Engine upgrade (RELEASED) and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

ScaniaKing326

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#481 Post by ScaniaKing326 » 10 Oct 2023 14:38

Some newbie driver wrote: 04 Oct 2023 17:29 His claims aren't completely wrong, Microsoft is indeed embarrassing themselves with every new big update for Windows 10 and 11. Specially Win11, I've never run in so many problems (in all kind of scenarios and final customers) that affect basic and essential functions of the system that are supposed to work fine always and that should had been more than solved a decade ago or before. I'm talking for example on being UNABLE to map a network drive (no matter what trick I tried, and I know a lot of them) on a brand-new just joined to domain clean install of Win 11 laptop (while other 2 the same exact model configured at the same time by me also had no problem, as expected). Win 11 remembers me exactly what Vista was: a Russian roulette. Even if the intentions and the features are good by M$ (and that's another debate), if you never know if your computer is going to be the chosen one to suffer random problems on basic workloads, it's something to severely consider to completely avoid it.

Said that, no Linux unfortunately isn't going to gain almost any traction from M$ mistakes. Because too much of the efforts made on open software aren't for the sake of final product or the final user but for the sake of the ego of the programmers involved in the project (starting by the the infinite amount of distros there exist as a proof of that). Even if Linux had gone through a massive leap regarding it's condition 20 years ago, it's still in diapers regarding Windows for a massive adoption. At most Win 11 will be like was Vista was; the best advertisement for Mac products ever. Linux is going to gain numbers in the Steam review due Steam decks (and that is remarkable by itself); but that's because is a curated product fully prepared and tailored with the backing of a big company putting effort on it (exactly the same why Android had succeeded). Regular hardware manufacturers of PC and laptops for domestic market are NOT going to make that effort (they barely made any regarding Windows, go figure) and regular users want something where to click "on" and it works. Linux still doesn't offer that for domestic, specially for gaming; palin and simple.

Regards
Yeah thats what i wanted to say.
I mean just look at this i moved a Dosbox-X installer from phone to PC and size is suddenly 41 GB ???? THE HECK ! Real size of Dosbox-X installer is 81 MB.

Now lets make something clear. Ubuntu is one of the most popular distros for a good reason. Arch and Manjaro are nothing when comparing to ubuntu (vanilla Arch lacks GUI for instalation, gnome desktop is bloated with stuff that cant be removed easily on both manjaro and arch etc.).Yeah steam deck will make a dent in market share. But when counting real Linux marketshare dont forget that android is also a linux but heavily modified. Also smart devices and most web (including this forum likely) runs on linux. Windows marketshare is small drop when comparing it to all devices that runs some version of linux.
Attachments
Snímka obrazovky 2023-10-10 170353.png
Steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/scaniaking326
World Of Trucks https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/1558213
Acer Nitro 5 (ANS 515-51) Logitech G29 with Shifter
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS / Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
Owner and founder of King Trans Group
Unbornsz

#482 Post by Unbornsz » 27 Nov 2023 14:16

ScaniaKing326 wrote: 30 Sep 2023 17:31 No big deal. Since im switched from Windows to Linux performance never was a problem. Windows is slowly going down anyway and more and more people look into world of Linux because they not gonna buy a new PC just to use Windows 11 or Windows 12 when Windows 10 supports end. Performance of both ETS2 and ATS on linux was far better on Linux (if you set it up properly) and engine upgrade will just continue to show this difference.
My main OS is Pop OS but unfornutely both ETS 2/ATS showed a strange graphical glitch and this happened in both versions, native and wine. Had to switch to Windows 11 to play and it's working 100%
ScaniaKing326

#483 Post by ScaniaKing326 » 07 Dec 2023 09:08

Unbornsz wrote: 27 Nov 2023 14:16 My main OS is Pop OS but unfornutely both ETS 2/ATS showed a strange graphical glitch and this happened in both versions, native and wine. Had to switch to Windows 11 to play and it's working 100%
You need to add graphics drivers ppa

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... ubuntu/ppa

and install latest driver from ppa stock ubuntu/Pop os packages arent up to date (pop has newer driver but even that isnt latest. Currently latest driver is 545.29.06) then if you have intel cpu with graphics and nvidia dedicated gpu you alsio need to enable nvidia optimus

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... ptops/amp/

another addiditonal steps required for nvidia optimus:

sudo (your prefered text editor) /etc/default/grub
add in line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT between quotes nvidia-drm.modeset=1
sudo update-grub
reboot
lastly add this to lauch parameters on steam __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA
done

If you experience same issue again thats problem of Pop OS. I know what issue you had. Game lauched outside of monitor partialy. Well that is known issue on some ubuntu based distros/vanilla Arch and manjaro but somehow vanilla debian and uhuntu are immune to this bug.
Steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/scaniaking326
World Of Trucks https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/1558213
Acer Nitro 5 (ANS 515-51) Logitech G29 with Shifter
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS / Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
Owner and founder of King Trans Group
rsr

#484 Post by rsr » 15 Apr 2024 20:39

13 Jun 2021

15 April 2024: still no Engine upgrade and no DX12
JoeAlex23

#485 Post by JoeAlex23 » 15 Apr 2024 21:11

Sure about that? They did a game engine update (not at the level some of you expected) and DX12/Vulkan are already working with 1.50.
flight50

#486 Post by flight50 » 15 Apr 2024 21:30

The issue is that everyone has a different idea on what "engine update" truly means. SCS has basically said numerous times that 1.50 is the foundation for the engine update. That is basically what pixel to pixel means. That is what no dx12 means. That is what no new features means. That is want no multi core means...no multi threading clarified. 1.50eb is the foundation to set all that in place. if they roll out something extra for open beta, that's a different story. But for now its really foundational.
JoeAlex23

#487 Post by JoeAlex23 » 15 Apr 2024 22:39

Yeah, technically any update inside the game engine can be considered a "game engine update", is just that some people expected something completely revolutionary to make the game look photorealistic, that's not the case and we always tried to tell people to manage their expectations.

The game might not look that different but introducing a new/updated rendering core and on top of that adding DX12 AND Vulkan support at the same time is not a small update at all.
flight50

#488 Post by flight50 » 16 Apr 2024 01:37

Well most of us knew someone would yell out where's the changes. It was just a matter of time. Surprised it took this long. Wait til 1.50 goes open beta and also public. There will be even more non regulars coming here saying the same.
Some newbie driver

#489 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Apr 2024 14:49

The changes are already there and notable; but anyways no more than another step forward. Graphically there's at least 2 big changes more to be done to be on the same page as average modern games. Whoever who would expect the game to have all of a sudden graphics like a triple-A blockbuster are delusional, don't know what they are talking, don't want to listen and it's a waste of time to explain anything to them because at the end they just want an excuse to complain about.

Also, the industry as a whole is to blame at here. Too many times they use the engine used as a marketing lure as if it was meaningful from the point of view of the player. It's not, the engine used concerns to developers. But they are doing the same than when a movie announces as "by the director of XXX movie". They are trying to sell a game leaning on the success of another one that used the same engine; when in reality with the same engine a dev can make a masterpiece and another can make a pile of turds. And now lots of people really believe that a game engine is something that can be interchanged like a light-bulb and it's just a matter to put there "the good one" and done. No wonder they hear "engine upgrade" somewhere and expect night and day changes.

Regards
RunnyPilot

#490 Post by RunnyPilot » 17 Apr 2024 06:39

I'm just happy that this update finally arrived (in experimental for now) and actually improving the performance. I'm maxed out here at 1440p 200% scaling and the lowest dip is about 90, maybe 80 FPS.

People complain too much just because it doesn't look up to par with modern games, and I genuinely don't care, even though I am a graphics kind of man, which is irrelevant nowadays. These things take time, and they got the biggest issue out of the way first. The game for me is officially more playable than it was, and I'm excited for the update to be released stable.

Return to “General discussion about the game”