creating a car mod

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
mikeydino

creating a car mod

#1 Post by mikeydino » 05 Jun 2023 21:34

I am a 3d modeler and animator for movies and television and I have many vehicles already built that I want to make mods with. I can not find a tutorial for doing this but I know that people are doing it. Please forgive me as I am new at this but is there anyone out there that can assist in some way?
SomeNordGuy

Re: creating a car mod

#2 Post by SomeNordGuy » 06 Jun 2023 21:21

mikeydino wrote: 05 Jun 2023 21:34 I am a 3d modeler and animator for movies and television and I have many vehicles already built that I want to make mods with. I can not find a tutorial for doing this but I know that people are doing it. Please forgive me as I am new at this but is there anyone out there that can assist in some way?
Reverse engineer and use the SCSWiki
[ external image ]
SomeNordGuy is on Steam, Youtube & World of Trucks
Skinning/Modding Since 1997
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 07 Jun 2023 07:33

First: I'm not a modeler, but some years ago, I noobed around with Zmodeler 3 (another 3D editor) and modded some original SCS trailers.

Now Blender is the path to go, because SCS has released a toolchain supporting it. Search for "SCS Blender Tools" and "ConverterPix". I don't know any further details.

Aside from tutorials and search results, the general path to go is to import original truck models (or mods) and to analyze what really "makes" an SCS vehicle, aside from the bare meshes. Materials, animations, locators, accessories, and so on. Finally, text definitions to make the game known all that kind of stuff. A single vehicle may consist of many files. You'd have to read and try a lot.

There seem to exist some rare custom car models, though such mods might be "protected" in some way. I've never used any of it.

If it is really for user-drivable cars: the resulting physical handling of such car might be disappointing, as such types aren't part of the original game, and thus a customized physics setting isn't supported.
mikeydino

#4 Post by mikeydino » 07 Jun 2023 14:29

Thank you I will look into this

Return to “Help requests”