Michigan Discussion Thread

howey

Michigan Discussion Thread

#1 Post by howey » 29 Jul 2023 00:30

Since SCS are now working there way up to the Great Lakes region I thought now would be a good time to start this thread. This state to me would have to be equal with Montana on the most interesting states I looked forward in ATS with what it's brings logistics wise.
State Flag
[ external image ]
Michigan B-Train
[ external image ]

Cities/Towns (Speculation at this stage)
Detroit
Grand Rapids
Ann Arbor
Lansing
Kalamazoo
Coldwater
Springfield
Negaunee/Ishpeming
Marquette
Escanaba
Iron Mountain/Kingsford
Crystal Falls
Ironwood/Bessemer/Wakefield

Industries
Agriculture with
Wheat
Barley
Corn
Oats
Soybeans
Cabbage
Blueberries
Cherries
Asparagus
Onions
Sugar Beet
Potatoes grown just to name a few

Manufacturing
Motor vehicles & Parts
Machinery
Fabricated metal products
Chemical products
Furniture
Processed Foods

Construction
Healthcare
Tourism
Technology
Home of GM & Ford MoCo

Lakes
Lake Michigan
Lake Superior
Torch Lake
Lake Huron
Lake Charlevoix
Mullet Lake to name a few

My Favorite Part truck/trailer configurations & axles.
Michigan Octopedes
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
11 axle A-train
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
13 axle A-train
Optional Features

Re: Michigan Discussion Thread

#2 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jul 2023 01:39

I really do hope they get AI trucks with proper axle configs, but after California, the PNW, Idaho, Utah, and other states with unique setups, it doesn't appear that'll be happening.
Bedavd

#3 Post by Bedavd » 29 Jul 2023 03:48

Dang, was always hoping I'd be the one to start this thread lol

I put together this map quite a long time ago for the roads. towns, industries, and some special landmarks I was expecting to see. Haven't touched it in a while because I haven't had much to add.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 480198&z=8

The main things to keep in mind is that the UP and LP are vastly different landscapes, and the lower and upper LP are different between themselves. The rundown of the three regions are:

- South of US 10 is farms and fields with forests spread between, similar to what you'd find in lower Wisconsin. I would say Indiana/Ohio but it's not quite as flat and vast. This is also were the majority of the people live. Western Michigan is much more hilly than the east, and is also where the fruit orchards are. Manufacturing is still very common around the cities. It is the rust belt after all.
- North of US 10 is forests and far fewer farms, though still plenty. A bit hillier. This is "up north" where all the camping and recreation occurs. Traverse City is the Cherry Capital and we absolutely need to haul cherries from orchards in the area. Alpena, on the other side, is a very small town but the World's Largest Limestone Quarry is north of it in Roger's City
- The UP has VERY few farms, mostly just around I-75. the interior of the peninsula is very rugged, isolated, and forested. The industry up there is almost exclusively ore and timber, though ore is falling off these days.

I've got a lot to say about the state. I put quite a bit of it in the map linked above if you click on the icons. Otherwise I'll definitely be in here dropping more information in the years to come before release.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Bedavd

#4 Post by Bedavd » 29 Jul 2023 04:04

howey wrote: 29 Jul 2023 00:30 Cities/Towns (Speculation at this stage)
Detroit
Grand Rapids
Ann Arbor
Lansing
Kalamazoo
Coldwater
Springfield
Negaunee/Ishpeming
Marquette
Escanaba
Iron Mountain/Kingsford
Crystal Falls
Ironwood/Bessemer/Wakefield
Coldwater, if anything as an unmarked town. Southern Michigan is already gonna be very dense and I imagine the I-94 cities will be pushed down and the I-96 cities will be pushed up so the towns will fit. I only see it coming in if US 12 comes in.

Springfield, I didn't even know existed until just now. Battle Creek is the bigger town and is where Kellogg's is headquartered and has a factory. That has to be in, but probably as a remote depot for Kalamazoo.

Ishpeming, for sure with the Tilden Mine, probably connected to Marquette as the marked city.
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
howey

#5 Post by howey » 30 Jul 2023 06:19

@Optional Features Hopefully by the time they get to Michigan they will have more options for Trailer and Axle configurations. Still wait on 40 & 20ft flatbed trailers for PNW setups.

@Bedavd really sorry man I had been holding off wanting to do this thread for awhile now because of the original direction SCS were planning to go towards. When I'd find out they were heading up to the Great Lakes region I hanged out to see if any of the Local folks would start this thread due to knowledge of the state. When I saw others creating threads around Michigan I thought if I don't do it now I'll miss out myself for sure.

But Knowing you Knowledge of the state personally can only imagine the amount of feedback you would bring to this thread which is much appreciative as I really have a interest in this state myself being an outsider.

I took a bit time trying to research towns and cities which industries to density ratio seemed likely. Like you said majority is towards the eastern parts of the state. Two thing i'm curious though with in relation to Kellogg's you mentioned though is with GM's and Ford's Infrastructure as what I can see is common around the Detroit/Kentwood/Saginaw areas. Another one to is Prairie Farms they seem to have a couple of cattle stations and distribution centers around the SE part of the state.
MattB2100

#6 Post by MattB2100 » 30 Jul 2023 17:58

Speaking of density in Southern Michigan, I'd probably cut off I-75 between I-96 and I-94 in central Detroit. There's like one exit on this stretch (Mack Avenue) that'd be useful for industry (Eastern Market and its nearby associated food service warehouses, and the Faygo pop plant a bit past that, but all of that would probably clash with the 1:20 scale). Also, by the time SCS gets around to developing Michigan, the Gordie Howe Bridge will be open, so that should probably go in instead of the Ambassador Bridge.
Former developer for the now-defunct Great Lakes Map
Syxx_Killer

#7 Post by Syxx_Killer » 01 Aug 2023 00:59

It's weird to think that SCS is finally getting within reach of my home state. I've been eagerly awaiting it for quite awhile. We sure do love our axles here, so it would be nice to see the proper trailers. Regardless, though, I hope they have at least one drop in the Thumb. It's always neglected, yet would fit into the game nicely. There's all sorts of agricultural drops they could do. With them getting closer to the Great Lakes, I hope they incorporate a drop or two involving the thriving shipping industry on the lakes.
Bedavd

#8 Post by Bedavd » 01 Aug 2023 02:50

@howey no need to be sorry lol! GM/Ford/FCA(Stellantis) has plenty of factories around the southern part of the state. I’ve got a bunch of them mapped already, but mainly found between Saginaw south and Lansing east. Yeah we have some livestock but really agriculture is way more prevalent. If we didn’t end up getting any cattle in MI I wouldn’t be too surprised.

@MattB2100 I’d tend to agree we don’t need I-75 in that area, particularly if we get GM’s Hamtramck facility we’ll want I-96 and I-94 for sure and 75 just might not fit. Also 100% when the Gordie Howe bridge is done that should have priority if the ambassador bridge can’t fit, it’ll be the more important crossing at that point (take that Matty Moroun)!

@Syxx_Killer We’ll have the thumb, I’m sure of it! Pioneer Sugar is in Bay City and they get most of the sugar beets from the thumb, plus there’s a sizable wind farm in the area. Maybe even get Bad Axe as a marked town with some sugar beet farms and a Vitas Power.

Marquette, Escanaba, and Alpena could have ports, though they’ll be pretty small compared to what we’re gonna get in Duluth, Milwaukee, and Chicagoland. Detroit will hopefully have something sizable around River Rouge though. Plus Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario will bring even more and the locks, which will be sweet.
MattB2100

#9 Post by MattB2100 » 11 Apr 2024 03:16

It looks like the usa.dds update in 1.50 may have accidentally revealed where the southern ends of I-69 and US-23 in the Michigan DLC might be when not counting connections to neighboring DLCs - they may both go as far south as I-94:
[ external image ]
Former developer for the now-defunct Great Lakes Map
Bedavd

#10 Post by Bedavd » 15 Apr 2024 22:19

Nice to see they are planning on US 23. I always felt that was very up in the air. Sad that it would indicate that US 12 wouldn't be the southernmost e/w route, but that was even more iffy so I'm not surprised.

Return to “General discussion about the game”