievement. Compensated by size of course. I think the road density in the dlc should reflect population density, and Sweden is in 195th place in the world. Norway and Finland even lower.
Shiva

#170 Post by Shiva » 03 Jun 2023 02:56

Should it then be 1 road north/south in Norway and 1/north/south in Sweden? Or, how do you mean? Aziz.
What if comparing map DLC's in ATS?
If mapping done that way in USA, then some states would be.. interesting, mightbe the wrong phrace.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”