[Tutorial] Using ETS2 Studio to make ATS Truck Skins

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Carman

[Tutorial] Using ETS2 Studio to make ATS Truck Skins

#1 Post by Carman » 08 Feb 2016 00:00

After nearly pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to create skins for ATS using ETS2 Studio, I have finally figured it out and I'm here to share it with those who are in the same frustrating situation I was in. Majority of the credit goes to pirozhkoff who helped me figure all this out.

I. Creating Your .dds File
This is the file that your whole texture mod revolves around since it is the texture file itself. Without it, you wouldn't have a skin. I'm not going to go into the nuances of how to make a skin as that is way beyond the scope of this tutorial. After making your texture in the photo editing software of your choice, the end result must be a .dds file. If your program does not allow you to save or export as .dds, download Paint.net to save your image as .dds using these settings:

This options menu will pop up right when you are about to save.

II. Building the "Framework" For Your Texture Mod Using ETS2 Studio
Once you have your .dds file ready to go, it's time to build the "framework" for your texture mod. This is how we actually get your .dds texture to appear in-game. Otherwise, you'd just have an image file floating around your computer. For those of you who don't know, before ETS2 Studio was a thing, creating texture mods was beyond tedious.

1.) First, load up ETS2 Studio and click on any random default truck in ETS2. It doesn't matter which truck you pick (you'll see why in a little bit) as it's completely irrelevant.

2.) Then, move over to the "Skin Properties" tab and just follow these steps:
a. For "Skin name," name your skin to whatever you want.
b. For "Skin internal name," set the name you want ATS to "read" your skin as. You can set it to whatever you like, just as long as there are no other mods using the same internal name or it will create a conflict. In other words, you can't make two skins using the same internal name.
c. Set Airbrush for "Skin Type."
d. Set "Unlock at level" and "Skin Price" as desired
e. Check "Set skin as stock." UPDATE 2/15/16: Leave "Use Alternate UV Set" unchecked. Enabling it will distort your skin.
f. Set "Base color" as desired; ignore "Suitable for cabin."

3.) In the "Truck Skin," browse for your .dds file. A preview of your texture will appear on the bottom.

4.) Set the image you want to be displayed in the Workshop/Showroom in-game in the "Workshop Icon" tab. If you're too lazy to make one, just click "Use Default." If you do feel like making one, the image must be 256x64 and .dds.

5.) Click on "Export Mod" and save as a .zip file.

III. Editing the "Framework"
Now, this is where we make your texture to be compatible with ATS. The .zip file you created in ETS2 Studio will only work with whatever random truck you selected in ETS2, which is not what we want.

Simply extract the .zip file you created using ETS2 Studio and navigate to: def\vehicle\truck. In there, you should see a folder with a name resembling the random truck you chose in ETS2 Studio. We are going to change the name of this folder to either "peterbilt.579" or "kenworth.t680" depending on the truck you are texturing (without quotes). Now you see why the truck you chose earlier is irrelevant. Inside the same folder, you will find a folder called "paint_job" and in that folder, a .sii file with the internal name you chose for your skin. Open this file with either Wordpad or Notepad and find the line: "accessory_paint_job_data : <your texture's internal name>.<random truck you selected>.paint_job". Replace <random truck you selected> with either "peterbilt.579" or "kenworth.t680."

Once that is all done, just zip up the three folders found in the original .zip folder (def, material, and vehicle) by highlighting the three folders, right clicking > Send To > Compressed (zipped) folder. The end result will be the mod file that you pop into the mods folder of ATS.
Last edited by Carman on 16 Feb 2016 00:34, edited 2 times in total.

piva

Re: [Tutorial] Using ETS2 Studio to make ATS Truck Skins

#2 Post by piva » 08 Feb 2016 07:31

MildredRatchedRN wrote:I. Creating Your .dds File
ETS2 Studio supprt PNG file too. Also you don't have to do special .DDS file with alpha and MIP's, so ETS2 studio convert you file to game format always.

Thank you for the detailed tutorial.

Diamante473

#3 Post by Diamante473 » 08 Feb 2016 15:44

Thanks! I hope I make this works, I was trying to make the skins with Studio, but I didn't succeed. I'll tell you if I could.

Captain_Zero

#4 Post by Captain_Zero » 09 Feb 2016 13:56

This has helped a lot!

Thanks for making this!

First Actual Usable Created Truck Skin

T18

#5 Post by T18 » 11 Feb 2016 00:40

I know I have to be doing something wrong but, I cannot seem to get my skin to show up in game. Anyone know what I maybe doing wrong. I'm trying to skin the Kenworth, I copy and rename the folder and change the string in the sii but I get nothing in game, no new skin option in the game at all. If anyone wants I can upload my zip for you to check it for me and see where I've messed it up. Thanks.

Diamante473

#6 Post by Diamante473 » 11 Feb 2016 04:23

Thank you! I finally made it :D

seriosbrad

#7 Post by seriosbrad » 12 Feb 2016 00:52

Anyone know how to unlock custom colors in the shop? I don't have any colors locked using ETS2 Studio but when I go to change the colors of the base in-game it doesn't work.

jaws

#8 Post by jaws » 12 Feb 2016 14:35

OMFG! Your so brilliant!! Thank you so much, this is just what i needed to make my skin.

Best guide ever.
8-) I am Always on latest patch.
Forum TUT! SCS Support->-> support@scssoft.com
I dont use mods....(Or maybe i will soon again..)

Carman

#9 Post by Carman » 12 Feb 2016 17:50

T18 wrote:I know I have to be doing something wrong but, I cannot seem to get my skin to show up in game. Anyone know what I maybe doing wrong. I'm trying to skin the Kenworth, I copy and rename the folder and change the string in the sii but I get nothing in game, no new skin option in the game at all. If anyone wants I can upload my zip for you to check it for me and see where I've messed it up. Thanks.
Sure, send me the .zip and I'll take a look at it.

Zyron

#10 Post by Zyron » 12 Feb 2016 20:09

T18 wrote:I know I have to be doing something wrong but, I cannot seem to get my skin to show up in game. Anyone know what I maybe doing wrong. I'm trying to skin the Kenworth, I copy and rename the folder and change the string in the sii but I get nothing in game, no new skin option in the game at all. If anyone wants I can upload my zip for you to check it for me and see where I've messed it up. Thanks.

I also have the same problem.. but it's for the Peterbilt 389 by Viper. I have done exactly like the tutorial but no skin is showing up.. I have even "opened up" a skin made for the same truck by Viper that is showing in game, and i have compared the Sii file with my skin.. It's all the same but it still don't show up..

Realy don't know what i'm doing wrong.. and i have made alot skins for ETS 2 previously.

Return to “Modding Guides”