SCS General Discussion Thread

User avatar
Seerman
Posts: 1213
Joined: 31 Mar 2021 13:59
Location: Where I am?

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40011 Post by Seerman » 21 Apr 2024 14:27

In fact, everything you described here is the problem of high expectations. In fact, this is an ordinary gaming forum that is constantly changing, that is, it lives its own life. If you treat this place appropriately, then you won’t have any problems.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:
_____________
Peterbilt 389 Rework | Western Star 5700XE Rework
fratrac
Posts: 235
Joined: 13 May 2020 10:28

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40012 Post by fratrac » 21 Apr 2024 14:41

LuzikSebastian wrote: 21 Apr 2024 08:39 When will SCS get a real automatic gearbox?There is no difference between Eco mode and high power
Difference there is, but you really need to play with the values in def/vehicle/truck/your_truck/engine/your_engine. Also there are noticeable improvements with 1.50
extract physics.scs file --> "bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0" for throttle/brake responsiveness
I overexplain always and only for fear of being unclear
User avatar
Sora
Posts: 2208
Joined: 22 Feb 2017 18:47

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40013 Post by Sora » 21 Apr 2024 15:24

Personally, my activity here has dropped substantially for two main reasons.

One is that, pretty much every time I post, I have to prepare to also write a follow-up post clarifying it. There are a lot of reasons for this, some of which aren't really the other user's fault (like translation issues), but even among native English speakers I often find myself having to explain what I mean two or three times... or I'll wake up to find arguments about a point that I wasn't even making. This is the only website I consistently have this problem with, and it's actually rather tiring, so I'll often type up entire posts only to decide it's just not worth the effort to have to reword it later.

The other reason is an acute awareness that many people here don't seem to play many other games, aside from possibly a few other simulators, resulting in rather... odd impressions of how the game industry works. There are many here who clearly have a very narrow grasp of game development that may more closely match the idea of magic, and many others who excitedly request things that they would probably be substantially less excited for if they were aware of what consequences could be caused by them. It's very easy to forget that every feature comes at a cost of some kind, and the math isn't always as simple as "cut paint job packs and ATS blogs, add seasons and rigids".

And, really, there's a third reason as well: I mostly came here in the first place to complain about ATS. But most of my initial complaints have been resolved, or will inevitably be as long as the game lasts another few years, and at this point I'm reasonably confident in their ability to competently handle the rest of the map. These days, they probably know the country better than I do; I'd just be holding them back.

And, as such, if I don't really have much to complain about, much to offer them, or much particular desire to interact with the community... why am I here? So these days I pretty much only post if I actually feel I need to for some reason. Most commonly, this happens when you guys get fixated on something weird and desperately need someone to disagree with you.

No, I'm not elaborating.
User avatar
dkasper00
Posts: 2909
Joined: 07 Jan 2017 22:59
Location: NJ

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40014 Post by dkasper00 » 21 Apr 2024 15:34

I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be. No reason why though.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
User avatar
gaillard
Posts: 768
Joined: 28 Jul 2020 19:15
Location: 97 Sambre-et-Meuse

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40015 Post by gaillard » 21 Apr 2024 16:11

Sora wrote: 21 Apr 2024 15:24 when you guys get fixated on something weird and desperately need someone to disagree with you.
If your weekend can be better for you with that, I agree completely that you can disagree with me. No problem at all.
User avatar
DisgruntledTrucker
SCS Software
Posts: 116
Joined: 03 Oct 2018 16:56
Location: Prague, CZ

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40016 Post by DisgruntledTrucker » 21 Apr 2024 22:08

55sixxx wrote: 21 Apr 2024 13:22 This once was a really good place to interact with others and share your point of view
55sixxx wrote: 21 Apr 2024 13:22In one spectrum you have the people that suck up the devs no matter the situation and in the other you have people that have functioning brain cells and are able to see many flaws in the game
You're so close, you're almost there!
Some newbie driver
Posts: 7288
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40017 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Apr 2024 22:59

@Sora among the most dedicated players of any kind of game, the ones of simulators use to be the most picky with difference. Well, isn't strange, after all they are devoted to the simulation to the highest degree. That's not a problem at all in itself as far as they just share opinions and wishes. Problem is when people start to believe their wishes are orders that deserve be fulfilled and bash everybody who they deemed responsible of his frustration. But that's not specific of simulator communities, it's human nature. Most games have a short -to-medium lifespan, simulators use to have it way longer; so just more chances of that kind of people to emerge.

Regards
55sixxx
Posts: 3396
Joined: 02 May 2020 23:11

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40018 Post by 55sixxx » 21 Apr 2024 23:08

DisgruntledTrucker wrote: 21 Apr 2024 22:08
55sixxx wrote: 21 Apr 2024 13:22 This once was a really good place to interact with others and share your point of view
55sixxx wrote: 21 Apr 2024 13:22In one spectrum you have the people that suck up the devs no matter the situation and in the other you have people that have functioning brain cells and are able to see many flaws in the game
You're so close, you're almost there!
Almost there, where?

No one can't deny that the forum has significantly declined in the quality of conversations. It doesn't matter if a person is just trying to have a normal discussion, because nine times out of ten, there will be someone to either try to enforce their own opinion on other people by telling the other person they are wrong, or, there will be someone to pull out of context whatever someone may write, in order to fit their personal agenda (And from there derail the entire topic/thread to another subject completely unrelated to the main topic of conversation, like it happened many times with that certain DLC that shall not be named at the moment).

Personally, I've been hand picking the discussions I insert myself within... Because many times, like Sora said, I find myself typing an entire essay just to delete it afterwards because in my point of view, it's just exhausting trying to reason with a number of particular users. But there are some occasions where I "drop the hammer" and say exactly what I have in mind, people who know me better and/or know me IRL, know I have no "filter".. Which is something that often times get's me in trouble.

By the way, being tired of the community does not translates to (At least most of the times) being tired of the game.

What I would like to see again is the 2019-to-2021 era of the forum, before we had the huge boom in negative threads (Yes, the games have a lot of improving to do but that surge in negative threads was really annoying) and negative feedback replies (I admit I have a hand in it and I do post quite a bit of negative feedback myself and sometimes it comes out harsher than intended). But, I'm afraid those times won't come back again.
User avatar
marcel-dutch
Posts: 587
Joined: 15 Nov 2016 21:54
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40019 Post by marcel-dutch » 22 Apr 2024 01:06

@55sixxx:
What I notice is that people began very impatient. Life became very quick and fast. People have no time more to wait.
It goes not fast enough in the opinion of impatient people.

Plus: I noticed that people using ETS2 on a total different way that it is designed for: want to walk through the world, driving cars for example.
Truck driving is boring in the mind of those people.
On TMP is that an issue. Driving like maniacs and ramming other drivers. Normal truckdriving is way to boring.

Besides that: I love to drive.
Now I participate at the Experimental Public Beta. I like it.
At ATS I have 2524 hrs of driving and ETS2 6640 hrs.
User avatar
TheTiger
Posts: 2650
Joined: 13 Nov 2018 11:56
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40020 Post by TheTiger » 22 Apr 2024 08:48

55sixxx wrote: 21 Apr 2024 23:08
Personally, I've been hand picking the discussions I insert myself within... Because many times, like Sora said, I find myself typing an entire essay just to delete it afterwards because in my point of view, it's just exhausting trying to reason with a number of particular users.
Well said.
Post Reply

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users