New Volvo VNL engine sound

Which engine sounds better/more realistic?

The one from the first video
81%
The one from the second video
11%
They both sound the same to me
8%

Total votes: 72

DracoTorre

Re: New Volvo VNL engine sound

#11 Post by DracoTorre » 31 May 2023 23:13

I chose the first for shift points sounding about as I expect when accelerating. Manual shifting by sound on the second I might shift later at higher RPM than intended.
Last edited by DracoTorre on 01 Jun 2023 02:55, edited 2 times in total.
flight50

#12 Post by flight50 » 01 Jun 2023 00:22

My honest opinion, neither are distinct enough for me. I hear you are helping SCS with sounds and its a good improvement but still not there. The videos are only accelerating. I also speak as a avid Kreichbaum fan so I might be a little bias but those that use his mod, do so for a big reason. We feel the engine as being alive. What I am looking for to be a good sound for a truck also includes believable downshifting and off gas (in between shifts and coasting). But notice I am saying believable and not necessarily realistic. In a virtual world, somethings just need to be a tad more fun than realistic sometimes. Fun has to be a factor as well. SCS sounds need that umph.

Downshifting and off gas are the big lacks in sound for SCS mixes imho. The upshifting is getting better. I expect my sound to ramp up and down according to the gear I am going to or dropping to. The tachometer should match accordingly when I shift. If I downshift with SCS sounds, the truck still sounds like its in the same gear I just came from with no definite audible difference or tachdifference. If I downshift using Kreichbaum's sounds, the revs jump up and I get a more umph in sound to let me know I just downshifted. Off gas/in between shifts, the truck should never go silent and that's a constant with SCS sounds. In real life the motor is constantly running but no turbo spool off gas so the engine should still be very audible. These minor detail is where SCS can improve.

Now I say all this as a 13/18 manual shifting player. I only play with a Eaton Fuller shifter. The sounds SCS produces are with the intention of automatic drivers imho. The umph isn't there for manual shifters. If SCS can get sounds to match manual shifts (H pattern shifters, not automatic manual), I think SCS would be on to something. As of now it feels too geared toward automatic and automatic manual trucks. Not everyone plays that way. In the 2800+ ATS hrs I've been playing, I could probably say I've done about 1-2 total hrs of trying to do automatic.

Can the video be remade to include downshifting and off gas to hear the motor more? Can a video be made going up a fairly good slope to hear the truck have to work? On grade, the truck isn't getting pushed to stay in a lower gear with higher revs to climb. The truck needs to be tested under more load to improve sound throughout the powerband.
Last edited by flight50 on 03 Jun 2023 11:22, edited 3 times in total.
NoDe31

#13 Post by NoDe31 » 01 Jun 2023 00:33

1st matches rpm better and has more clean engine sound... Though, both still have way to high pitch on engine. It could be lowered for octave or two.
Freeze338

#14 Post by Freeze338 » 01 Jun 2023 04:26

Just get the sound of old VNL by Kriechbaum. VNL sounds hasn't been changed for years.
JoeAlex23

#15 Post by JoeAlex23 » 01 Jun 2023 04:32

No offense but if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all, Harven is most likely trying to help the vehicle team with something to improve the sounds, like he has helped them before with many other things, is not about just "throw a mod at the problem".
CrazyGijs

#16 Post by CrazyGijs » 01 Jun 2023 08:30

The first video definitely sounds more smooth to me. In the second video you can much more clearly hear where two samples start to overlap and create an annoying resonating sound (1:52 for example).
[ external image ]

Intel Core i5 9600k, Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F, 16GB 3000 Mhz Corsair RAM, ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super OC 8GB, Logitech G502, Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base & pedals LC + P1 rim, Driving Force Shifter + DIY Scania SKRS.
Gonzalox

#17 Post by Gonzalox » 01 Jun 2023 20:11

I voted for the number 1 because for me the acceleration feels more smooth (comparision time 1:32 for the first video and 1:46 the second one)

Also I think I noticed that in the first video the sound transition between the gears it's better done.

I am glad to see that the quality of the sound-mixing is slowly improving, it indicates that it is going in the right direction. From what I see there is a lot of work to be done and a huge room for improvement, especially when it comes to the sound when not accelerating and when downshifting.

Thank you for asking the opinion of the community, I appreciate these spaces where one feels heard.
automaton

#18 Post by automaton » 02 Jun 2023 01:27

I definitely prefer the first one. Like others said, it sounds way more natural than the second one.
Grizzly

#19 Post by Grizzly » 02 Jun 2023 01:32

Prefer the 1st, it sounds quite natural. The 2nd has a nasty interference going on about 1400 or so. Also sounds like it has a component that doesn't change tempo as rpms rise, maybe the pitch or loudness increases instead.
Qizmett

#20 Post by Qizmett » 02 Jun 2023 03:18

I liked the sound of #1 better because the shifting sounded better to me. I'm far from an expert though lol. I couldn't tell much difference other than that. The idling between the two might've been a little different or maybe my ears are playing tricks.

Return to “General discussion about the game”