Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: Forum Discussion/Suggestion Thread

#701 Post by Mohegan13 » 18 May 2024 16:41

Aziz wrote: 18 May 2024 15:29 With dozens old inactive accounts being hacked weekly?
More like 2 dozen daily, you just don't see most because they are still in moderation.

The only thing I can say for sure is that I've occasionally been checking accounts details and every one I have checked has been found in various data breeches as late as 2023 with billions of user/pass data. The most likely scenario is they are just running a script of user/passes to automatically login and see what works since a lot of people do tend to have lax security with their combos and reuse stuff, I don't believe the forum itself is compromised. Of course I don't have access to the server so that's an unverifiable assumption.

However I have been pushing to have all old accounts that are unused, never activated etc, to be removed for about a year now. I've also suggested the implementation of 2FA and even linked them to a known working plugin for phpBB. Hopefully they will add it. I've also been pushing to have forced reactivation on accounts that haven't been logged into in a long time. If I had the ability to do all this myself I would, but I don't have full admin or server access. So we rely on our SCS associate who isn't a full time employee. 🤷‍♂️
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
You only live once and my advice,
take a trip to cloud 9 I like,
that feeling of euphoria, it's nice
-MLP-

#702 Post by -MLP- » 18 May 2024 17:27

Maybe a forced password reset should be done.
Aziz

#703 Post by Aziz » 18 May 2024 18:41

That has been done at KSP forum after a surge of questionable user actions over their network. Only for people whose accounts have been dormant for like 2 years.
Madkine
Global moderator

#704 Post by Madkine » 19 May 2024 00:58

Based on what we are seeing, we'd need to force a password reset for everyone who hasn't changed their password in the last 6 months.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
SerPounce

#705 Post by SerPounce » 21 May 2024 00:40

I thought someone was messing with my SCS Forum account (for whatever reason :lol:) when I was asked to reset my password. I'm glad it was for safety reasons. I'm relieved now.
Aziz

#706 Post by Aziz » 21 May 2024 09:57

[ external image ]

That was because of the spam post in this very thread right under discussion about spam posts
Winchester1979

#707 Post by Winchester1979 » 10 Jun 2024 20:08

What's with the deletion of old mod threads, btw? Is the forum that hard up for space that old, still up-to-date (i.e. thread has had no updates because the *mod* has needed no updates since the last time the game changed formats... which for some stuff was back before 1.40) mod threads need to be deleted for space when they're basically the official repository because the mods aren't on the Workshop?

Several cases spring to mind:

Abasstreppas' trailer wheel pack, not updated since 2022 because the game hasn't updated the relevant bits since 2022 and there was nothing to add. Now only available because Abasstreppas dropped a link in a skinning thread due to being pinged about it.

Sogard3's Low Deck mod for Eugene's Scania PGRS. The main PGRS mod hasn't updated in almost two years but sees constant traffic, so there's been no point updating the Low Deck mod... so it got deleted. Only way to get it now is to download it from unathorised off-site archives. Still works (I had the current version in my mod folder), but the thread is gone so people can't ask for help if they get stuck with a mod conflict.

Solutech's RemoLED mod, which was well featured accessory pack with a bunch of stuff in it. Solutech apparently vanished and stopped updating, and some of the stuff in the mod stopped working, but a lot of it was still functional. But the mod was only available *here*, and now the thread is gone, and because the thread is gone sharing knowledge of what to change to keep it up to date is no longer possible.

I don't know off hand of any other forum I visit which prunes forum threads due to age and inactivity (and also have a policy of *closing threads* which later justifies deleting them for inactivity), and I think it's hurting the modding community. Especially since a lot of these mods, even if they're old, still work - or would, with a little bit of DIY maintenance...

(My own mods are only distributed officially through here as well, and I can go six month without an update easily unless someone starts asking questions. Questions which a zealous moderator could see as "bumping" and lock the thread for before I see them to answer, as I'm not on *every* day. And then my thread is dead and I can no longer provide help for people.)
-MLP-

#708 Post by -MLP- » 11 Jun 2024 10:00

TheTiger's mods were removed as well.
Madkine
Global moderator

#709 Post by Madkine » 11 Jun 2024 12:19

-MLP- wrote: 11 Jun 2024 10:00 TheTiger's mods were removed as well.
For good reason.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#710 Post by Mohegan13 » 11 Jun 2024 13:05

Mod threads should only be getting removed if they fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. If they are no longer working with any currently available game version (1.35 onwards at time of writing) and are no longer officially supported.
2. If they include stolen content or use another authors content without permission.
3. If a piracy/copyright/trademark infringement (DMCA) claim has been made and verified.
4. If they include any content that goes against any of the forum rules (inappropriate content/paid etc).
5. If the author has been permanently banned (since they'll be unable to update and support it).
6. By author request.

Mod topics should not be removed just for being old/rarely posted in so long as the mod still works. These topics might get locked until the author requests an unlock, but should never be removed.

Mod topics should also not be removed just because of lack of support (assuming it still works), unless the author offers help elsewhere. One of the rules is that support must be given here freely and openly, so if someone posted a mod but only offered support in their discord channel, that would be a mod removal.
Winchester1979 wrote: 10 Jun 2024 20:08 Solutech's RemoLED mod, which was well featured accessory pack with a bunch of stuff in it. Solutech apparently vanished and stopped updating, and some of the stuff in the mod stopped working, but a lot of it was still functional. But the mod was only available *here*, and now the thread is gone, and because the thread is gone sharing knowledge of what to change to keep it up to date is no longer possible.
I can't speak for the other topics, but I can say Solutech asked for his topics to be removed. I talk to Matt on a regular basis, it was his choice to have them removed.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
You only live once and my advice,
take a trip to cloud 9 I like,
that feeling of euphoria, it's nice

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”