What does Adaptive automatic transmission option do?

rodrigoxm49

Re: What does Adaptive automatic transmission option do?

#51 Post by rodrigoxm49 » 26 May 2015 15:54

gerbiepiep wrote:Anyone else noticing the issue with this transmission option that the truck hardly ever gets into 12th gear, so far it keeps sticking in 11th gear.
Cadde wrote:gerbiepiep, does it do the same without a trailer? Downslope? How does it behave?

You need to pass 1500rpm to get 12th gear. A truck driver say that is a normal behaviour and its very accurate.
DWVTLtd

#52 Post by DWVTLtd » 26 May 2015 16:40

The skill comes from getting into 12th as early as possible + maintaining it for as long as possible.
Mikeinva

#53 Post by Mikeinva » 27 Nov 2015 03:21

I'm using real automatic with the G27 wheel but want to try using full manual with splitter but can't seem to get my shifter configured at all. ight now I'm just using the shifter in it's home position for neutral,one position forward for drive and one position nb ack for reverse. I would just stick with that if I could switch around the settings drive and reverse to say go to the left and up for drive and down and right for reverse but unfortunately the game doesn't allow for it so how do you program the splitter and individual gears with the stick?

Ive scoured youtube for videos on this without any luck already.
Murph

#54 Post by Murph » 06 Dec 2015 15:05

gerbiepiep wrote:Anyone else noticing the issue with this transmission option that the truck hardly ever gets into 12th gear, so far it keeps sticking in 11th gear.
Cadde wrote:gerbiepiep, does it do the same without a trailer? Downslope? How does it behave?
rodrigoxm49 wrote:You need to pass 1500rpm to get 12th gear. A truck driver say that is a normal behaviour and its very accurate.
DWVTLtd wrote:The skill comes from getting into 12th as early as possible + maintaining it for as long as possible.
No, it's not really about getting to 12th as early as possible. It's about keeping the engine in the max torque zone while cruising (with the possible exception of significant uphill gradient), which is typically approx 1000–1500 rpm, sometimes marked as a green zone on the tachometer. That's also the fuel efficient zone.

Sometimes, however, it's about getting to 11th/12th as late as possible, such as when accelerating up a steep hill from a standing or slow start, and it's desirable to push the engine up to around 2000rpm before changing up (the game will only allow this if adaptive auto is enabled or you use manual gear changes). You temporarily sacrifice fuel efficiency to get up to highway speed instead of crawling up a hill very slowly. Remember that max torque is typically fairly flat across 1000–1500rpm, but max power isn't reached until around 2000rpm; if you never go above 1500rpm your engine will only ever deliver around 50% of its power output.

If you're not cruising at a high enough speed, you won't get into 12th, and 10th or 11th is actually the gear you should be in. Exactly what that speed is depends on the ratios in the transmission and final drive. The Scania R730, for example, mostly cruises comfortably at 80kph in 11th below 1500rpm, although can also hold 80kph in 12th on the flat or descending gradients; you don't really need 12th on it until you're cruising above 80kph. Some others that I've tried in the game seem to have a slower ratio for 12th, and will normally drop into it at 80kph.

There's often 2 choices of gear for cruising and keeping the engine in the magic 1000–1500rpm range. If the road is mostly flat and straight, the higher of the 2 choices of gear may be appropriate; but if there's frequent uphill gradient and/or corners, the lower of the 2 choices may help you maintain your desired cruising speed. If you bind keys to the automatic gearbox hint feature (I use PgUp / PgDown), you can influence it a bit. 1400rpm and easily maintaining speed is better than 1000rpm and struggling to maintain speed.

Edit: Some information from the real world, which I believe corresponds very closely to the simulated model in the game. A picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

Scania's official torque and power graphs and specification for the DC16 103 730 Euro 6
[ external image ]

Maximum power: 730 hp (537 kW) at 1900 r/min
Maximum torque: 3500 Nm between 1000 and 1400 r/min

So, I was exaggerating a little when I originally said above that you will only get about 50% of the power by changing up at 1500. I didn't check the graphs at the time, just used my memory of them, forgot that they are not zero based, and actually show only the top 50%.

The point stands, however, that changing up at 1500 means you spend relatively little time with the engine delivering maximum power, and your 730hp engine is actually only a 500hp engine when you engage the next gear at 1000 rpm by changing up as early as possible. In contrast, when you need that power (e.g. to accelerate quickly on the flat, or for a significant gradient), if you keep the engine in the 1500-2000 rpm zone at all times, your power is always close to maximum. Although torque is the turning force, the power is how quickly it can be delivered, and staying in the power band gives you the rate of acceleration. Once the acceleration is no longer required, the torque band maintains your speed (and precisely 1400 rpm on that engine is the point where you have maximum ability to maintain speed, where the two graphs cross).
Last edited by Deemer on 06 Dec 2015 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed pyramid quote. [2.4]
Ian_83

#55 Post by Ian_83 » 14 Dec 2015 20:37

Mikeinva wrote:I'm using real automatic with the G27 wheel but want to try using full manual with splitter but can't seem to get my shifter configured at all. ight now I'm just using the shifter in it's home position for neutral,one position forward for drive and one position nb ack for reverse. I would just stick with that if I could switch around the settings drive and reverse to say go to the left and up for drive and down and right for reverse but unfortunately the game doesn't allow for it so how do you program the splitter and individual gears with the stick?

When I started playing ETS2, I had to set everything up within the 'input wizard'. I selected H-shifter, Range pattern.

The gears are then fairly simple to grasp.
[ external image ]
To get reverse gear, you have to push the gearstick down and into the 6th gear position.

Changing gears manually is easy, remember that you don't need to start in 1st gear at all. If I'm loaded, I usually start off in 4th gear, and I'll go something like: 4th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th. If you have no trailer, you can be lazy and start in 7th gear and literally go: 7th. 10th, 12th. There are two other things to master, firstly don't change gear too fast, if you change gears too fast you will grind them, press the clutch down, change the gear and then listen for the air valve to go 'psst' then raise the clutch. It's about a second delay or less. Secondly mastering the downshifts is important, you don't want to put it into a gear that's far too low for the trucks speed as it will literally rev its nuts off.
Last edited by Ian_83 on 14 Dec 2015 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Max
SCS Software

#56 Post by Max » 14 Dec 2015 20:54

just note that on picture is splitter pattern.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Ian_83

#57 Post by Ian_83 » 14 Dec 2015 21:00

Well spotted...... I really should've studied that one more closely..... :oops: Thanks

I've corrected it.
natvander
SCS Software

#58 Post by natvander » 15 Dec 2015 11:48

Mikeinva wrote:I'm using real automatic with the G27 wheel but want to try using full manual with splitter but can't seem to get my shifter configured at all. ight now I'm just using the shifter in it's home position for neutral,one position forward for drive and one position nb ack for reverse. I would just stick with that if I could switch around the settings drive and reverse to say go to the left and up for drive and down and right for reverse but unfortunately the game doesn't allow for it so how do you program the splitter and individual gears with the stick?

Are you saying you want to have a splitter gearbox using real automatic? Or that you currently use real automatic but would like to use h-shifter (manual), only you can't get it to work?
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Volvo-FH-FAN

#59 Post by Volvo-FH-FAN » 15 Dec 2015 20:02

My volvo works fine with it

That's what it does it basically works like sport mode
It hold the gear in longer and changes gear when the revs are higher

Making the truck accelerate better I've configured mine I can go from auto to manual back to auto buy switching a button so I can downshift when in auto I have adaptive.

I downshift at hills so it goes up better

I think if you did a experiment one running in manual and one on auto before you come to the hill both trucks do 55 mph then one stays in auto and manual downshifts I bet you that the manual would go up alot better
Reider

#60 Post by Reider » 10 Apr 2016 22:20

What I did initially was open the settings, set the wheel up with an up/down arrow so it gets recognised (ok you got that part) then use the + to add the shifter (yours may be included as part of the wheel or seperate). Go to the controls and set as follows (yours may be different as the shifter is built in, mine is Logitech but with an adaptor so standalone-but at least this gives you an idea). The way you set yours up may be slightly or a lot different if all one unit.

Shifter Layout = Custom Range_splitter <<<< You choose the setting you want here with the menu choices (see note 1 below)
Shifter Position: reverse = Joy2Button7 (See note 2 below)
Shifter Position 1 Joy2Button 0 (See note 2 below)
Shifter Position 2 Joy2Button 1 (See note 2 below)
Shifter Position 3 Joy2Button 2 (See note 2 below)
Shifter Position 4 Joy2Button 3 (See note 2 below)
Shifter Position 5 Joy2Button 4 (See note 2 below)
Shifter Position 6: Joy2Button 5 (See note 2 below)

Shifter Toggle: 1 = Set to any button you can remember (See note 2 below)
Shifter Toggle: 2 = Set to any button you can remember (See note 2 below)

NOTE 1:

Try range, splitter, all the custom setups, everything in the list one by one AFTER you set all the Shifter Positions AND the 2 Shifter Toggles. See what gears they give you and if anything is useful, RANGE may be best as it gives you 1,2,3,4,5 and 6th gear then press a button from the Shifter Toggles and you get 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12th gear (low and high box). Splitter may be 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 hit the toggle/s and get 2,4,6,8,10,12 gears from the same levers. Either match the shifter layout to the traditional truck gears or your personal needs, or a mix of the two.

NOTE 2:

To get the shifter reverse and gears 1-6 you click on them in the settings one at a time and select the gear on the shifter itself, then in theory it fills in something like;

Shifter Position 1 Joy2Button 0

But in my case 1,2,3,4 gears worked. Gear 5 took out gear 3 and put it in 5. Gear 6 took out gear 4 and put it in 6. I repeated and repeated it and it did it every time, reverse was tricky and I noticed it registered each gear in the settings as I toook the gear back into neutral, not as it was put into gear-so reverse is tricky as its push down, pull back, push forward slowly and as it drops it registers in the settings. I then opened the Controls.sii up with Notepad++ and filled them all in manually as I could see what numbers they were all using, saved it and got them all including 5th and 6th which were not registering properly by selecting the gear in the shifter. Gear 5 and 6 only worked when pulled to the right, if not they reported the wrong gears of 3 and 4, duplicates-I had gear 3 and 4 twice in different locations.

No matter if you use Range, Splitter, custom splitter or anything else you need these Shifter Positions filled in. They are then applied by the program to the type of Shifter Layout you choose. If all 6 of yours work then either RANGE or SPLITTER or RANGE SPLITTER may be best for you, your choice. For me personally only 4 gears + reserve work so I made a setting for 4 gears that worked with 2 x Shifter Toggles to give all 12 gears and the Reverse gear too with 2 speeds. One toggle to shift LOW/HIGH Box and the other toggle to split the box so I could get say 2 on the toggle and 7/8 with a toggle to split the two, so first press gives 7th gear and second press gives 8th gear. If 7th then all splits on all gears are odd number range and if 8 then all splits are even numbers on all the gears.

I hope this sets you on the right path and is not too wide of the mark for what info you need, apologies if not. With mine I transferred the files to ATS when finished in ETS2 and got that sorted really quickly. In there I get LOW gear (crawler gear before 1st), 1, 2, 3, toggle then 4, 6, 8, 10 toggle then 5, 7, 9, 11 and a slow Reverse + a higher speed Reverse. The reverses naturally only work when the toggles are set for low box, not high box so that keeps it safe. So many choices but no 12th in ATA, unlike ETS2-11th is ample though and does not over rev. lol

EDIT: I have no clutch pedal so my clutch is set to automatic. If you have a clutch pedal then it needs to be set up in the contols. Without that the gears do not work properly, the splitters etc may not show the gears working. Another point I failed to mention, when drawing up to traffic lights etc and stopping, the gear number will show neutral on the dash guages. As soon as you press the accellerator the gear number shows again.

Check out this YouTube clip on setting things up, starts at 0:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stU50R5vhrQ
Last edited by Reider on 11 Apr 2016 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion about the game”