Options for ETS2 on Win7 going forward

Some newbie driver

Re: Options for ETS2 on Win7 going forward

#31 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Dec 2023 18:58

And even if Steam would go down in a very hypothetical scenario, even a complete blackout from one day top the next, nothing would prevent SCS to provide us an alternate version of the game out of that platform (and if SCS has demonstrated something all those years, is that they would provide us that option). Of course that could cause some initial problems, take some time until everything was in place and require SCS to contact their customers out from Steam. But in a global connected world we are, it's something perfectly doable.

The only way the Steam DRM could hurt us the way you mention Axel Slingerland is that SCS would purposely decide to take down the game.

Impossible? Not, of course. But IMHO, you are worrying too much thinking on that kind of scenario. Everybody is free to decide if they want to play on Steam (or other platforms) or not; but it's a question of personal preferences about your data more than a question of losing the access to the game someday. When Steam started and was almost a pioneer that fear could had all the sense (and up to some point, I shared your point of view back in that time). Bur currently it's almost science fiction.

Regards
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 08 Dec 2023 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
JoeAlex23

#32 Post by JoeAlex23 » 08 Dec 2023 19:09

No offense, but in this time and age, anyone who doesn't trust Steam just has a caveman mentality, Gabe Newell has set a lot of things in motion to make sure Steam never goes away even after he is dead and always stays private.
Some newbie driver

#33 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Dec 2023 20:52

But JoeAlex23, even if the worse would happen to Steam, xXCARL1992Xx already said it: nobody is tied exclusively to Steam. How much time will it take to SCS to create an alternative downloading platform and a modification of the game to connect to it? With how easy is today to create an scalable enormous data repository on services like AWS? What will SCS lose? Some hours of sleep, the DRM, some metrics, the payment system and the workshop; mostly. Compared with keep your customers happy, that hassle is nothing and they could have a final solution in a few months at max.

And even on a worse and still more fictional scenario, SCS decides to take down the whole game and close business without even give us a final DRM-free version. There's out there a person that single-handedly reverse-engineered the whole game and put on it a multiplayer mode. How many time until some programming beast of that kind (if not himself) would release a "solution" for the worries of people like Axel Slingerland?

It's not the fear to lose access to a game like SCS ones what should move a person to want or not open an account on game platforms like Steam. Not in 2023. It's not a question to have "caveman mindset". Is to really worry about what really matters. Life is complicated enough and time too scarce to keep worrying on things that, if ever happens, will have a solution.

Regards
Axel Slingerland

#34 Post by Axel Slingerland » 09 Dec 2023 19:43

Sorry, guys, no offense, but Max's signature makes a lot of sense to me, and it keeps popping into my head...

"Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing."

Besides that, simple logic and a little business sense should tell you that SCS absolutely has a contract of some kind with Steam, because they are not stupid. No matter what anyone says, I would never believe they don't. Only fools jump into a business deal without some form of a contingency plan. And that always involves getting everyone involved to sign contracts...

Oh, almost forgot... I'm not worried about anything. If I were to die tomorrow, I'd die a happy man.
Last edited by Axel Slingerland on 09 Dec 2023 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
xXCARL1992Xx

#35 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 09 Dec 2023 19:46

no, they dont, Steam doesnt make any contract, period. SCS got into the Steam Platform with Steam Greenlight (it was called that i think) back then and only by chance and popular vote iirc, there is no contract involved and never will be, this is Valve not Epic, they dont need contracts to get devs to use their platform

even YOU can go and register on Steam to publish a game if you are in the program, the only thing Steam gets is a 30% cut of every sale you make

and Max signature doesnt say anything because Steam has documentation about this

also, your whole logic doesnt make any sense, because IF a contract were involved the ETS2 Legacy version would have been abandoned immediately in 2013 and Origin/EA would never had ETS2 in their store to buy
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
JoeAlex23

#36 Post by JoeAlex23 » 09 Dec 2023 20:22

There are no contracts needed to publish a game on Steam, literally anyone can do it as long as it complies with the Terms and Conditions which are very public for anyone to read, there is no secret behind that.

Valve doesn't care about what anyone does with their games or where else they publish it as long as they let Steam get their 30% of every copy of their game sold on their platform.

Epic is the only one who makes exclusive contracts with game devs so they don't publish their games anywhere else.

Those are all we known and documented facts that anyone can check quite easily...
Madkine
Global moderator

#37 Post by Madkine » 10 Dec 2023 04:47

Legally the terms and conditions are a contract. The important part is that as far as we know there's no exclusivity contract. (Mainly proven by the fact that SCS kept publishing ETS2 updates seperately for years.)
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
JoeAlex23

#38 Post by JoeAlex23 » 10 Dec 2023 05:44

Well, yeah, technically it is a contract, but the point is that those Terms and Conditions are not specific to anyone and everyone who publish or plays a game on Steam gets treated equally.
Axel Slingerland

#39 Post by Axel Slingerland » 10 Dec 2023 08:02

For those who insist there is no contract, I was about to say the proof is in the terms and conditions and suggest you show them to me. But there's no need... Thank you, Madkine.

I must be mellowing out in my old age. There was a time when I would have taken offense to comments like "...anyone who doesn't trust Steam just has a caveman mentality...", but I let it slide because it would have been necessary for me to lower myself to that level to respond to it. But while I know speculation is the international pastime here, I prefer facts. And if there is in fact no signed contract between SCS and Steam, maybe I was wrong about SCS all along.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Some newbie driver

#40 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Dec 2023 16:15

Think in another detail. Would Valve force exclusivity contracts for games in their platform (that don't, as already stated); tons of games that are on Steam couldn't be on other platforms are they are. Or SCS wouldn't be even considering the console port (as stated several times by themselves) as they should had to sell the game through the other platforms that serve those consoles.

There are legitimate concerns when talking about DRM-platform-bound games. One of the usual examples of bad scenarios would be this one: Let's imagine some distributor published a game on Steam but later they had a legal mess with the game's developer and the publisher lost the rights over the game. Then Steam would be forced to DELETE the game from all the people who purchased it to that publisher. It would left on the goodwill of the original developer and maybe new publisher to do something to compensate all the previous customers; but that's something not granted. Things like that happens from time to time, not only with games but with any kind of work bound to a DRM-platform (e-books, music, movies...). So, there's lot of people that decide don't trust any DRM-media-platform.

In the case of SCS, everything is done in house: they develop and publish their own games and aren't owned by any parent company that could have legal problems that backfired on SCS. So, if the game is ever retired from Steam without offering an alternative (either a different platform either a DRM free version) it would be absolutely a decision made by SCS alone (as far their corporate situation doesn't dramatically change). Considering the trajectory and past records of SCS; do anybody considers that scenario something plausible? I don't.

Regards

Return to “General discussion about the game”