Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#7121 Post by flight50 » 10 Jun 2024 16:53

I can deal with those mountains much easier than 2017 and older. At some point the mountain will all need to look pretty similar in regards to quality. But the worst offenders are the oldest by far.
Xefjord

#7122 Post by Xefjord » 10 Jun 2024 21:48

There is some little things that put me off with some of the older maps as well. Mountains are the most obvious example, but I felt it driving through Oregon the other day too. There is many places in eastern Oregon where it feels it abruptly goes from dead grass to green grass. and I feel like they could blend things better together now than they could before. I never feel too put off by the color changes in the great plains. But its pretty blatant in some parts of Oregon.
flight50

#7123 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2024 00:03

Before Idaho, the standards were not as ripe as they are now. Definitely many tweaks to be made up to Idaho. Phase 3 California is a prime example of older content getting updated to better quality. Not just better quality, but new economy is making its way into the game. Older prefabs finally getting newer standards to accommodate 53' trailers and longer. Pup doubles where even around until Summer of 2017. A 1.5 years after ATS launched. So prefabs have come a long ways. Even better, we now have custom prefabs. This should be a joy to see how much these drastically improve our game world. New mapping standards are not perfect, but much much better than 2016-2019 that's for sure. Summer of 2020 is when things really made a quality stance and its great to see the base map at least meet that.

Phase 4, then on to Nevada, then Arizona. I'm cool waiting for map updates beyond Arizona. At that point, the entire map will be accessible again for many people I'd imagine. Me personally, I'm not going back to the base map on my main profile until certain paths, unlock more direct paths.
Brendan0620

#7124 Post by Brendan0620 » 11 Jun 2024 00:53

oldmanclippy wrote: 07 Jun 2024 20:47 Yeah Nevada was also my favorite 2016 state, just really enjoyed driving those desolate roads. If they can pull off those distant views with good mountain models and faithful recreations of some of the summits, passes, and basins, then Nevada could become my favorite state in the game once again just from the sheer awe of it all.
Back then, when I was playing ATS in it's first year, I was more in love with the central valley of California with the I-5 from LA to Stockton and CA-99 from Bakersfield to Stockton and saw myself taking many trips back and forth on that route. I-80 in Nevada was also a route I took often but back in the day, my young self really didn't like desert scenery, really only doing it out of necessity because of the lack of states in-game and found myself taking routes across I-80 in Nevada and I-10/I-8 in Arizona much less. I started opening up my mind more to desert states/scenery when New Mexico came out, I thought New Mexico was a revolution when it came out due to it's (at the time) superb road network and nice views, which were that way in 2017 but are now apart of the pack of older states and I do agree with the notion that some of New Mexico should get a refresh and maybe some roads get either touched up with new textures or rebuilt, not sure what would be the best way to approach New Mexico when the time comes for that sometime in the distant future.

When Reforma's Sierra Nevada came out a few years ago, I thought they did an amazing job recreating I-80 in Nevada and it really was enjoyable. With the bar being raised by SCS on quality every year, I expect I-80 when fully rebuilt in Nevada to be stellar.

To circle back to the central valley of California, I thought Phase 3 looked much better and it was really fun to look out the window while driving and see the valleys and hills around the roads, even though I still have quite some nostalgia over the pre-rescale and pre-rebuild Central Valley and will forever cherish those times driving back and forth in the region, I'm excited to take more trips back and forth on the I-5 and CA-99 when Phase 4 comes along.
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
Kistk3

#7125 Post by Kistk3 » 11 Jun 2024 02:13

The last Christmas event, showed how much better the mountains can be, SCS knows now and has the skills, I do hope anytime in the future, we do get these in the older areas of Rocky Mountains in ATS.
flight50

#7126 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2024 12:17

Speaking of Reforma, me personally, I give them and PaZz mods credit for pushing SCS to rebuild the base map. Prior to 1.40, I used them faithfully. They put a ton of fun into ATS in the West. I refused to play without those until they merged Mexico with 1.40. I gained patience and viola, SCS announced rebuilds.

SN was talked about constantly and I honestly think SCS took notice. People requested them to redo all the base map which is a tall order for a small team of 3-4. This changed everything and for the better imho.
Shiva

#7127 Post by Shiva » 11 Jun 2024 12:28

I had a Mexico mod, until reforma went and made spaghetti of South California.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Tristman

#7128 Post by Tristman » 11 Jun 2024 13:37

It was a bit if an odd fusion, since it seemed like people either loved the base map rebuild and didn’t care for Mexico, or vice versa. Personally I was more interested in the Mexico part of Reforma.
But I agree it’s possible their reworks have shown SCS the merit of rebuilding the base map.
SuchManor

#7129 Post by SuchManor » 11 Jun 2024 16:12

Southern CA looks incredible in Reforma. I’d be surprised if SCS is able to get that same vibe in the rework.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
Seerman

#7130 Post by Seerman » 11 Jun 2024 16:49

Sierra Nevada National Park was done very well by Reforma. I didn't know such a place existed before I put this map. SCS unfortunately didn't even come close to what Reforma did.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

Return to “General discussion about the game”