WHY!!!!!

NavyGuy2007

WHY!!!!!

#1 Post by NavyGuy2007 » 06 Aug 2017 04:14

Why in the name of all that is holy are ATS and ETS mods always hosted on such sketchy sites with browser hijacks and other nonsense!
Axel Slingerland

Re: WHY!!!!!

#2 Post by Axel Slingerland » 06 Aug 2017 04:56

The same reason anyone does anything "sketchy"... Greed. There's no need for any of that "all that is holy" stuff. Just get Firefox and Adblock Plus and they won't bother you anymore.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
SiSL
SCS Software

#3 Post by SiSL » 06 Aug 2017 05:06

Not always.

I host my mods at Steam Workshop with free updates :D I don't really use non-Workshop mods anymore. If I like a mod a lot, I encourage modder for Steam Workshop too.

Painless for everyone...
NavyGuy2007

#4 Post by NavyGuy2007 » 06 Aug 2017 05:32

Axel Slingerland wrote: 06 Aug 2017 04:56 There's no need for any of that "all that is holy" stuff.
It's just an expression dude, calm down. Firefox and ABP doesn't catch all of it.
Axel Slingerland

#5 Post by Axel Slingerland » 06 Aug 2017 05:44

That was a joke. You have heard of them, right? If I get any calmer, I'll be asleep. If ABP doesn't stop them, try adding Block Site to Firefox as well. I haven't seen any ads on sites like that for quite some time.
[ external image ]

TwinShadow

#6 Post by TwinShadow » 06 Aug 2017 05:56

I use Chrome with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and ScriptSafe. Tedious on some sites, but necessary to prevent click-jacking, browser hijacking, etc..

Also, Steam Workshop can die, but that's for another thread. XD *ahem* Ok...

Though to be honest, there aren't a lot of good free file hosting out there. MediaFire used to be good, but I've noticed some stupid things they've been doing lately and no longer support them. Sharemods is alright with the blocking in place, but short of forking the money for hosting your own files, there isn't a lot people can do really.
Axel Slingerland

#7 Post by Axel Slingerland » 06 Aug 2017 06:09

That would defeat the purpose. It would cost them, not make them money.
[ external image ]

SiSL
SCS Software

#8 Post by SiSL » 06 Aug 2017 06:35

TwinShadow wrote: 06 Aug 2017 05:56Also, Steam Workshop can die, but that's for another thread. XD *ahem* Ok...

Though to be honest, there aren't a lot of good free file hosting out there.
It's really not suprising Workshop-haters forgetting about Worlds fastest, largest, most free servers like Google Drive... It's not like mods are being downloaded hundreds times per second and side track for installing multiple stop-sh*t extensions which can be harmful themselves.

Let's not derail the subject. Those hosting sites are for "pennies", not because they are free hosting places.
TwinShadow

#9 Post by TwinShadow » 06 Aug 2017 08:43

Though Google Drive is nice, but depending on how popular a mod gets, they do limit downloads for a while. I use Drive for other things anyway, so the 17 GB I get free is pretty well used up.

Also, we wouldn't be using these extensions if web developers would stop putting up tracking cookies, tracking scripts, and plastering their sites with nonsensical ads that make sites barely function correctly. There's also the potential that these same ad networks could funnel malware through them with javascript exploits and the like.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#10 Post by Mohegan13 » 06 Aug 2017 09:16

Because uploaders just want to push their mods out fast and easy. They don't care what the site might be like, as Axel said, some just want the money per clicks.

I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that Sharemods has become even sketchier. Now It is force opening new windows (regardless of my adblock, ublock, pop-up settings) that are so dodgy my Anti-Virus software is blocking the pages from loading.

I tend to use Google Drive just because it's easy to use, though some of my most popular mods are also available on Workshop to prevent download limits being much of an issue.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.

Return to “General discussion about the game”