Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

BK Vissers

#81 Post by BK Vissers » 17 Feb 2017 13:47

Much Needed Repairs

Jan

I wasn't sure just how bad the damage to my Scot was, so I was relieved to find a load in Tucson headed - of all places - back to HMS in San Diego. Precisely where I wanted to go so Mike there could check my truck out.

The warehouse was a huge place, they had several trucks inside and forklifts roaming about loading and unloading trailers.

Drive-Thru Warehouse

I checked in with one of the guys near the shipping office, and was told to wait; the steel pipes were being strapped to the trailer right now.

Hey Mac, is it going to be much longer?

21 tons of steel pipes, on an 8 ton trailer. I wanted to be able to haul heavier loads than this but with less than 300HP it was going to be a real bother.

Today's mystery: why would a heavy equipment repair shop need steel pipes?

In fact, unless I was going downhill, my Scot would not exceed 59mph. It was a bit uncomfortable when everything else in Arizona was passing me at the speed limit of 75, or faster, and I had insufficient power to merge easily. Everything became a strategic game as I had to plan my moves miles ahead. It felt at times I was climbing up a mountain.

More Powerrrrr!

When I got to San Diego, Mike was pretty surprised to see me. He didn't expect me to have a delivery for him; it was a coincidence he hired me to haul to Tucson and here I was returning with a load for HMS. He told me he would try to find a proper bumper for my Scot and make sure everything else was all right. My truck went into the garage right away.

Leaving my girl at the doctor's

It was about a mile or two back to my place from HMS. Mike offered me a lift but I declined. It was sunny and hot, but I needed to stretch my legs. The past couple of days I ate, drove and slept in my truck and felt the urge to get some exercise.

With this heat you would never think that in Northern California it's snowing

Across the street was a Chinese take-out restaurant, and I stopped there to get something to eat. I was out of work for a few days at least...

Time for an unplanned break
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hakan

#82 Post by Hakan » 17 Feb 2017 16:32

Great story Mate! i like it again! i'm Driving the Scot A2HD too now :D
Game Version 1.27 (Steam) - All Map DLC Going East + Scandinavia + Vive La France
Owner Celik Logistics Liege Belgium Story Teller Adventure Maker Screenshots Maker! Truck Spotter!

BK Vissers

Re: Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

#83 Post by BK Vissers » 17 Feb 2017 18:12

Oh great! It's a fun little truck. I hope you try it first with the smaller engine for a more realistic 1970s trucking experience. Hounddog made some lovely company skins for it on Steam workshop.
ImageImage
ImageImage

BK Vissers

#84 Post by BK Vissers » 19 Feb 2017 21:46

Run, run, runaway

While Jan Vissers waited for his truck to be repaired, an unorthodox couple were in a 1987 Freightliner FLB* in a parking lot in Vermont, certain that waiting around might be deadly, at least for one of them.

Wake up

The old truck's owner woke up to find his young passenger was already awake, and ready to travel, whereas he wanted a drink and to stay in bed. Maybe it wasn't that strange: she was in her 20s; he was almost 60. He could have been her grandfather. Maybe if his wife hadn't left him over his drinking, he might have even had grandkids.

Houseguest

With a groan he got out of the sleeper and sat behind the wheel, lit a cigarette and looked at "Jane" if that was her real name. She didn't want to say much, she told him, because what he didn't know couldn't hurt him. He wasn't convinced.

"Please, Burt, let's go!" Jane begged, looking around outside the truck. He turned the key. He'd take the back roads, he decided. They can't watch everywhere.

Last night's dinner wrappers were scattered about the cab. He didn't have a lot of money but decided to stop for something better than crackers and chocolate bars for breakfast. Jane ate in silence, watching the parking lot, but thanked him for his kindness when they got back in the truck.

Jane's best meal in days

Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois all were behind them before Jane felt safe enough to use the sleeper while he drove. Before that she would doze in the passenger seat, and sometimes when he woke in the middle of the night he saw her there, awake, smoking a cigarette and staring out the windows.

"Poor kid," he thought to himself, before checking his mirrors to see no familiar cars behind.

Loneliest road in Wisconsin

At a gas station in the middle of nowhere, Jane asked Burt to pull over so she could use the facilities. While he waited and topped off the tanks, he wondered about Jane. She was in trouble, there was no doubt. And for now, the Freightliner was a safe haven. But for how long could they keep it up? Would running across a continent be far enough? She said Jack was crazy. Was he crazy enough to try to track her down thousands of miles away?

Pit Stop

They stopped to rest in places where there usually were others around, in towns when he had no trailer to pull and parking was easy in store lots.

Less easy were the sleeping arrangements. Now that Jane was willing to actually sleep properly, they had to share the bed, or alternate their sleeping times. Burt knew he was old enough to be her grandfather, and besides, the bed was meant for one. She would sleep when he got up in the morning.

It's safer when there are others around

*Freightliner FLB Mod courtesy of Harven
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hakan

#85 Post by Hakan » 20 Feb 2017 00:36

Very Amazing & Cool Story!
Game Version 1.27 (Steam) - All Map DLC Going East + Scandinavia + Vive La France
Owner Celik Logistics Liege Belgium Story Teller Adventure Maker Screenshots Maker! Truck Spotter!

Hounddog

#86 Post by Hounddog » 20 Feb 2017 01:49

Great story's and trucks 8-)
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

killerxy

#87 Post by killerxy » 20 Feb 2017 05:52

Wow what an awesome story :D

obelihnio

#88 Post by obelihnio » 20 Feb 2017 14:14

Fantastic as always. The cast keeps getting bigger :shock: :? 8-)
ImageImageImage

SpottedHyena

#89 Post by SpottedHyena » 21 Feb 2017 13:07

Look at that old Freightshaker.

I actually got a chance to ride in my cousin's (when he had it) Freightliner Cascadia. There's a reason they call 'em freight shakers.
Furry Trucker!
Truck: 1954 Peterbilt 351, 350 H.P. Cummins NHC.
Last Call Specialty Freight Make the first call, your last!
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=225799 Screenshots/Story Page!

BK Vissers

#90 Post by BK Vissers » 28 Feb 2017 14:45

Hakan wrote:Very Amazing & Cool Story!
Hounddog wrote:Great story's and trucks 8-)
killerxy wrote:Wow what an awesome story :D
Thanks, guys! Glad you like it! :)
obelihnio wrote:Fantastic as always. The cast keeps getting bigger :shock: :? 8-)
I know! I can't help it! :lol:
SpottedHyena wrote:Look at that old Freightshaker.

I actually got a chance to ride in my cousin's (when he had it) Freightliner Cascadia. There's a reason they call 'em freight shakers.
Amazing, huh? Yet they are the best selling heavy truck in North America. Fleets, man, fleets... ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Game”