Seasons ?

fratrac

Re: Seasons ?

#11 Post by fratrac » 09 Dec 2023 19:46

That's cool indeed (pun intended)

SCS is not new to teasing too much so it would not be a big surprise if it was the case this time too, but this time who knows really :mrgreen:

having one season for each solstice/equinox would be a really nice way to do it (as already said here but for all 4 seasons) for me too
physics.scs --> bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0
Madkine
Global moderator

#12 Post by Madkine » 10 Dec 2023 05:06

rbsanford wrote: 09 Dec 2023 19:02 Snow textures and sounds were found in the files with 1.49, and the devs/beta testers were winking and nudging recently, so I'm betting we'll get to play in the snow.
The sound files were proven by a dev to have been in the game for years.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Drive Safely

#13 Post by Drive Safely » 10 Dec 2023 05:37

@Madkine - Correction: That was the file for the snow texture from the pre-ETS2 era. The snow sounds are new
Madkine
Global moderator

#14 Post by Madkine » 10 Dec 2023 05:49

Doh, knew it was one of them.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Eggtooth

#15 Post by Eggtooth » 10 Dec 2023 08:54

The photo has completely wrong perspective for the outside world vs truck. The scaling is way off.
TheOtherCorey

#16 Post by TheOtherCorey » 11 Dec 2023 22:00

In regards to it only being a promotional thing, that may be the case. However what about the lightening in the Oklahoma dlc promo art? Now we have actual lightening in game. It’s nice to imagine things happening, it’s even better when they actually do.
Sorry for my english, I'm american.
[ external image ]
hangman005

#17 Post by hangman005 » 12 Dec 2023 12:11

Look I'll be happy if it happens, a Christmas event would probably a good run to see how it'll be received and how it works.... but I'm not gonna set myself up for disappointment, either it happens or it doesn't.
Trucker Nik

#18 Post by Trucker Nik » 12 Dec 2023 14:43

I hope that the blog about the Christmas event will be today, I have confirmation that the blog should be this week
oldmanclippy

#19 Post by oldmanclippy » 12 Dec 2023 14:52

Quote removed - Don't quote images - Rule 2.3

Can you elaborate? I feel like news would have spread faster if snow was available by default in the map editor now. I'm assuming they're using their own assets right? Or is this just using the aforementioned 11+ year-old snow textures?
rbsanford wrote: 09 Dec 2023 19:02 and the devs/beta testers were winking and nudging recently, so I'm betting we'll get to play in the snow.

I hope it's not just for the Christmas event, and that this will be a permanent feature we can toggle at any time. Automatic seasons would be very complex to get right, due to nuances of American climate and pretty much every texture and model needing different variants that have to transition smoothly, so a switch between "June 21" and "December 21" would be a good alternative; this would also give more control to the player over their experience, which at least I would like, because winters here are pretty bad, and ATS is like a little escape into summer (likewise, it could be an escape into winter during the summer).
My knee-jerk SCS-skepticism has me saying that we won't get snow so soon, but rationally I do think something interesting is afoot, if not snow then something else. Everyone public-facing at SCS including SiSL who isn't known for hyperbole has been hinting at the Xmas event being really cool this year, beta testers are indeed being coy about the whole thing, and they did just post a snow picture which doesn't look photoshopped, even if again my knee-jerk skepticism tells me it probably is.

Oh god if the snow is Xmas-event only that'd be so frustrating. A June 21 vs December 21 toggle would be amazing and breathe so much life into this game, getting to explore the whole map again in a new season like with grimes' mods but official and with the green paint issue solved.

I think the main reason for my skepticism though is that an official winter mode would need to go beyond just the environment, for example it doesn't make sense to go pick up fruits from a farm in December in Montana. I am very confident in saying that SCS hasn't put in the work to make the entire economy seasonal, so I think they wouldn't necessarily want to bring out a winter mode that has nonsensical elements like that. For a mod that's fine, for an official mode it would be a little janky. So maybe if snow is coming, it will be locked to the event for that reason. I guess they could just disable agricultural depots in certain areas of the game for the Dec 21 mode, but that would have knock on effects for food processing depots and then we've got a domino effect. But I'm sure there could be a simple solution along those lines that would mean they wouldn't have to make the *entire* economy seasonal.

But personally, I'd rather have a Dec 21 mode permanently with nonsensical cargo, then to only have a Jun 21 mode and/or a limited-time-availability Dec 21 mode. The allure of driving through a white Montana or Norway is too enticing to worry about stuff like that, important stuff though they are.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Optional Features

#20 Post by Optional Features » 13 Dec 2023 02:40

oldmanclippy wrote: 12 Dec 2023 14:52 Quote removed - Don't quote images - Rule 2.3

Can you elaborate? I feel like news would have spread faster if snow was available by default in the map editor now. I'm assuming they're using their own assets right? Or is this just using the aforementioned 11+ year-old snow textures?
It may be the old snow textures: there's also a snowbank, drifts, and pieces in the editor according to another user.

I don't know much as I'm not a mapper, but something seems to be happening. Maybe a small map overlay for the Christmas event?

Return to “General discussion about the game”