Game randomly kicks me back to the main menu while driving.

Johan

Game randomly kicks me back to the main menu while driving.

#1 Post by Johan » 10 Jul 2013 21:45

I am encountering a bug which makes the game pretty much unplayable after updating the game to v1.4.1.

After selecting a quick job and driving around for a few minutes, the game suddenly kicks me back to the main menu as if nothing happened.

It looks like it 'cancelled' the job i was completing. I did not lose/gain any money/XP or whatsoever.

This has happened 3 times in a row now in less than half an hour, very randomly, after driving around for less than 10 minutes. Each time i was driving around in a different truck, using a different trailer and selecting a different job.

I deselected all mods i was using and tried again to make sure none of these mods was causing this problem but unfortunately the bug still persists. There is no error message and i am able to start a new job.

Will start a new game and see if it happens again. Perhaps it could have something to do with my 1.3.1 savegame but i highly doubt it.

EDIT:

started a new game, completed two jobs and so far so good. It looks like my 1.3.1 savegame was causing the issue. Will keep testing it thoroughly the next few days to make sure it's 100% fixed.

If others are/were experiencing the same issue, please let us know.
Flemming V
Global moderator

Re: Game randomly kicks me back to the main menu while drivi

#2 Post by Flemming V » 11 Jul 2013 08:02

This is probably caused by a mod which was saved along with your savegame in 1.3.1
I have not seen this before, not even in all the beta versions.
You could try and see what the log or console writes when it happen.
Johan

#3 Post by Johan » 15 Jul 2013 20:47

I experienced this very same issue yet again last night. It all started after i updated the game to v1.4.1 and it does not seem to be caused by a mod.

I'm thinking there is a bug in update v1.4.1 that is causing this, and unfortunately beta updates don't seem to fix this.
MarcusYork

#4 Post by MarcusYork » 17 Jul 2013 11:30

i am having the same Problem with my old save from 1.3.1 will try to start a new game but my old save had a lot of Money earned and i was Level 17 so it would be nice if you could fix this Problem with the old saves
ohaha

#5 Post by ohaha » 17 Jul 2013 18:18

The "kick back to menu" issue is due to the new error handling algorithms, implemented in the latest patch. The game will try to assess the level of incompatibility and, instead of just crashing (like it did before), returns you back to the menu to give you the opportunity to load a different save.
If possible, the game will, also, try to solve some of the issues, by cancelling current deliveries and placing your truck in a safe position on the map. This might create a big problem, especially with saves based on a map mod profile, because the new map format is different than the one of the mod. There is, of course, a certain level of errors above which the game decides the save is unrecoverable.
My advice is to revert to the 1.3.1 version and try to drive to a safe spot (one that is on the original map) and then remove the map mod and save the game. Then try updating and see if it works. Heavily modified maps, with expanded economy and large lists of cargo types added will be very hard to recover. A solution would be to sell all of your trucks, so that no hired driver has a modded cargo, in 1.3.1, drop all deliveries and hope the new version will accept your save. Then you can buy them back... Just hope you don't have a garage in an added part of the map! :D
It's a long shot but, who knows?
Retired, but still loving it.
Johan

#6 Post by Johan » 17 Jul 2013 21:40

ohaha wrote:The "kick back to menu" issue is due to the new error handling algorithms, implemented in the latest patch. The game will try to assess the level of incompatibility and, instead of just crashing (like it did before), returns you back to the menu to give you the opportunity to load a different save.
I didn't know the game uses a different way to handle errors, so thanks for explaining this. Weird thing is though, that the game has only crashed a few times since i started playing it back in January, and that i am experiencing a lot more of these "getting kicked back to the main menu crashes" than before the game got updated to v1.4.1. It's good to know that the game tries to recover these situations, but i believe something is making the game crash more often than it did prior to v1.4.1.

ohaha wrote:If possible, the game will, also, try to solve some of the issues, by cancelling current deliveries and placing your truck in a safe position on the map. This might create a big problem, especially with saves based on a map mod profile, because the new map format is different than the one of the mod.
I have never used a map mod. As a matter of fact, i am not using any mods at all. Unfortunately, the problem persists.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#7 Post by Wolfi » 17 Jul 2013 21:45

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=22940
Another fine example of this bug probably caused by mod interfering with autosaving
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
ohaha

#8 Post by ohaha » 17 Jul 2013 22:26

Johan wrote:i am not using any mods at all
... and never did? then that is pretty serious, because we're talking about a virgin game which should never fail (OK this is a beta, but, still...)
Retired, but still loving it.
Johan

#9 Post by Johan » 17 Jul 2013 22:51

Of course i did :D

But when i discovered about the issue we are discussing here, i decided to start all over again and remove all mods entirely to see if it would happen again and to be able to exclude mods as a possible culprit.

Never tried a map mod though.
Prokman

#10 Post by Prokman » 19 Jul 2013 10:29

I experience exactly the same issue also.

I began to play the game in version 1.3.1, using only one mod, a speed limiter removal. Game was running smoothly and without any kind problems (i have reach level 14).

Yesterday i decided to upgrade to 1.4.1. I saw as well that in 1.4.1 they implemented a speed limiter removal, so i deleted the mod.
I then loaded my save. In the 1st job, after 7 minutes (real time) of driving, "kick back to menu" happened with the same consequences that topic maker describes. I used to load the last auto-save before the crash (in order not to lose the job) but it was happening again after ~5 minutes.

Eventually, i thought that the game is pretty not playable any more.

I quote here the last lines of my game.log.txt :

Code: Select all

00:09:29.656 : Game has been auto-saved.
00:09:29.894 : quit
00:09:31.279 : [dx9] NVAPI unloaded
00:09:31.376 : [net]  LOG INFO: Stopped
00:09:31.595 : [sys] process shutdown
PS: I note that game does few successful auto-saves before the crash, that allow you not to lose your job and continue your route (at least before the 1st crash).
Last edited by Prokman on 19 Jul 2013 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “bugs 1.4.1”