Can you use LHD SKRS for RHD driving?

Ilmiont

Can you use LHD SKRS for RHD driving?

#1 Post by Ilmiont » 10 Aug 2017 16:28

Hey all,

Looking to put the final touches on my new setup I'm building later this month. I want to upgrade my G27 shifter to Thrustmaster + SKRS.

However ... the SKRS will be used for both ATS & ETS2. In ATS, obviously LHD. But in ETS2, I always drive RHD (I'm from UK) and that's not going to change. I can't afford two SKRS shifters, and constantly switching them would be a nightmare.

So... anyone use / know what it's like to drive with an LHD shifter, using your left hand (or RHD in right hand)? I can see from the images that it looks like you're meant to use your thumb to shift the split toggle (or is it range!?), so I'm guessing it wouldn't be comfortable in the "wrong" hand?

I generally play ETS2 more than ATS, so maybe I should just buy the RHD one. But assuming I buy CSIO's one, I'd prefer LHD because that's what Eaton's made for...

If anyone can help that'd be great. I'm in pursuit of ultimate realism, but now realism in LHD/RHD is hindering realism in shifters :D

Ilmiont

(edit - mods, I realised too late this might not be the best place for this post; if it gets moved, I understand)
Ilmiont on World of Trucks

EU: 2012 Volvo FH16
US: 2016 Kenworth W900 / 2015 Volvo VNL
Reef

Re: Can you use LHD SKRS for RHD driving?

#2 Post by Reef » 10 Aug 2017 17:09

It's fine, you use your little finger (actually i use the one next to it) to flick the splitter switch instead, I use a right handed (european) shifter with my left hand (UK driving) all the time.
Tigerclaw

#3 Post by Tigerclaw » 10 Aug 2017 18:31

I use it too. I have the version with with the Jake Brake switch, and I use my thumb on the Jake and usually my middle finger for Range and Splitter.

I'll be honest, I still use my shifter in RHD mode even when I'm in a LHD Truck. I just can't shift with my right hand, I've tried. I'm English too, and driven for a living most of my life in RHD vehicles.

I find it quite comfortable to use the SKRS in this way, so I doubt you will have any problems.
Tony
Reef

#4 Post by Reef » 10 Aug 2017 19:16

I actually swap the shifter from left to right depending on whether I'm playing ETS2 with a UK spec truck (most of the time tbh) or ETS2 with a left hooker or obviously ATS, immersion is everything to me, especially now I've effectively forked out 250 quid on a shifter
Ilmiont

#5 Post by Ilmiont » 11 Aug 2017 07:28

Great, thanks both of you. Think I'll end up getting LHD CSIO and a new Thrustmaster.

Reef

#6 Post by Reef » 11 Aug 2017 11:31

Really? You're going for a CSIO? I think you'd better read the other recent topics here and also their own YouTube, Facebook and Twitter pages before committing yourself. Save your time and sanity, if I were you I'd go for either the MegaShifter or the ALMAR
Ilmiont

#7 Post by Ilmiont » 11 Aug 2017 18:31

Will do. Tbh, I'm not sure yet, and I haven't looked too closely into it - that's my work for the next few days. Haven't researched MegaShifter yet, might get the Volvo ALMAR.

Return to “General discussion about the game”