SCS General Discussion Thread

User avatar
gaillard
Posts: 756
Joined: 28 Jul 2020 19:15
Location: 97 Sambre-et-Meuse

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40091 Post by gaillard » 24 Apr 2024 19:55

parasaurolophus67 wrote: 24 Apr 2024 19:08
+1, serious here...
User avatar
AntonioMart
Posts: 809
Joined: 30 Apr 2018 02:17
Location: Spain 🇪🇸

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40092 Post by AntonioMart » 25 Apr 2024 00:47

Mohegan13 wrote: 24 Apr 2024 15:30 I hope any pray the Magnum one day gets some love but I know it won't happen.
Why not? I think that rework of old trucks is possible with time. Since the Actros MP4 and Volvo FH4 are currently being reworked, in addition, Mr. SiSL mentioned the rework of the old MAN TGX.

So I still hope for a rework of Magnum and old Scania R, but this obviously will not happen soon.
User avatar
harishw8r
Posts: 4160
Joined: 14 Mar 2020 05:52
Location: Moon
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40093 Post by harishw8r » 25 Apr 2024 01:25

They are being reworked BECAUSE they share many elements with the latest model, i.e, pretty much a facelift. Magnum or Premium do not have that motivation. The other hope for a rework is when either truck gets a tuning pack. Even that is not anywhere in the near future because the TGX tuning pack might be the next, based on hints.
User avatar
JoeAlex23
Posts: 2507
Joined: 04 Dec 2016 03:24
Location: Dominican Republic
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40094 Post by JoeAlex23 » 25 Apr 2024 02:16

Yeah, completely different things, the Volvo FH3 and the Mercedes New Actros have a very good reason to get a rework, and we still don't even know the extend for that MAN TGX rework, but if my guess is right, they will just use the facelifted truck as a base so it won't be a "complete" rework, more like a "model swap", which is way easier.
User avatar
harishw8r
Posts: 4160
Joined: 14 Mar 2020 05:52
Location: Moon
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40095 Post by harishw8r » 25 Apr 2024 02:21

And much practical. The model swap does the job quite well. I don’t expect the trucks to be 100% accurate. 90-95% is good enough. Reworking the entire TGX E5 from scratch is a waste of time, time which could be used for other trucks.
Eggtooth
Posts: 219
Joined: 20 Dec 2012 17:44

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40096 Post by Eggtooth » 25 Apr 2024 03:04

Aziz wrote: 23 Apr 2024 09:25 Oh the merc isn't even half as bad as certain vehicle which name is starting with I and ending with veco.

The whole console is a flat texture, including the air vents. :( Not to mention the fake SSAO on the logo
I will say this. Renault Magnum and Premium may not need much touchups...

But, and yes, this will be suprising, I actually /LIKE/ Iveco Stralis interior. Even in this form, I like how compact it is. It may not be very presentable, but there's just something about it that draws me to drive that barebones Iveco even if it begs for rework.


What makes me wonder is why SCS not doing anything with these models? If they want the game to be presentable, Magnum, Premium, Stralis need rework. They don't need permission to rework parts that are already licenced, to remodel them from scratch and make them look better. It's probably only adding new parts that's a problem... but even then, if they just made some spoilers detachable, fixed AO and improved Fuel tanks and lowered front suspension for Magnum, that would work fine.


Hear me out - the current 3D models of Premium and Magnum are actually alright in my opinion. They are reasonable in quality.
User avatar
Madkine
Global moderator
Posts: 12717
Joined: 08 Oct 2018 16:35
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40097 Post by Madkine » 25 Apr 2024 03:20

Eggtooth wrote: 25 Apr 2024 03:04 They don't need permission to rework parts that are already licenced, to remodel them from scratch and make them look better.
On this I believe that you are wrong. However I don't think that's whats holding them back.
I think their overall workload for vehicles is such that they simply don't have the time/resources to do anything unless there's a good reason.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
LuzikSebastian
Posts: 73
Joined: 01 May 2019 16:00

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40098 Post by LuzikSebastian » 25 Apr 2024 04:25

After all, you have plenty of mods Renault from knoxx or Scania r from rlj There are more important things to improve, such as introducing BDF, for example!
Eggtooth
Posts: 219
Joined: 20 Dec 2012 17:44

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40099 Post by Eggtooth » 25 Apr 2024 05:00

LuzikSebastian wrote: 25 Apr 2024 04:25 After all, you have plenty of mods Renault from knoxx or Scania r from rlj There are more important things to improve, such as introducing BDF, for example!
Even with ETS2 and ATS as released products, relying on mods to do the job for them is bad. They should be more than willing to improve old parts of the game themselves, because mods aren't forever. I use Volvo FH3 by johnny and he hasn't been around for a while now. What if Dotec also stops updating his Actros trucks, huh?. What happens when 1.50 drops and he won't update it? The mod is done for and so much for your "mods improving game". That is null and void when SCS does it because then I can keep it forever.

They would need to rework the trucks once, because all of the new trucks are in 'diminishing returns' territory with 3D models, where more polygons won't improve their look at all, because geometry is very complex. So lets say they rework Renault Premium from scratch - that model doesn't need updates anymore, likely forever, because since 2015, games have very detailed models and incresing polygon count on them doesn't give any benefits anymore.

Games with detailed models from 2015 look good today because they are in that spot. Hell, Crysis that came out in 2007, those models don't need updating. It's lighting that's all this is about. Not the models, it's about how the models are lit. This is why ATS/ETS2 looks reasonable when you use newer models, the lighting does the job. In the case of aforementioned trucks, they have actually low polycount that IS NOT in 'diminishing returns' territory, especially Iveco Stralis. Renault Premium and Magnum are 'passable' but not in quite there.

Perhaps SCS should implement tesselation.
User avatar
krmarci
Posts: 1792
Joined: 03 Jul 2015 17:33
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#40100 Post by krmarci » 25 Apr 2024 07:12

The forum is especially slow for me nowadays... Lots of 502s and 504s...
Post Reply

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]